Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

Is Money Tight For Everyone?

Posted by on Oct. 3, 2013 at 10:27 PM
  • 41 Replies

It seems like money is tight for everyone these days.  I still have a couple friends who have great jobs and take their families on 3 or 4 vacations a year, including The Big Red Boat Cruise.  But we don't do that....

Money is an issue for most people I know.  We took a big paycut this year which starts this month for us. How are things for you and the people in your circle of friends?

by on Oct. 3, 2013 at 10:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
poshkat
by on Oct. 3, 2013 at 10:29 PM
1 mom liked this
It's not, but we treat it like it is
mybratsmom
by Silver Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 11:23 PM
I got laid off last year (1year exactly on the 9th) and we are surprisingly doing better with just the one income, even though my income was more than 1/3 of our income together.
ballerina.2006
by Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 11:25 PM
We struggle but that's the price we pay for attempting to better ourselves with degrees and finding squat for jobs. Now I'm a sahm and dh is still working his (good) job but loans suck.
chrissysnow22
by on Oct. 4, 2013 at 12:28 AM
We were struggling that's why we downsized so. Saving to buy a house, we both still have good jobs but the cost of living is so high that we haven't had much to show for it.
JenniferW67
by Member on Oct. 4, 2013 at 12:33 AM

My Dh has a decent paying job working for the railroad, but everything is so expesive these days we don't have much leftover for many extras. I'm just grateful he has a good job.

soontobemommie3
by on Oct. 4, 2013 at 12:36 AM
We do alright. Dh and I both work commission sales (car dealers) And it's literally feast or famine. So, during "feast" we sock away as much as we can in savings. We have a good little chunk that we can pull from if needed and we still get to do things when we want. It takes a HUGE amount of self control and discipline. If we blew through the great months, we would be screwed during the bad.
PurpleHazey
by on Oct. 4, 2013 at 2:57 AM

I just can't keep up with the growing prices

chicken13
by Silver Member on Oct. 4, 2013 at 6:12 AM

We've recently made some financial choices that are the right move but definately made things a bit snug.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Oct. 4, 2013 at 8:03 AM

Tight....it could be, but I've lived that way for so long that it doesn't really bother me too much.  I tell my family that it's tight so that they don't expect us to splurge on gifts or weekend activities.  DH works his butt off (50 to 70 hour work weeks) but we have had some hard hits this year, financially.  We made it through.  We do have savings and we can meet our monthly bills.

My friends?  The only ones that share their financial issues with me....well, it's hard to say whether money is tight because they won't give up their extravagant spending, poor money habits, or because they've had a string of bad luck.  They're the kind that always find a good-to-them excuse.

lovemymini
by Member on Oct. 4, 2013 at 8:07 AM
It's not tight for us, but we don't act like it isn't. We've always been big savers and know that we will have time for fun later.

It's pretty much the same (that I know of) for our friends even though they are single income homes too.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN