Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

Wth happened? Groceries went up in the last 2 weeks

Posted by on Oct. 6, 2013 at 9:24 AM
  • 25 Replies
2 weeks ago we did some food shopping at Walmart. I had coupons for some items. Went again yesterday to same Walmart. It looked like many things went up in price. Butter some brands were 3$ and up a pound. The Great Value Walmart brand even went up like 25 cents. The fiber bars I buy dh went up almost 30cents. They went from 2.50$ a box to 2.79$. For name brand. I had coupons. That would of took them down to the generic price. But not this time. All through the store. It seemed like many things went up. For buttering up toast or a sandwich or something. Shedds Spread type margarine in the tub is ok. Tastes ok. But for cooking it's no good. You can't fry eggs with it or use it for baking. Unless it says melted butter. I don't like the taste of margarine for much of my cooking needs. But don't mind Shedds Spread taste on toast or a sandwich. Butter is one item I will splurge on.
by on Oct. 6, 2013 at 9:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Oct. 6, 2013 at 9:44 AM
1 mom liked this

I didn't notice an increase in prices when I went shopping yesterday, but I don't shop at Walmart.

In fact, I just looked at the butter I bought....and it's 10¢ less than it was a week ago.  Tuna dropped by 50¢/can, and that wasn't even a sale price.

You need to go shopping with me!

mybratsmom
by Silver Member on Oct. 6, 2013 at 10:02 AM
I noticed last week that prices had gone up but when I went yesterday morning (to Walmart) the prices went down, except fresh veggies. cucumbers were .75 each and ginger is $2.55 a lb. at Costco the meat prices were down a little bit, too. I wanted to buy more but with the shutdown I have to actually strap down until we see how things play out.
pinkcoffeecup
by Silver Member on Oct. 6, 2013 at 10:23 AM

Unless it was just this particular Walmart.  I hadn't been to any other grocery store in the last 2 weeks.

KayBeCareful
by on Oct. 6, 2013 at 11:03 AM

Food prices have been rising exponentially for several years.  Do you recall when peanut butter 18 oz. was only $1 per jar?  That was about two years ago. Now, it's over twice that much. That's a massive increase.

Fortunately for me, I stocked up on tuna when I coyld get it three cans for $1 and it wasn't all that long ago. Now it's 79 cents for a small can. 

A year ago, I could get a gallon of supermarket milk for $1.99.  Now it's $2.89.

We do tend to think, well, it's just a few pennies, so what?  But it's  a few pennies and then a few more and pretty soon the prices have almost doubled.  Look at the PERCENTAGE of increases rather than just the pennies and then you'll really be shocked. 

This has not happened overnight.  It will continue to happen, so prepare for it and protect yourselves.

clairewait
by Bronze Member on Oct. 6, 2013 at 11:41 AM

Quoting KayBeCareful:

A year ago, I could get a gallon of supermarket milk for $1.99.  Now it's $2.89.

$2.89 is my SALE price!

Our regular milk is $3.89.

Groceries have gone up and I've had to be even more creative with my meals in the last year to keep my budget close to the same price each week.

One thing I'll throw out there is that I do NOT shop at Walmart. It has nearly always been more expensive than the sales at my super nice local grocery store. For me, it is all about buying on a cycle, rather than an as-needed basis.

Besides Walmart is a hassle. If it really was a good deal, I might put up with it, but I get the best customer service, a super clean and easy to shop store, and I'm saving money every week.

Try to find a local grocer with a meat and produce discount rack. This is my predominant method of saving, since we do not eat a lot of food that has available coupons.

Claire Wait

My blog: TheUnderToad.com

elizabooks
by Member on Oct. 6, 2013 at 11:47 AM

It is winter. Grocery prices increase over winter by 2-6% depending on the item. In the spring the prices drop 1-3%. Then when winter comes again they raise them 2-6%.

So that jar of peanut butter was $1.50 last spring. last winter $1.59 This spring $1.58 This fall $1.67.

only a few cents but it does add up...

KayBeCareful
by on Oct. 6, 2013 at 12:24 PM

Oh, I believe you. Prices in my area are frequently less than in most other areas that I'm aware of and I've still seen astronomical increases.

I don't shop hellmart because I don't want their chinese garbage. I do shop Kroger, Albertsons and Brookshires for bargains but I'm so stocked up that I rarely have to pay full price.

As I posted on another thread, I let a man hunt wild pigs on my property and he gives me nice roasts in return. I get free-range processed chicken from a nearby farm along with their eggs and goat's milk,

Quoting clairewait:

Quoting KayBeCareful:

$2.89 is my SALE price!

Our regular milk is $3.89.

Groceries have gone up and I've had to be even more creative with my meals in the last year to keep my budget close to the same price each week.

One thing I'll throw out there is that I do NOT shop at Walmart. It has nearly always been more expensive than the sales at my super nice local grocery store. For me, it is all about buying on a cycle, rather than an as-needed basis.

Besides Walmart is a hassle. If it really was a good deal, I might put up with it, but I get the best customer service, a super clean and easy to shop store, and I'm saving money every week.

Try to find a local grocer with a meat and produce discount rack. This is my predominant method of saving, since we do not eat a lot of food that has available coupons.

Lindalou907
by Bronze Member on Oct. 6, 2013 at 1:12 PM

I don't want to be alarmist but some people think there is just not going to be enough food and other commodities available to take care of the world's needs, and that the prices will skyrocket soon.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Oct. 6, 2013 at 1:19 PM

40% - 50%  of the food in the USA is wasted....$165 BILLIONS worth....33 million TONS of food.

There's enough food.  We need to stop wasting it.  We need to learn and teach how to make best use of land to produce food we need.

Quoting Lindalou907:

I don't want to be alarmist but some people think there is just not going to be enough food and other commodities available to take care of the world's needs, and that the prices will skyrocket soon.

DawnPratt23
by Dawn on Oct. 6, 2013 at 1:33 PM

I decided that I would just watch the flyers closer, got pork, steaks, 15 lbs of potatoes, 2lbs of cheese, 18 large eggs, two Kraft recipe makers and icyhot( for my son's foot) for 28.94. The meat had a 2.00 off coupon, as long as I bought the Recipe makers, which were on sale. Meat at this store is usually $5-$6 for a family pack. 

IMAG4694.jpg

IMAG4693.jpg

IMAG4695.jpg

I also price match on Wed milk for 1.98/gal. instead of the normal price 2.48/gal. When we moved here 6 yrs ago, gal of milk was $4.00 so glad it came down in price. 

Look around at local store ads, and only shop on the days that you can get what you need cheap. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)