Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

Meatless meals

Posted by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 6:14 PM
  • 40 Replies
What are some you make? Only one I really do is breakfast for dinner. I want to do one a week I need ideas
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 6:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Sep. 6, 2013 at 6:45 PM

I don't do meatless meals any more, but I used to.  Let me go look....

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Sep. 6, 2013 at 6:46 PM

Santa Fe Beans & Rice

• 2 c. cooked white rice (2/3 c. uncooked long grain white rice, 1 1/3 c. water, combine in pan and boil about 14 minutes until rice is tender)
  • 1 15 oz. can or 2 c. cooked black beans
  • 1 c. frozen corn or 8 oz. can sweet corn kernels
  • 1 10 oz. can Rotel tomatoes with chilies
  • 1 c. salsa
  • 1 c. lowfat sour cream
  • 2 c. shredded Mexican cheese blend
  • 1 small red or white onion, sliced or diced, your choice
  • 1 small can sliced black olives (or more if that's your preference)

Preheat oven to 350°. IN a large bowl, combine drained beans, corn, tomatoes, salsa, sour cream, 1 c. cheese, and cooked rice. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Transfer to a greased 2 quart baking dish and top with onions and olives. Bake uncovered for 30 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining 1 cup cheese and bake 5 to 10 minutes longer until cheese is melted. I served mine with homemade tortilla chips.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Sep. 6, 2013 at 6:47 PM

Baked Macaroni & Cheese

• 16 oz. box elbow macaroni
  • 1/4 c. margarine or butter
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 tsp. onion powder
  • 1 tsp. ground mustard
  • 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper (this does not make it hot, it adds zest!)
  • 3 Tbsp. flour
  • 3 c. half and half or milk or 50/50 of each (I use 2 cans of evaporated milk for this)
  • 1 1/2 c. shredded sharp cheddar cheese
  • 1 lb. Velveeta, cut into small cubes
  • salt & pepper to taste
  • 1/2 grated parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 2 quart or larger casserole dish. Cook the pasta in a pot of boiling salted water until al dente (do not overcook the pasta), about 7 minutes. Drain but do not rinse. Place in a bowl and add another 2 Tbsp. butter to prevent sticking, set aside.
Melt 1/4 c. butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add in minced garlic, onion powder, mustard powder and cayenne pepper; stir with a wooden spoon for about 3 - 4 minutes. Add in flour and stir for 1 minute. Slow add milk and cook, stirring constantly over medium heat until bubbly and thickened. Reduce heat and add in cheddar and Velveeta cheeses; mix until melted and smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add the cooked pasta and toss to combine. Transfer to casserole dish. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese. Bake at 350°F for 20 to 25 minutes.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Sep. 6, 2013 at 6:48 PM

Macaroni pie with mushroom sauce (this is a microwave recipe but I think it can be adapted to the oven if you like)

• 1/3 c. dry bread crumbs
  • 2 Tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese
  • 2 Tbsp. margarine or butter
  • 7 to 8 oz. macaroni rings (or use regular macaroni), cooked and drained
  • 1 c. creamed cottage cheese
  • 3/4 c. to 1 c. shredded cheddar cheese
  • 2 eggs, slightly beaten
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/8 tsp. pepper

Mushroom Sauce

• 1 can cream of mushroom soup
  • 1 4 oz. can mushroom stems & pieces, drained
  • 1/4 c. milk
  • 1 Tbsp. margarine or butter
  • 1 Tsp. instant minced onion
  • 1/8 tsp. Worcestershire sauce

Mix bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese and margarine in a 2 cup measure. Microwave on high, stirring every 30 seconds, until light brown, 1 1/2 to 2 minutes. Set aside.

Mix hot macaroni, cottage cheese, cheddar cheese, eggs, salt, and pepper. Turn into greased 9 inch pie plate. Cover with waxed paper and microwave on medium (50%) 8 minutes. Sprinkle reserved crumbs over pi. Microwave uncovered on medium (50%) until center is almost set, another 8 to 10 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.

MUSHROOM SAUCE: Mix all ingredients in 4 cup measure. Microwave uncovered on high, stirring every minute until hot and bubbly, 3 to 4 minutes.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Sep. 6, 2013 at 6:48 PM
1 mom liked this

Vegetarian Meatloaf

Add salt to water and bring to a boil. Add lentils and cook until very soft and most of the water is gone. Drain and partially mash lentils. Scrape into a mixing bowl and allow to cool slightly. Add onion, oats, and cheese and mix. Add rest of ingredients and mix well. Spoon into a loaf pan that has been generously sprayed with cooking spray. Smooth top with the back of the spoon. Bake at 350° for 30 to 45 minutes, until top of loaf is dry, firm, and slightly golden brown. Cool on rack for 10 minutes. Loosen loaf by inserting and running a knife along the sides between the loaf and the pan. Turn out loaf onto serving platter. Top with more sauce if desired.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Sep. 6, 2013 at 6:49 PM
1 mom liked this

Lentil vegetable stew

• 3/4 c. 1/8-inch carrot slices (about 1 large carrot)
  • 1/2 c. chopped onion
  • 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
  • 2 c. hot water
  • 1 16 oz. can stewed tomatoes
  • 1 4 oz. can mushroom pieces
  • 3/4 c. uncooked dry lentils
  • 1/2 c. sliced celery
  • 2 Tbsp. dried parsley flakes
  • 2 tsp. salt
  • 1 tsp. or 1 cube instant beef boullion
  • 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
  • 1/4 tsp. pepper
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1 c. hot water

Add carrot, onion, and garlic to a casserole dish with a little water. Cover loosely and microwave on high for 4 minutes; break up and stir. Cover and microwave 3 to 4 minutes longer.

Stir in 2 cups hot water, stewed tomatoes (with liquid), mushrooms (with liquid) and remaining ingredients except 1 cup water. Cover tightly and microwave on high stirring every 6 minutes, until vegetables are tender, 24 to 28 minutes.

Stir in 1 cup hot water. Serve with crusty French bread if desired.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Sep. 6, 2013 at 6:49 PM
1 mom liked this

Baked Beans

• 1 lb. dry navy beans (I've also used black-eye peas or great northern beans)
  • 6 cups water
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 3/4 c. ketchup
  • 3/4 c. brown sugar
  • 3/4 - 1 c. water
  • 1 tsp. dry mustard
  • 2 Tbsp. molasses
  • 1 tsp. salt

Soak beans in water overnight in large pot. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, simmer until soft, about 1 1/2 hours. Drain and discard water. Mix together all ingredients in crock pot. Cover and cook on low 10 to 12 hours.

Note: I often soak the beans the day before, cook them and then cook in crock pot overnight.

romalove
by Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 6:49 PM

We have a vegetarian teenage daughter.  We make a lot of meatless stuff because of her.  I do mixed bean chili over rice.  Spaghetti or spaghetti squash with marinara sauce and cheese.  Eggplant parmigiana stacks.  Roasted veggies over pasta and tossed with olive oil and garlic.  Kasha with bow ties.  Minestrone soup with pasta and Italian bread.  French onion soup with bread and cheese floater.  Polenta, made ahead and refrigerated until firm, cut into squares and pan fried with sauce and cheese.  Gnocchi.  Pierogi and cabbage with butter and onions, or even with olive oil and garlic.  

chicken13
by Silver Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 6:50 PM

Spaghetti, eggplant Parmesan, quiche

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Sep. 6, 2013 at 6:50 PM

smothered burritos:

bean burritos, covered with mixture of 1 can enchilada sauce and 1 can cream of chicken soup, topped with cheddar cheese and baked until cheese melts.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)