Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

Repurposing Leftovers

Posted by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 8:36 AM
  • 20 Replies

How do you repurpose leftovers from meals?  Do you just reheat them for another meal?  Do you use them to create another dish?

Share your ideas!

Rhonda

by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 8:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Cafe Steph
by Head Admin on Sep. 24, 2013 at 8:46 AM
1 mom liked this

It depends on what it is here. For some things, like spaghetti, it's just reheated as is for another meal, but for other things, like some kind of a chicken dish or something, I may throw it in with something else to create something totally new out of the leftovers. One favorite, for example, happens every Thanksgiving and we call it the Thanksgiving Bounty casserole, lol. Basically, the leftovers (usually greenbean casserole, cornbread dressing, garlic mashed potatoes, and turkey) are thrown together in the dish and baked. It sounds totally weird but it is very, very tasty.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Sep. 24, 2013 at 8:48 AM

spaghetti.....no "spaghetti tacos"???  LOL

Quoting Cafe Steph:

It depends on what it is here. For some things, like spaghetti, it's just reheated as is for another meal, but for other things, like some kind of a chicken dish or something, I may throw it in with something else to create something totally new out of the leftovers. One favorite, for example, happens every Thanksgiving and we call it the Thanksgiving Bounty casserole, lol. Basically, the leftovers (usually greenbean casserole, cornbread dressing, garlic mashed potatoes, and turkey) are thrown together in the dish and baked. It sounds totally weird but it is very, very tasty.

Rhonda

chicken13
by Silver Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 8:59 AM

Depends on what it is and how much is left.

tiny bits of meat or veggies typically end up in a stew.  Bigger bits might turn into another dish.

i try not to waste any food.  My grocery budget is too tight to be tossing $1 here or $1 there.

specialwingz
by Corey on Sep. 24, 2013 at 1:54 PM
1 mom liked this

Leftovers revamped...

Roast and veggies always gets turned into stew.

Extra grilled chicken turns into chicken salad for lunch or a casserole for another dinner.  

Porkloin gets turned into pulled pork sammies.

Rotisserie chicken gets turned into homemade chicken and noodles, or chicken veggie soup.

CorpCityGrl
by Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 1:57 PM

It depends on what it is.  Sometimes it's just re-heated, other times it turns into something else.

Spaghetti sometimes becomes spaghetti pie

Roasted chicken becomes a slew of things - chicken quesadillas, soup, chicken salad, thrown in with some regular salad, etc...

Pot roast - sometimes re-heated, sometimes I shred and make quesadillas or tacos

Chili often gets turned into nachos or chili mac

matreshka
by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 2:24 PM
I mostly save portions to reheat. I've been real lazy about cooking lately though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dalbax2
by Bronze Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 7:19 PM

Sometimes I just re-heat.  When I made meatloaf awhile ago I used half of it for sheperd's pie, had 1 meal of it and froze enough for 3 more meals.

2Gs
by Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 11:41 PM

My mother is the master of this and she calls it "chuckwagon cooking"

I made an apple crisp and there was a small piece left.  DH made oatmeal and tossed it in.  I thought that was cute.

thefiregoddess
by Optimus Prime on Sep. 25, 2013 at 5:26 AM
Depends but usually it just goes in the freezer for the mr to nuke at work
PurpleHazey
by on Sep. 25, 2013 at 8:01 AM

At my house there is very few leftovers and if there is any they take it to work for lunch.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)