Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

well that was embarrassing

Posted by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 11:21 PM
  • 20 Replies
We are in Jackson MS for a craftshow. We love kroger and really really needed groceries and don't have kroger at home. We always go when we are here and stock up on the sale stuff and kroger brand stuff. This time we got about $250 worth of stuff, between groceries and household products. Knowing his direct deposit hits tonight at midnight and we are doing the show that will earn us anywhere between $1000-$2000 we wrote a check so we could spend more and save the money we had in our account for the hotel room. Well we have written checks before at kroger and never had an issue. But for some reason the check didn't go through tonight. I was soo embarrassed and we had to put the stuff back we had gotten for our lunches tomorrow. Which would have saved us a lot of money but now we will have to buy lunch at the flea market which is about $5 or more depending what you get and it's not healthy. We had enough cash to get Jacob's diapers and the stuff we needed to display on our BBQ caddies, so they will sell. I've never had this happen before. So has anything similar happen to you before?
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 11:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GrandmaSherry
by on Oct. 10, 2013 at 12:33 AM
1 mom liked this

Well, my hubby went to the store a few months ago to purchase a flashlight and some duct tape.  But his debit card was denied...and he didn't have cash.  He was so embarrassed.

When he called me, I immediately checked on my banking site.  We had money there, which I knew we did, so I couldn't figure out what happened.  I called the bank and they said my debit card had been reported lost or stolen so they had temporarily shut down our account.  Sure enough, when I checked my purse, my debit card was gone.  I then remembered that I had let one of our kids borrow it to pick up some supplies....and I never got it back!

We got it worked out and hubby went back to the store that afternoon and explained what had happened.

I'm sorry that this happened to you.  I pray you sell lots at the craftshow and make up for the extra food money for lunch!

TheBabyFactory4
by on Oct. 10, 2013 at 12:49 AM
Luckily dh told me there is a piggly wiggly one street over, he said he'd walk over there and buy some lunch meat, bread, and some fruit for us, we have chips and snacks already.

Quoting GrandmaSherry:

Well, my hubby went to the store a few months ago to purchase a flashlight and some duct tape.  But his debit card was denied...and he didn't have cash.  He was so embarrassed.

When he called me, I immediately checked on my banking site.  We had money there, which I knew we did, so I couldn't figure out what happened.  I called the bank and they said my debit card had been reported lost or stolen so they had temporarily shut down our account.  Sure enough, when I checked my purse, my debit card was gone.  I then remembered that I had let one of our kids borrow it to pick up some supplies....and I never got it back!

We got it worked out and hubby went back to the store that afternoon and explained what had happened.

I'm sorry that this happened to you.  I pray you sell lots at the craftshow and make up for the extra food money for lunch!

KenzieQsMommy
by on Oct. 10, 2013 at 5:41 AM
Aww that sucks!!
DieselsMom
by on Oct. 10, 2013 at 6:14 AM

I didn't know that people still wrote checks...why not just use your debit card?

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Oct. 10, 2013 at 6:19 AM

No, I can't recall never having a check or debit card go through.  My bank's more than happy to allow those charges through for the overdraft fee.

AspensMama1537
by Bronze Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 6:21 AM
I am sorry that happened. Don't feel embarrassed, it happens all the time at grocery stores.
meg0620
by on Oct. 10, 2013 at 6:25 AM
She was writing a check because she didn't have the money yet. It was going to be deposited in a few hours.

Quoting DieselsMom:

I didn't know that people still wrote checks...why not just use your debit card?

DieselsMom
by on Oct. 10, 2013 at 6:27 AM

in that case...good for you for being emberrassed. Maybe that will teach you (the op) to stop spending money you don't have!!

Quoting meg0620:

She was writing a check because she didn't have the money yet. It was going to be deposited in a few hours.

Quoting DieselsMom:

meg0620
by on Oct. 10, 2013 at 7:06 AM
You should be embarrassed by your spelling and inability to read the OP.

Quoting DieselsMom:

in that case...good for you for being emberrassed. Maybe that will teach you (the op) to stop spending money you don't have!!

Quoting meg0620:

Quoting DieselsMom:

sharonsolo
by on Oct. 10, 2013 at 7:13 AM
Mine too!

Quoting michiganmom116:

No, I can't recall never having a check or debit card go through.  My bank's more than happy to allow those charges through for the overdraft fee.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)