Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

Posted by on Oct. 6, 2013 at 2:00 AM
  • 19 Replies
Hi! My name is Jamie, will be transitioning from working mom to sahm due to my husband working out of state. Any ideas on how to be frugal for a sahm? I don't want to get bored and end up spending $!!!!
by on Oct. 6, 2013 at 2:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DawnPratt23
by Dawn on Oct. 6, 2013 at 2:40 AM

Welcome to the group. My name is Dawn, and I have been a s/wahm for 10 yrs. I try to make sure I never pay full price on anything, and search for freebies. What area's are your main focus? 

aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Oct. 6, 2013 at 3:13 PM
1 mom liked this

Hi Jamie!! welcome welcome!

aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Oct. 6, 2013 at 3:14 PM

do you make a budget?

aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Oct. 6, 2013 at 3:14 PM

how old are your kids?

aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Oct. 6, 2013 at 3:15 PM

my advice is to sit and make a budget so you know what the expenses are and see what you have to "entertain" yourself and kids with if they are home...and then look for FREE events and things in your area

aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Oct. 6, 2013 at 3:15 PM

look for a mom co op or if you have access to someone to babysit for free so you can have date nite

jamiecaudle
by on Oct. 6, 2013 at 5:26 PM

Just looking to cut back on outings with my son, and also cut back on supplies for the home. Couponing maybe? I am trying to find a local moms group close to meet other moms. My son is 20 months so i will be home with him the 9yr old is in school and we are working on #3

GrandmaSherry
by Gold Member on Oct. 6, 2013 at 6:07 PM
1 mom liked this

Hi Jamie....My name is Sherry and I spent most of my married years as a SAHM of 4 children.  Now they are all in their 20's and having little ones of their own.

We saved money by using coupons, stocking up when finding a deal on something, making homemade Halloween costumes, eating most meals at home, making our own bread, attending free functions at the Library and Church, singing, playing outside, making crafts out of cheap stuff we already had at home and taking hand-me-downs from friends!

My children still had music and art lessons, took school trips, played sports and participated in student government.  They got yearbooks and class rings (although the last two didn't even want one).  They all got their driver's licenses and got good old used cars to take to school and part-time jobs.

My children's favorite holiday (has been and continues to be for all 4 of them) is Thanksgiving....because they love not having the pressure of giving and receiving gifts.  They say love is free...who can argue with that?

You can do it! So glad you're here!

chrissysnow22
by on Oct. 6, 2013 at 6:08 PM
1 mom liked this
Hi welcome,
I doubt you'll be bored :)

Some ideas are check out all the free local activities in your area. The library is a great place, and any community centers.

Couponing is a good way to save and can be a but time consuming.

Cooking from scratch is a good way to save, and can be some good fun in the kitchen too.
matreshka
by Platinum Member on Oct. 6, 2013 at 8:00 PM
welcome to the group. definitely check with your library for free playgroups
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN