Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

Feeding a family of 6

Posted by on Sep. 22, 2013 at 6:18 PM
  • 34 Replies

On $100 for two weeks 3 meals a day is this do able

by on Sep. 22, 2013 at 6:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mrs.Kubalabuku
by Member on Sep. 22, 2013 at 6:20 PM

How is the cost of living?

I've done it before, but we didn't eat well.  :'(

tazmidgiefairy
by Silver Member on Sep. 22, 2013 at 6:23 PM

It tough I meal planned and now I am trying to coupons and ad match trying to get the best deals

Quoting Mrs.Kubalabuku:

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Sep. 22, 2013 at 6:24 PM

Yes, but it won't be easy.  What do you already have on hand?  Leave me a list and I'll see what I can do to help....and is your FIL still being picky?

Mrs.Kubalabuku
by Member on Sep. 22, 2013 at 6:26 PM

We did a lot of whole grain noodles with herbs and cheese, sometimes peas.  Baked chicken.   There were a lot of soups made with canned veggies and the cheapest cuts of meat stewed down.  Once cooked up in a soup all day the toughest meats end up tender.

Quoting tazmidgiefairy:

It tough I meal planned and now I am trying to coupons and ad match trying to get the best deals

Quoting Mrs.Kubalabuku:

tazmidgiefairy
by Silver Member on Sep. 22, 2013 at 6:29 PM

Mash potatoes flakes

toms of canned vegs

pancake mix 

some ground beef 

this will be used this week I get paid on the 27th and I trying only spend $100 because I saving money up for a bill

Quoting michiganmom116:

Yes, but it won't be easy.  What do you already have on hand?  Leave me a list and I'll see what I can do to help....and is your FIL still being picky?

tazmidgiefairy
by Silver Member on Sep. 22, 2013 at 6:33 PM

Yea

Quoting Mrs.Kubalabuku:

We did a lot of whole grain noodles with herbs and cheese, sometimes peas.  Baked chicken.   There were a lot of soups made with canned veggies and the cheapest cuts of meat stewed down.  Once cooked up in a soup all day the toughest meats end up tender.

Quoting tazmidgiefairy:

Quoting Mrs.Kubalabuku:

Barb10
by on Sep. 22, 2013 at 6:45 PM

Yes,you can do it! Make spaghetti,hamburgers,meatloaf or chili,something that lasts a few days.Just get some beef,bag chicken,potatoes pasta sauce,noodles.We have 6 here and could do it! We always have milk,cereal,bread and all the basics!

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Sep. 22, 2013 at 6:55 PM

Casseroles will stretch the food to feed the family.  Shepherd's pie, chicken & rice (made with chicken legs), ground beef gravy over rice, pork chops & rice, baked beans & hot dogs (cut into the beans) with cornbread or biscuits, sloppy joes stretch 1 lb. meat to make 8 to 10 sandwiches, cooked chicken with veggies in sauce over noodles, hamburger goulash, chili over baked potatoes or cooked macaroni, spaghetti, stir fry (nothing extravagant, a couple of chicken breasts or a small steak plus veggies & homemade sauce over rice), sweet & sour chicken wings....there a whole lot you can do.  Add veggies as needed.

Leftovers for lunch, or homemade soup or PB & J or banana sandwiches.  egg salad sandwiches are also cheap

Breakfasts:  no cold cereal.  Make oatmeal (not instant), homemade pancakes, homemade muffins with scrambled eggs, cooked rice with brown sugar & milk.

There's a $5 dinner post in this group, you'll have to use the search function to find it, or else visit 5dollardinners.com for more ideas.

Quoting tazmidgiefairy:

Mash potatoes flakes

toms of canned vegs

pancake mix 

some ground beef 

this will be used this week I get paid on the 27th and I trying only spend $100 because I saving money up for a bill

Quoting michiganmom116:

Rhonda

tazmidgiefairy
by Silver Member on Sep. 22, 2013 at 7:04 PM

Shepherds pie is on list I look at my like not sure how I am going to do this

Quoting michiganmom116:

Casseroles will stretch the food to feed the family.  Shepherd's pie, chicken & rice (made with chicken legs), ground beef gravy over rice, pork chops & rice, baked beans & hot dogs (cut into the beans) with cornbread or biscuits, sloppy joes stretch 1 lb. meat to make 8 to 10 sandwiches, cooked chicken with veggies in sauce over noodles, hamburger goulash, chili over baked potatoes or cooked macaroni, spaghetti, stir fry (nothing extravagant, a couple of chicken breasts or a small steak plus veggies & homemade sauce over rice), sweet & sour chicken wings....there a whole lot you can do.  Add veggies as needed.

Leftovers for lunch, or homemade soup or PB & J or banana sandwiches.  egg salad sandwiches are also cheap

Breakfasts:  no cold cereal.  Make oatmeal (not instant), homemade pancakes, homemade muffins with scrambled eggs, cooked rice with brown sugar & milk.

There's a $5 dinner post in this group, you'll have to use the search function to find it, or else visit 5dollardinners.com for more ideas.

Quoting tazmidgiefairy:

Mash potatoes flakes

toms of canned vegs

pancake mix 

some ground beef 

Quoting michiganmom116:

pinkcoffeecup
by Silver Member on Sep. 22, 2013 at 7:10 PM

Soups, casseroles, chili, spaghetti.  If you lived in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.  I'd tell you go to Pete's Produce. They got cheap produce at good quality. They sell at the working persons prices.  It's unbelievable the prices they charge on many things.  Then I get sweet deals on meat at El Rey Mexican Market. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN