Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

Is the savings there? Making your own....

Posted by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 10:56 AM
  • 8 Replies

sandwich bread, mustard, mayo, etc.....

It's all pretty cheap at the store but also full of crap - looking to see if it's not only healthier but also cheaper to make my own.  I don't mind the work if I know what I'm doing is worth it!

What other every day stuff do you make at home rather than buy at the store?  Marinara sauce, etc?

Thanks!

by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 10:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
diaperstodating
by Angel on Sep. 3, 2013 at 10:57 AM
Bump
KenzieQsMommy
by Heather on Sep. 3, 2013 at 10:59 AM
Lots of women in this group make their own bread. Marinara sauce is easily done. I haven't made it but I know lots of mom's who do.
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Sep. 3, 2013 at 11:04 AM

I found it to be cheaper.

I used to make bread, pasta, rolls, tortillas, bagels and all of our bread needs.  I make ketchup, mayonnaise, pizza/spaghetti sauce, enchilada sauce, taco sauce, salsa, salad dressings (sweet French, Italian, creamy Italian, ranch, Thousand Island, viniagrettes), sloppy joe sauce, taco seasoning, chili seasoning, lemon curd, evaporated and sweetened condensed milk (from powdered milk), even chocolate bark and yogurt.

AzariahsMother
by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 11:58 AM
Good question love to see replies.
Bleacheddecay
by Bronze Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 12:15 PM
1 mom liked this

I think making your own would def be the healthier options. There is a book, Make the Bread, Buy the Butter: What You Should and Shouldn't Cook from Scratch -- Over 120 Recipes for the Best Homemade Foods by Jennifer Reese. I don't always agree with her and she does far more work than I'm willing to do but it's interesting.

matreshka
by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 2:33 PM
1 mom liked this
thanks for the book suggestion.

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

I think making your own would def be the healthier options. There is a book, Make the Bread, Buy the Butter: What You Should and Shouldn't Cook from Scratch -- Over 120 Recipes for the Best Homemade Foods by Jennifer Reese. I don't always agree with her and she does far more work than I'm willing to do but it's interesting.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Terpsichore
by Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 3:05 PM
1 mom liked this

My sister makes her own french fries: boil potatoes for about 5 minutes, slice them in this slicer she has, coat them with coconut butter (some family members are dairy-sensitive) and sea salt, bake for 10 minutes.

shivasgirl
by Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 3:31 PM

with my oldest son running a bread route, we have plenty of bread, rolls and specialty bread to last. I love Duke's mayonnaise so I could never replace that, even my own doesnt compare. We have made ketchup, because our religion avoids onions and garlic and my son lives on ketchup and insists on offering his food...I just made a ton on refries and save $6.50 over what I would have if I had purchased cans... my Italian gramma would slap me silly if I bought jarred sauce of any kind. I dont use many packaged foods at all. I have a celery allergy that is very bad so I have to stay away from stuff with seasoning, spice mixture or "flavorings", besides being vegetarian

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)