Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

The gov't is shut down and things are going to get tighter for most. How will you save?

Posted by on Oct. 3, 2013 at 3:02 PM
  • 15 Replies

The government shutdown is immediately affecting some and will affect the rest of us sooner or later. How will you save for the coming months when things are bound to be more expensive?

Here are a few things I thought of:

1. set aside a little money for upcoming expenses whenever you get paid
  2. find the right site online for coupons and start clipping coupons for future needs
  3. research what you need
  4. use sites like Groupon or Teambuy to buy things with your friends and save all of you some cash
  5. buy off-season items like school supplies now to save them for next year when you'll need them
  6. identify areas where you can cut expenses entirely to use the savings towards your greater expenses like heating costs

by on Oct. 3, 2013 at 3:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GrandmaSherry
by Gold Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 5:15 PM

I have started a small cash can here in the house.  I put extra cash in there to keep me from spending it.  I would like to have some actual cash on hand in case something would happen.

specialwingz
by Corey on Oct. 3, 2013 at 5:34 PM

We are not being affected by this "shut down" in any way whatsoever.  And, I don't foresee being so anytime in the future.

And, I already do all the things you listed in my every day life as it is.  So, no change to be made here.

aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Oct. 3, 2013 at 7:03 PM

i am trying to make sure i dont spend on anything we dont need... i use coupons and im saving where i can!

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Oct. 3, 2013 at 7:08 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting specialwingz:

We are not being affected by this "shut down" in any way whatsoever.  And, I don't foresee being so anytime in the future.

And, I already do all the things you listed in my every day life as it is.  So, no change to be made here.

Same here.  We have a savings account, we've done the math and live below our means....not much, but we do.  I'm not worried.

I feel sorry for those that are feeling the hurt.

Rhonda

ericahager2005
by on Oct. 3, 2013 at 7:47 PM
I am careful with what money I have regardless. I have a full pantry and freezer so I work out of those for meals.
gsprofval
by Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 7:49 PM

I buy most of my clothes at thrift shops.  Got a new to me winter coat today as part of my brown paper grocery bag for $5.

PurpleHazey
by on Oct. 4, 2013 at 3:06 AM

How much tighter can things get, we will feel the pain in the up coming months from this...what do they care they still get paid.

PurpleHazey
by on Oct. 4, 2013 at 3:06 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting gsprofval:

I buy most of my clothes at thrift shops.  Got a new to me winter coat today as part of my brown paper grocery bag for $5.

Great deal.

DawnPratt23
by Dawn on Oct. 4, 2013 at 10:38 AM
3 moms liked this

I already do that and honestly with all the end of world attitude going on, ashamed. We shouldn't be reliant on the govt so much, if by day 3 people are acting like the end of the world just happened. This doomsday stuff has been a 13 yr trend that needs to end. 

I already do all that plus some. 

DawnPratt23
by Dawn on Oct. 4, 2013 at 10:57 AM

You can look through Freecycle.org for needed stuff. There are places out there to help. Start a winter coat exchange with other moms. I am used to dealing without in order to make things work, even if hubby didn't get paid we have savings. Just tired of digging into it. 

Quoting PurpleHazey:

How much tighter can things get, we will feel the pain in the up coming months from this...what do they care they still get paid.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN