Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

Need some frugal genealogy tips.

Posted by on Oct. 24, 2013 at 1:29 PM
  • 10 Replies

I''ve been trying to research some family history lately. I had a free trial to ancestry.com a while back, but now its over and its just too much for me to afford right now..

Does anyone have any good online resources that are free? I also would like to go pretty far back. I've traced one side back to King Duncan I of Scotland which was 1000+ years ago. Since their family lineage was well known it was easy to trace back, but I want to go for a third time and confirm it with different resources.

by on Oct. 24, 2013 at 1:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DragonInfinity
by on Oct. 24, 2013 at 2:01 PM
I don't know....but here's a bump for ya.
matreshka
by Platinum Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 6:06 PM
could you check for local genealogy groups in your area? that's the only tip I have. I really want to trace my heritage back further because all I know us of my grandparents coming through Ellis island.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cupomeow
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 2:56 PM
Family search is pretty good. Also putting the family member name in quotes on google sometimes works. Find a grave is another option. If you can find where they are buried you can work backward. Once you find where they lived, you can check census records and that can tell you anything from simply head of household (1840 and earlier) to names of wives, kids, occupations and whether or not they could read and write. Census enumerators asked more questions on the more recent censuses. Check state archives. Genforum is good. Rootsweb has some free stuff. I think Ancestry is too expensive so I am eliminating all sources I can before I have to use them. It takes so much time and dedication. Sometimes the info is simply not in existence. For example. I have a ggggrandfather who I have no death date on because the courthouse in the town he lived in burned down. There are lots of record losses and censuses that have yet to be enumerated. But it is awesome when you can finally break through a brickwall or find a common ancestor.
victoriaherring
by Bronze Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 3:08 PM
Where do you find census records for free? And I just barely missed the same issue with our courthouse. My great grandparents were born just after our local courthouse burned down, their parents were from the next town over.

Quoting cupomeow:

Family search is pretty good. Also putting the family member name in quotes on google sometimes works. Find a grave is another option. If you can find where they are buried you can work backward. Once you find where they lived, you can check census records and that can tell you anything from simply head of household (1840 and earlier) to names of wives, kids, occupations and whether or not they could read and write. Census enumerators asked more questions on the more recent censuses.
Check state archives. Genforum is good. Rootsweb has some free stuff.
I think Ancestry is too expensive so I am eliminating all sources I can before I have to use them. It takes so much time and dedication. Sometimes the info is simply not in existence. For example. I have a ggggrandfather who I have no death date on because the courthouse in the town he lived in burned down. There are lots of record losses and censuses that have yet to be enumerated. But it is awesome when you can finally break through a brickwall or find a common ancestor.
victoriaherring
by Bronze Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 3:12 PM
If you haven't used the free trial on ancestry.com I saw it was still available the other day. It's good for 14 days. It was plenty of time for me to trace back a long way and now I don't have it anymore I can still sign in and view my stuff. I could have never got where I did as easily as I did without those 14 free days.

Quoting matreshka:

could you check for local genealogy groups in your area? that's the only tip I have. I really want to trace my heritage back further because all I know us of my grandparents coming through Ellis island.
cupomeow
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 6:17 PM

Quoting victoriaherring:

Where do you find census records for free? And I just barely missed the same issue with our courthouse. My great grandparents were born just after our local courthouse burned down, their parents were from the next town over.

Quoting cupomeow:

Family search is pretty good. Also putting the family member name in quotes on google sometimes works. Find a grave is another option. If you can find where they are buried you can work backward. Once you find where they lived, you can check census records and that can tell you anything from simply head of household (1840 and earlier) to names of wives, kids, occupations and whether or not they could read and write. Census enumerators asked more questions on the more recent censuses.
Check state archives. Genforum is good. Rootsweb has some free stuff.
I think Ancestry is too expensive so I am eliminating all sources I can before I have to use them. It takes so much time and dedication. Sometimes the info is simply not in existence. For example. I have a ggggrandfather who I have no death date on because the courthouse in the town he lived in burned down. There are lots of record losses and censuses that have yet to be enumerated. But it is awesome when you can finally break through a brickwall or find a common ancestor.

I found some on the usgenwebarchives.net

Wiggles_GA
by Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 6:45 PM

The LDS Church has a great free archive. They have census records and vital records.   familysearch.org

aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Oct. 26, 2013 at 8:40 PM

not sure at all sorry....hope you can find some free resources to help

aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Oct. 26, 2013 at 8:41 PM

oh i just thought is there someone else in your family who hasnt used up the free trial and you can work with to get more info on there?

PurpleHazey
by on Oct. 27, 2013 at 10:18 AM

Quoting matreshka:

This is a good tip.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)