Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

Do you share anything with your spouse or SO to save money?

Posted by on Oct. 7, 2013 at 8:41 AM
  • 19 Replies

Cheapskate Couple Shares Same String of Floss to Save Money (VIDEO)

by Adriana Velez

sharing shampooHow far will you go to save money at home? Probably not as far as this couple is going. Karissa and Rick Parran share a level of intimacy that goes beyond even that of Aaron Paul and Lauren Parsekian, and it's a whole lot less sexy, too. As you'll see in the clip from TLC's Extreme Cheapskates show, they share everything, including dental floss. I don't mean that they share the same box of dental floss -- I mean Karissa uses a string of floss and then hands it over to Rick to re-use.

You may now commence writhing in disgust. Eww! Wait, there's more ... 

So first you see Karissa and Rick showering together, which sounds like a fine idea to me -- except if you're doing it right, that shower should actually take much longer than their strict two minutes. (If ya know what I mean ...) But that's not what Karissa and Rick are about. "There's no hanky panky at all," Rick says. You guys are FUN! Karissa gets busy right away, sudsing up her scalp with shampoo. Then she scrapes it off and lets Rick re-use her suds instead of just letting them run down the drain.

Jeebus, who knew we were being so wasteful with our shampoo? One bottle will last them eight months, which ... is a lot longer than one bottle will last on just me. How often are they washing their hair, anyway? 

Then Karissa will shave her armpits with the razor and hand it over to Rick to shave his face. AND WHEN IT GETS DULL, THEY SHARPEN THE BLADE. We're talking a 99-cent plastic razor, people. Karissa claims they save $200 in razors, and I think she needs to check her math. Does she mean over a lifetime? 

They share q-tips (she get one end, he gets the other). And then they share deodorant -- and this is where the logic fails and we fall into a parallel universe of Actions That Look Frugal But Are in Fact Not. You don't have to share the same stick! That's not even going to save money. If she buys her own stick, and he buys his own stick, and they each use one swipe per underarm, they're going to use the exact same amount of deodorant as they do by sharing a stick. Know what I mean? But this way they're also sharing bacteria -- which may actually make their deodorant LESS effective. Not frugal.

And then the floss -- couldn't Karissa at least rinse that thing off before handing it off to Rick? Kind of defeats the purpose of flossing, if you're going to work someone else's food into your teeth. Also, see above re: Her bacteria vs. his. Ugh.

What are they doing with all the tens of dollars they're saving here? I'm sorry, but I just do not believe they're saving so much with all this sharing. It's probably pennies a day. They'd better be saving up for an amazing trip to Bali the next town over or something. Of course, they'll probably ruin that with even more frugal over-sharing, like splitting a motel room with another couple, walking there instead of driving, wearing each other's clothes to save on laundry ...

Do you share anything with your spouse or SO to save money?

by on Oct. 7, 2013 at 8:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LaughCryLive
by Bronze Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 8:44 AM

ewwwwwwwwwwwww

EmmasMommy2011
by Bronze Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 8:59 AM
2 moms liked this

Gross! We sometimes take a shower together but that's not really to save any money.

choaspartyof4
by Bronze Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 9:19 AM

Ok-Everything they do is just disgusting... I gagged at the reusing of floss! Blech!

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Oct. 7, 2013 at 9:41 AM

I don't.

ablox
by Bronze Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 9:50 AM

This is just NASTY!

godsgirl26
by Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 9:52 AM

Quoting LaughCryLive:

ewwwwwwwwwwwww

KayBeCareful
by on Oct. 7, 2013 at 10:21 AM

That is filthy and a great way to pass bacteria back and forth. You can get 100 yards of floss for $1 so it's also incredibly cheap.  Sharpening modern razors is a waste of time.  If they want to do that, they should get an old fashioned straight razor and a strop.

My ex and I used to share a computer back in the day when no one has more than one and there wasn't much to do on them anyway. 

GrandmaSherry
by Gold Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 10:25 AM

Oh goodness.....there are some things that aren't meant to be shared and dental floss is one of them!!!

jsbuck
by Janet on Oct. 7, 2013 at 11:13 AM

Um, no I won't share those things LOL.  I guess I am selfish and wasteful. 

specialwingz
by Corey on Oct. 7, 2013 at 11:41 AM

Some thngs just are NOT meant to be shared.  This story is disgusting!  Makes you wonder if they share TP as well.  What about toothbrushes?  Do they also eat off the same plate with the same utensils?  Seems the husband gets the "leftovers".  Does he get her old underwear too???

EW...just EW!!!!

Razors don't need to be resharpened.  A disposable razor's worst enemy is the water you use.  When it dries, it leaves mineral deposits that build up on the blades and makes them dull.  To make them last, all you have to do is shake the water out and then blow it with a blow dryer for about 5 seconds.  This gets ALL the water out of the blades.  I am still using a disposable razor that I started using last January!!!!  I'm still getting a good close shave on my legs and armpits.  =)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN