Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Bad Karma?

Posted by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 3:16 PM
  • 22 Replies
A friend of mine gives me her dds clothes as she outgrows them. They are all in great condition and sometimes are really high end brands. I've been trying to sell some stuff on my local fb garage sale page and thought I might try some of these clothes, now that my dd had outgrown them.
Do you think thats a bad idea? My friend gave them to me, no Strings attached but I didn't buy them myself so is it wrong to make money off of them?
by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 3:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
shivasgirl
by Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 3:25 PM

I would sell them then give your friend half the money

KenzieQsMommy
by Heather on Sep. 3, 2013 at 3:29 PM
That's a good idea! There's a Juicy Couture sweat suit I posted for $15 thinking I wouldn't get any takers and two people are interested.

Quoting shivasgirl:

I would sell them then give your friend half the money

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Sep. 3, 2013 at 3:29 PM
2 moms liked this

I would ask the friend if she would like them back or if she would have a problem if you sold them.

KenzieQsMommy
by Heather on Sep. 3, 2013 at 3:34 PM
I'm afraid to ask her. Not because she might want them back, that's totally fine. But I think I'm like her charity case sometimes and it bugs me. When we get together she never lets me bring lunch, She's always giving me her dd and dds' hand me downs, and I mean A LOT, and while I appreciate it all, I don't wanna be seen as so poor I have to sell old clothes or something.

Quoting michiganmom116:

I would ask the friend if she would like them back or if she would have a problem if you sold them.

chicken13
by Bronze Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 4:32 PM

I'd just ask if she wants them back.  If she says no....well, then do what you like with them.  If you feel guilty...send her half in the form of a gift card and a thank you note.

DawnPratt23
by Dawn on Sep. 3, 2013 at 4:33 PM
In the past I've given away things I received free. Then thinking about it, these were given to me to do as I please, sell, donate or trash with no strings. I always sell the best pieces and donate the ones that are worn more
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Sep. 3, 2013 at 7:52 PM

they were gifted to you...but if you are having these feelings then just ask her if she wants them back or not...and go from there

KenzieQsMommy
by Heather on Sep. 3, 2013 at 8:12 PM
1 mom liked this
I think I'll ask her about it. I'm sure she'll tell me to do what I want with it but my conscience would be happier if I asked lol

Quoting aneela:

they were gifted to you...but if you are having these feelings then just ask her if she wants them back or not...and go from there

Cafe Steph
by Head Admin on Sep. 4, 2013 at 9:36 AM
1 mom liked this

I'd definitely just ask her if she wants them back - you don't have to tell her your plans from there, but asking if she wants them back will make you feel better about the whole thing. Usually, though, people who want things back like that will tell you so when they give them to you, making it clear up front that they're loaner items (my sister does this and gets HOT if someone fails to return even ONE item of clothing, even if it was ruined).

lizfnf
by Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 9:39 AM

I would pass them along to someone who can use them without charging.  I wouldn't feel comfortable profiting off someone else's generosity and when I give things to friends/people that need them I would be pretty unhappy if they offered them for sale.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)