Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

How soon do you start saving/planning for Christmas?

Posted by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 10:58 AM
  • 30 Replies

Planning ahead for Christmas can really save money during the holidays, but how soon do you start? I usually start in July picking up something here or there that I know will work and I track it on a spreadsheet so I know how much I've gotten for each person plus how much I've spent on each and in total.

When do you start planning/saving for Christmas?

by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 10:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Sep. 3, 2013 at 11:00 AM

I start in July.  I start saving SB for Amazon gift cards.  I may start picking up a few things that I know I can use for gifts.  I still save the majority of the shopping for November.

AzariahsMother
by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 11:59 AM
Sad to say this year it will be extremely last minute due to some recent changes in our house. Was not sure if Christmas was going to be affordable, but I now know it will haut not sure how much.
Mystres
by Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 12:06 PM

I already have Christmas bought for my little girl

7 other kids in my family, and 6 family members. For less than 300$

i just have to shop for the hubby, and our parents.

how I have done so??  Well for the kids I went to target and shopped the toy section in July when they marked down toys to 50-70% off.  They do this to make room for the new toys that are released for the holidays. 

Bleacheddecay
by Bronze Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 12:13 PM

I ask for a list from my kids with the top three items they want to make it the xmas they want and not costing more than $150 by Thanksgiving. I usually buy everything after Thanksgiving, mostly online. I had to go to online because I didn't know what some of the stuff they wanted was and I couldn't find it locally.

For other I try to buy locally. Last year it was local honey or homemade fig preserves that I had found.

I try to make xmas more about memories and spending positive time together making cookies, seeing the x'mas lights and that sort of thing.

LongBeachLiz
by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 12:13 PM
I used to do this too! I would get tubs of stuff and save it for Xmas, bday, and other kids. This year the sale sucked. My dd is a little too old forthe toys they had and ds was a little too young. Plus they have soooo much I don't want to get anything lol.

Quoting Mystres:

I already have Christmas bought for my little girl

7 other kids in my family, and 6 family members. For less than 300$

i just have to shop for the hubby, and our parents.

how I have done so??  Well for the kids I went to target and shopped the toy section in July when they marked down toys to 50-70% off.  They do this to make room for the new toys that are released for the holidays. 

luvmykidsJC
by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 12:15 PM

I start right after back to school time. I pick up one or two clearance toys every now and again for the kids and buy stuff for other people when I see them on sale really good. I like to be able to enjoy the Christmas season by baking and sending out our Christmas cards, not rushing around crowded stores and stressing about the money we are spending.

Megan11587
by Megan on Sep. 3, 2013 at 12:16 PM
I started shopping about a month ago
chicken13
by Silver Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 1:03 PM

I start right after Xmas.  Post Xmas crapping (as my dh calls it), once it hits 75% off or better.  

Then I pick up stocking stuffers and cool ideas throughout the year as things go on sale, clearance, etc.

final push....after thanksgiving.  Usually the big ticket items.

lillucky8
by Jen on Sep. 3, 2013 at 1:20 PM
I start right after xmas for next year. After xmas clearance is a great time to stock up on gifts. Im usually done by now except for stocking stuffers.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kimscorner
by Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 1:23 PM

I wanted to start this month (September) but it's going to have to be October.  I need to wrap up getting my electric bill all paid up this month, plus my tags on my car are 2 weeks past due.....but getting those today.  Oh yeah, and the heating element just went out in my stove yesterday, so I have to get a new one which is going to cost me about $50.  :(   But at least it was cheaper than what I thought it was going to be.

But October this year for sure!

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN