Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

Will be broker than broke after pay day tomorrow

Posted by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 8:23 PM
  • 11 Replies
I am giving our son 400$ of my pay check this week. Leaving enough for dh's refills of meds and a little bit from the grocery store. I have 3 baggies of boneless pork chops,1 baggie 2 large chicken breasts, 3 meals of veggie lasagne no pasta in it,2 meals eggplant parmesean,1 meal spinach lasagne rolls,1 meal chili, 1 meal veggie soup,1 pkg bacon,3 baggies steak taco meat 1 plain 2 with taco spice,2 pks smoked kielbasa sausage,1 baggie with 3 brats, then some frozen veggies a partial bag of shredded hash browns, 1 bag shredded cheddar, 1 bag shredded mozzarella, some frozen fruit for baking for church for the meal program, 4 pounds unsalted butter, 2-1 gallon bags of shredded zucchini for baking or whatever, partial container of rainbow sherbert. That's in my upright freezer. In the fridge is 1 meal of chicken breast, some odds and ends of various foods,few onions and condiments, 5 pound bag of russet potatoes. Then the fixing for stuffed pablano peppers. I am going to do tomorrow or Saturday. Dry foods I have a couple boxes of wheat pasta, bag of rice, few cans of mushroom soup,can of tomato soup, couple cans of tomato sauce, 2 cans of diced tomatoes,few cans of black beans, few cans of fruit, partial boxes of grits and oatmeal,bag of dried peas. The freezer on top the fridge 1 bag of flour tortillas, garlic bread stick. Some ice packs. What I need from the store to make all my food work for meals is. Some sauce for the lasagne rolls, buns for the brats, loaf of bread,milk for 2 weeks if dates on it are good, dh's yogurt, fresh carrots and celery that I make dh veggie sticks with as a snack, 1 can of coffee. I buy the Master Chef coffee at just under 6$ for the big can, some juice, then a little bit of snack items for dh. When I'm at work. I leave dh his small fridge he has on his computer desk full of healthy stuff to eat. Then a bowl of packaged snacks on his desk. Dh has MS. His mobility and coordination is not good. So he can't just get up and go cook something. He waits for me to come home and make dinner. So while at work. He eats what's in his fridge. I am hoping to keep it at 50$ or less when I go to the store. Not including copay's for dh's meds which is like 25$ for 4 meds. So in reality we have maybe 3 weeks of food. But then after that. I will need to do a big shopping for meat and some other things that go with meals. Well maybe I can just skimp. Plan meals ahead of time. Just buy those items. Don't have money in the check book or in cash for anything else. It will be ultra cheap meals till our son is paid off.
by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 8:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
katherinemcp
by Bronze Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 9:01 AM
Sounds like you have a lot of options to make for meals over at least tge next week, and tgen some! Why are you giving your son the money? What about gas for the car, etc? Can or does your DH do things like swagbucks or surveys to earn extra money and gift cards? ifnot, those may help. Good luck!
AzariahsMother
by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 9:49 AM
Good Luck!!
pinkcoffeecup
by Silver Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 10:22 AM
1 mom liked this
I owe our son 3400$. That he loaned us. When we had to have to put a new roof on our house this summer. I promised him most my pay checks till he's paid back. If I keep giving him 400$ of pay day. He'll be paid back by Christmas. If I stay on the ultra tight food budget. Then when dh took me to Walmart for some cheeses that go with a recipe. I could of swore the woman in front of me had some 1.50$ turkeys. Not huge ones. But nice size ones. That I thought that cashier said were 1.50$ each. If that is true. There still are some left. I will get 3 of them to get us through the holidays. We have a full tank of gas. Dh is home most the time. He has MS and does not work. So he don't drive to many places. Not unless I'm with him. Me don't drive. I have my bus pass for the month to get to work. So we are basically good.
Quoting katherinemcp:

Sounds like you have a lot of options to make for meals over at least tge next week, and tgen some! Why are you giving your son the money? What about gas for the car, etc? Can or does your DH do things like swagbucks or surveys to earn extra money and gift cards? ifnot, those may help. Good luck!

DawnPratt23
by Dawn on Sep. 6, 2013 at 10:40 AM

Good luck.

rmp
by Bronze Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 10:45 AM

It sounds like you have a plan. Just stick to it and you will make it. I have to say I believe all of us have had to be on a tight budget once or more times in our lives. When there is less money coming in my husband and I know its time to spend less on everything and make a plan and stick to it. Once money is paid off you will feel a lot better. 

specialwingz
by Corey on Sep. 6, 2013 at 11:03 AM

Sounds like you have it pretty well under control, planning-wise.  I think you will get through this just fine.  Just make sure that everyone you are feeding knows that it HAS to last and there is NO wasting of food.

mem82
by Bronze Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 11:58 AM
There is nothing like getting paid and still being broke. 8( been there, too!
pinkcoffeecup
by Silver Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 1:07 PM
1 mom liked this

It's only dh and I eating. So not bad at all. Just got back from Walmart Neighborhood Market.  I kept the bill just under 60$.  Got only the things on my list.  Milk had very good date on it. So I was able to buy 2 weeks worth.  I won't have to go to the store hopefully at all for 2 weeks. Other than a stop to Walgreens for dh's meds.  Which we'll pick up after church on Sunday.  This afternoon I will write up some menus.  Just to use as a guideline using up what we have on hand. 

PurpleHazey
by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 1:25 PM

That is my every week

coupon_ash_back
by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 12:58 AM
You have to pay your son back? I wouldn't expect my mom to :( but i assume its something you wanna do....either way good luck!:)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN