Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Grocery bill and picky eaters (including me!) Thanks for advice. I'm no longer reading replies.

Posted by on Oct. 7, 2013 at 4:33 PM
  • 88 Replies

Thank you to the ladies that were better people to try to offer advice than to bash and put down another woman's choices.  I always expect that us women are to stick together and back each other up and help one another.  It always saddens me to see there are some women that think so less of others to only push themselves up by belittling another.

This was NEVER intended to be a bashing post.  If you have nothing USEFUL to add and only want to put someone down, then don't bother replying at all!

When I said we were all picky, I meant it...lol

I ABSOLUTELY will not give up my soda.  I know (and don't care) that it isn't healthy.  But it's my one guilty pleasure because I don't smoke or drink.

As far as vegetables we stick to green beans (which my special needs child won't touch) and corn (which the kids will eat but I'm not a fan of).

Pasta is ok....the kids love spaghetti (even though I don't, I could tolerate it once a week).

Believe it or not....the special needs child will not eat pizza too often (I could eat it everyday).

Our main meals consist of:  

• steak (sliced thin and we usually split it to small portion)...again-special child won't eat the steak.
  • chicken-we all eat this (special child prefers chicken "nuggets" but I can sometimes get him to eat "real" chicken that I bake in the oven.
  • pizza
  • hamburger
  • tacos
  • hot dogs (whether plain or cheese coneys)
  • potatoes (special child won't touch a potato unless it's an actual french fry; mashed potatoes which we all eat)
  • rice on a rare occassion-not a big fan.  Yes I know it really stretches out a meal but it isn't a staple in our home)
  • carrots (special child won't eat that either)

Breakfasts usually consist of either cereal, toast, or bagels.  Sometimes we'll splurge on doughnuts.  Eggs and sausage maybe once a week.

I'll probably have to do a meatless meal once a week....that could save me alittle.

I'll add more if I can think of what we typically eat.  We are all picky and no I really don't want to try anything "new".  We like what we like and I'd like to stick to it.  The one thing I know I can do is cut down our serving sizes.  I'm sure we eat alittle more than the "recommended serving suggestion".

I don't want to waste my money trying new things that we may end up not liking.  I'd rather spend my money on what I know we'll at least eat.  If it isn't thrown away then it wasn't wasted :)

I hope I don't come across harsh....it isn't my intention.  We just are picky (and stubborn) about what we'll eat.  And although I have the money to make up what I'm losing, I don't really want to spend it all.  I'd like the extra money I'm getting now to go toward other things such as getting the bills caught up, saving some (I know I'm going to need a newer vehicle in the next year or two), clothing (the kids are starting to need new clothes), etc.

So my ex-SO is finally having to pay child support on my 18 month old daughter....yah!  But, being on public assistance this additional income hit my food card HARD.  I'd of course rather have the real money over the food card, so I'm ok with all this.

However---I lost exactly $300 a month on my card.  I really don't want to use all my real cash to make up the difference (I'm getting $400 a month from him).  So I'm wondering how I can do, say, maybe $300 a month in groceries. 

We are ALL picky eaters.  Especially my special needs child.  I've seen pork sausage for a $1 which I like, but the kids don't like it.  NONE of us likes beans, so any meal with beans is out.  I also don't use peppers or onions and I don't cook fancy...I'm very plain jane.  Is there any hope for me?

We go through alot of milk which is around $2.69 a gallon (3 kids under the age of 10), so I know that's going to be a cost.  One gallon lasts us 2 days.  I'm a big soda drinker (but I do buy the store brand)...I can't help it.  I do not drink tea/coffee/water!  The kids drink water, milk, or kool aid---I'm ok with that.

Any advice/recipes on meals for a small budget for 4?  (I can not maintain my own garden....between little outdoor space and nowhere to do indoor gardening, that's out.)

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

by on Oct. 7, 2013 at 4:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GrandmaSherry
by Gold Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 6:34 PM

I would probably start out having pasta at least once a week since most kids like that.  Spaghetti was always one of my kids' favorites.  Another thing my children loved was chicken filet sandwiches with slaw. A whole bag of chicken patties is just $4.99.

You could also serve mac and cheese, either the quick store-bought kind or the homemade version.

KateyBrands
by Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 6:53 PM
2 moms liked this
Honestly, and please do not take this the wrong way, but I would try to open your kids up to more foods. Maybe once a week try a new recipe that has a new ingredient in it or maybe a new veggie. Make them at least try it! Lol. If they have tried it and don't like it at least y'all tried. Can you give me an idea of what kind of meals you do like? Obviously pasta is easy, spaghetti, Alfredo, Mac and cheese. Either homemade or not. Homemade pizza is a super yummy and cheap. I bake all of my own breads and such so I make the crust. Taste just like I ordered it but for a fraction of the price. A big rule in saving money in your grocery bill is to make things from scratch. Ready made meals are expensive and full of crap basically. I'd love to help you get some recipe ideas that are easy but healthy and cheap also.
GrandmaSherry
by Gold Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 7:30 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting KateyBrands:

Honestly, and please do not take this the wrong way, but I would try to open your kids up to more foods. Maybe once a week try a new recipe that has a new ingredient in it or maybe a new veggie. Make them at least try it! Lol. If they have tried it and don't like it at least y'all tried. Can you give me an idea of what kind of meals you do like? Obviously pasta is easy, spaghetti, Alfredo, Mac and cheese. Either homemade or not. Homemade pizza is a super yummy and cheap. I bake all of my own breads and such so I make the crust. Taste just like I ordered it but for a fraction of the price. A big rule in saving money in your grocery bill is to make things from scratch. Ready made meals are expensive and full of crap basically. I'd love to help you get some recipe ideas that are easy but healthy and cheap also.

I tend to agree with you.  To save money, you really have to be willing to try some new things.  And even though mom loves soft drinks and drinks nothing else, that's not very good healthwise.  Maybe the entire family could agree to try some small changes.  Maybe everyone could drink water with meals.  Maybe everyone could agree to try one new vegetable dish. Doing it together could make it like a game!

Getting the kids involved in the kitchen could help too.  Let each one select a recipe of simple ingredients to try.  Let everyone help in some way.  I know grown-ups who were never encouraged to try anything new and all they eat is french fries and mashed potatoes.  

aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Oct. 7, 2013 at 8:04 PM

what is on your menu lately then...what do you all enjoy eating...maybe we can start there and see where we can help and add more suggestions

aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Oct. 7, 2013 at 8:05 PM
5 moms liked this

i wish milk was 2.69 here lol

mybratsmom
by Silver Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 8:24 PM
What do you guys eat normally??

And really - soda is so bad for you!!! Maybe have a soda on Friday but the rest of it is really, really bad.

I also agree with the once a week new food. I do something similar - I just got both of my kids to try sushi last week - surprisingly they liked it!
mybratsmom
by Silver Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 8:25 PM
I agree! I was paying $1 more. But I switched to almond milk and now I'm planning on making my own - after my midterm.

Quoting aneela:

i wish milk was 2.69 here lol

GrandmaSherry
by Gold Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 8:30 PM

All of my kids loved asparagus (which a member of our church regularly gave us when my children were young) and brussel sprouts.  I couldn't believe they would eat it but they did.  I was willing to try something new and they were too.

I don't like sushi...but I tried it twice just to see.  LOL

KateyBrands
by Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 8:43 PM

Quoting GrandmaSherry:

Quoting KateyBrands:

I tend to agree with you.  To save money, you really have to be willing to try some new things.  And even though mom loves soft drinks and drinks nothing else, that's not very good healthwise.  Maybe the entire family could agree to try some small changes.  Maybe everyone could drink water with meals.  Maybe everyone could agree to try one new vegetable dish. Doing it together could make it like a game!

Getting the kids involved in the kitchen could help too.  Let each one select a recipe of simple ingredients to try.  Let everyone help in some way.  I know grown-ups who were never encouraged to try anything new and all they eat is french fries and mashed potatoes.  

I think that's an awesome idea, getting the kids involved. Maybe letting them help cook, even if it's just Mac an cheese, they may be more interested

CafeMom Tickers
krazene
by Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 8:55 PM
Homemade pizza is pretty affordable.
Tacos, hot dogs, BBQ weiners over mashed potatoes...?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)