Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is Costco/Sams worth it to you?-edit

Posted by on Oct. 22, 2013 at 7:11 PM
  • 125 Replies
1 mom liked this

I am considering it but I have no idea what they are like. Is it true you can't go in unless you have the card? I think I have heard they have non-member days...?

edit: Thank you everyone, I think i'm going to sign up. I look online and did calculations and it will be worth while for us.

by on Oct. 22, 2013 at 7:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
anotherandree
by Inga on Oct. 22, 2013 at 7:20 PM
3 moms liked this

I think that you have to have a card to go in, at least they always ask to see ours, but I'm sure if you tell them that you want to look around, they might work with you.

Is it worth it?  That's a million dollar question because it depends on A LOT of factors.  We go there for their meat because we bring it home and then wrap it in smaller portions.  They are also good on things like bread flour, sugar, and some seasonal items.  IF you have the storage.  One HUGE downside for us is that we are on a crazy tight budget and one trip to Sam's for (say) a package of pork steaks (10 large steaks for $20 (I'm guessing on the price)) and a 30lb sack of bread flour for $10, and for 2 items that will last us a LOOOOONG time but we just spent half our weekly grocery budget.  You see?

So, I guess it's give and take.

xoch86
by New Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 7:27 PM
4 moms liked this

Costco  never has non member days.. You have to pay(minimum $50) for their membership to get the card. 

For my family, it is definitely worth it. I have 4 kids, and bulk items really helpespecialy for in school/after school snacks. I tend to learn more towards the household items, more than the food.. shampoo/conditioner, sponges, razors, diapers, toothpaste, deodorant, baking soda, etc..But they have awesome deals on stuff like sugar, canned good, condiments, spices, bulk freezer food(we don't really buy, but when we do you can treat their prices), Deli meat.. I have a huge family of party people so we do big holidays and birthdays and they have stuff like burgers, hot dogs, buns, candy, snack foods(chips, pretzels, etc..)drinks, everything u need, well priced. 

Their bakery is the best! EVERYTHING is so good. And if it have a business center by you, they sell some stuff individually if u don't want to buy huge lots.

i warn u, when u walk in its really hard not to spend a minimum of $100 bucks per trip.. But those 100 bucks worth of items will go a loooooonnnnnngggg way.

EnchantedPixie
by New Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 7:46 PM
They don't do non-member days as far as I know but I'm sure they have a visitor pass so you can walk thru and check out price (you do have to become a member to buy).

We were Costco members for years but we let our membership expire. They do have great prices on somethings but many things are cheaper on sale in the grocery store. I feel like I can more bang for the buck shopping sales and stocking up that way.
Stacie03
by Silver Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 7:56 PM

I have found that a lot of the canned goods, flour, sugars, and other baking supplies are actually cheaper at Aldi's.  I do love the convenience of being able to buy a large amount of paper products at once and not have to worry about them for a few months.  

Mommy4-27-08
by Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 8:02 PM
I agree with the other ladies, though I have found some great deals on clothes for my kids too. I definitely think it is worth it for certain things. Just be aware of the prices and the amount your getting and if you'll use it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lillucky8
by Jen on Oct. 22, 2013 at 8:21 PM
I use bjs bc i get a discount on the membership, i get laundry detergent much cheaper than retail, bodywash, meat on half price day, iced tea, sometimes clothes, video games are cheaper, cards, fresh produce...theres alot thats cheaper so i think it makes up for the membership fee
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lillucky8
by Jen on Oct. 22, 2013 at 8:21 PM
And bjs accepts coupons
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
heldcaptiveby2
by Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 10:00 PM
I am a Sam's member my membership was only 45 it's good for a year. So far it's been worth it on my first shopping trip I saved 74.00.
The meat dept. Was great and we saved a bunch definitely get to know your butcher he will be your new bff. When it comes household\grocery items just check the unit price. I carry around a small notebook to compare the price I usually pay. To see if I am getting the most for my money.
If you don't want to pay for a membership, ask your FB friends and see if any one already has one and see lf you can share.
I finally had to buy my membership after my bff moved to S.C. but we shared for 8years.
If you have a smart phone Sam's even sends you coupons.
RhineAndShine
by Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 10:05 PM
Sams club is worth it for us. Membership is $40 here and I split it with my mom. I walked through before getting a membership to check prices out. Some things are worth it and some things not. You can go in even without a card. Just say you are going to customer service. I told customer service i'm checking it out for a membership. It was easy.
lizfnf
by Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 10:09 PM

I have a membership to BJ's and I love it.  You have to have a card in order to check out.  You scan it at the register.  I go every 2 weeks and spend around $100.  But I've shaved off between 70-80 dollars per week at the grocery store, and then more at Target.  Only buy what you will actually use, and comapre prices to the sales at your supermarket.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)