Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

Oil heat costs

Posted by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 3:08 PM
  • 10 Replies
  1. I jus tbought a new house that is 1500 sqft. It has oil heat which is something i have never had before. I filled the tank but have yet to turn the heat on. Can anyone who has or has had oil heat about howmuch is typically used in one winter? I am trying to keep th costs down this winter so what should i keep the themostat set to? Thanks

by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 3:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
matreshka
by Platinum Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 3:13 PM
we have oil heat but it is included in our rent so I'm not sure how much it costs to fill the tank. also the heat won't go on unless there is water filled in the furnace because its steam heat and the furnace itself runs on electricity.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Oct. 27, 2013 at 9:27 AM

i dont have any experience with it, what did you have it set to last year where you lived?

AEB_MRB
by on Oct. 27, 2013 at 2:08 PM

keep it around 65 if you live where its cold. Instead of filling it up all at once you can fill it a couple gallons at a time all summer. Most gas stations around here have it in. Just buy what you can when you can and pour it in. My grandparents had it and we had to fill it late fall and then around February.

PinkButterfly66
by on Oct. 27, 2013 at 2:17 PM
1 mom liked this

It's very, very expensive.  We have oil heat.  It costs us $400 at minimum to fill it up.  I would try to keep the thermostat set between 66 and 68.  Invest in flannel sheets, down comforters and warm flannel or fleece jammies so you can cut the heat back at night to 65.  Caulk windows, doors, plug drafts.  Get some foam inserts for light switches and outlets to plug drafts.   If you have a new house, then you have insulated windows, hopefully.  Get some insulated drapes too.  

We have a gas fireplace and a wood burning fireplace to help keep our oil bill lower.  

funkycat
by on Oct. 27, 2013 at 2:36 PM

take advantage of solar gain and cover the rest. with a bubble wrap blanket on cafe curtain or sheers spring rod spring rods. I have double pane windows on the north side. I have a reversable cieling fan light fixture that pushes down the heat,in the largest rooms that I leave  on low all winter. Out west and in the south west oil heat is rare.

lillucky8
by Jen on Oct. 27, 2013 at 4:26 PM
We have oil heat, during winter it needs to be filled about every five weeks from december to april, i keep the heat at 67 during the day and 62 at night downstairs and the opposite for my room, the kids rooms stay at 68ish depending on how cold it is outside. We plastic our windows and im buying rugs this year for the hardwood floors to try and help conserve. Its so expensive.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AzariahsMother
by on Oct. 27, 2013 at 9:25 PM
Uh save no input sorry
PurpleHazey
by on Oct. 27, 2013 at 11:01 PM

All I know is it cost a whole hell of a lot

my4boys2002
by on Oct. 28, 2013 at 2:23 AM
We fill every month from dec-April I'm on a budget plan I pay 375.00 a month all year. This year I had to pay 1000.00 at the end of my contract we keep the heat 73-75 I refuse to freeze in my own home
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dalbax2
by Bronze Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 9:10 AM

In my area it is running about 3.40/gallon.  Oil companies won't deliver less than 100 gallons in this area so that is at least 340 dollars.  When we were paying for oil 100 gallons would last about 4 weeks depending on how cold it was.  We kept the thermostat at 68-70*.  My heat is now included in my rent and the landlord controls the heat for the whole building.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN