Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

Budgeting

Posted by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 11:42 AM
  • 24 Replies
I am not very good at this Budgeting thing or saving money. How do you Budget? Have a notebook? Binder? I am trying to cut back on things and trying different things. Send me those tips please!!! Thank you :)
by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 11:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DawnPratt23
by Dawn on Oct. 23, 2013 at 11:48 AM
I just track our spending through our bank account daily. Each method works differently for everyone. I could never handle a book, because Im to busy. Technology has worked best for me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rHOPEb
by Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 11:57 AM
1 mom liked this
Envelopes! We have one for everything.....Dates, Groceries, Days, Christmas, Tags/Emissions, Vacation, etc. We know something is coming up we do an envelop. Put a few dollars here n there til you got it saved then seal! If you can't do cash outs then write on sticky notes on your checkbook register so you don't over spend n actually save some.
We have two charge cards(master card n home depot) n pay them off each month. Do not use a debit card! If you don't have the cash then don't buy it. Give yourself a weekly allowance n when its gone its gone. Use that for lunch, fun things, etc.
tekcrkark
by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 12:00 PM
1 mom liked this
Oh my gosh your awesome! Thank you for your advice I am going to give it a try :)

Quoting rHOPEb:

Envelopes! We have one for everything.....Dates, Groceries, Days, Christmas, Tags/Emissions, Vacation, etc. We know something is coming up we do an envelop. Put a few dollars here n there til you got it saved then seal! If you can't do cash outs then write on sticky notes on your checkbook register so you don't over spend n actually save some.

We have two charge cards(master card n home depot) n pay them off each month. Do not use a debit card! If you don't have the cash then don't buy it. Give yourself a weekly allowance n when its gone its gone. Use that for lunch, fun things, etc.

rHOPEb
by Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 12:19 PM
1 mom liked this
You are welcome! Really helps us :) And if I don't spend my weekly money I stash it. I'm saving to surprise hubby at Christmas!

Our grocery rolls over too. So some weeks are tight, but then others we may get to splurge on steak or fish ;)
Takes time n discipline, but completely doable!

Quoting tekcrkark:

Oh my gosh your awesome! Thank you for your advice I am going to give it a try :)

Quoting rHOPEb:

specialwingz
by Corey on Oct. 23, 2013 at 12:21 PM

For me, the first step is making 2 lists (but, then again, I am a list person).

1.) Needs

2.) Wants

Then, look over the list of "needs" and see what items are really "wants".  You'd be surprised what one can take of the list when they really look at it.

When you are down to the actual needs, it's easier to make an actual budget plan.  Budget for the needs and save for the wants.

mybratsmom
by Silver Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 12:23 PM
1 mom liked this
I have a notebook that tracks my budget, and I use the envelope system. ^^ poster does exactly what I do.
princess_1983
by Bronze Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 12:54 PM

I use mint.com. 

GreenDotsOrange
by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 1:07 PM
I have a notebook. Hubby gets paid twice a month. I have him bring the cash home and we use the envelope system. 1st paycheck we take out mortgage money, hot water heater rental and gas for the cars. We usually have about $20 left over which goes to toiletries. 2nd paycheck we take out car insurance, cable/Internet, electric, gas heat, water sewer trash, gas in cars. We usually have about $10 left over which goes to whatever we need around the house. We also get reimbursed for what we pay for medical insurance so that reimbursemt goes to the car loan and phone bill. We have $60 left over which goes to things around the house, extra food, upkeep on cars, med bills. Whatever we need it for. We deal mainly with cash and keep the bill money in envelopes. It also helps bc hubby's paycheck are pretty much the same every time as well as the bills stay the same amount. We are on the budget for gas heat so it's $106 every month. This helps so we don't have a huge bill in the winter. We also only have 1 credit card and I put a limit on it so we can't spend more than we can afford to pay back. We mainly have the credit card for emergencies. Whatever we don't use for "extras" during the month we try to save. If hubby gets a bonus as work and we don't need it for a bill we save it.
GreenDotsOrange
by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 1:11 PM
Oh and when we get income tax money back we seperate needs and wants like another poster mentioned. This year we need to fix stuff on the vehicles as well as things around the house. When all the needs are taken care of we usually each get a little splurge, if we have the money.
matreshka
by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 2:56 PM

Me too. I know in my head how much we can spend on groceries and how much fun money we can have and we are lucky our utility and other bills are consistently the same amount.

Quoting DawnPratt23:

I just track our spending through our bank account daily. Each method works differently for everyone. I could never handle a book, because Im to busy. Technology has worked best for me.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)