Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

Traditional bank vs. credit union?

Posted by on Nov. 7, 2013 at 1:59 PM
  • 26 Replies
1 mom liked this

Which do you use? Are there any perks to using one vs the other?

by on Nov. 7, 2013 at 1:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RonaH
by Bronze Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 2:14 PM
1 mom liked this

credit union.  I love it cause I go in there and they actually know who I am and like recently when i applied for a credit card they actually called me up and asked me how much of a balance I would like. lol I like the personal touch.

Bleacheddecay
by Bronze Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 2:40 PM

Credit union is better for me.

2Gs
by Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 2:46 PM

Wait until you experience some kind of fraud or probblem.  Then you will know who your friends are.  We had our identity compromised and checking and savings were wiped out.  Chase had us up and running in 24 hours.  My friend had a two-week delay with her  bank and was late on her mortgage.

2Gs
by Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 2:47 PM

That happens at Chase too.  They know us the same way.

Quoting RonaH:

credit union.  I love it cause I go in there and they actually know who I am and like recently when i applied for a credit card they actually called me up and asked me how much of a balance I would like. lol I like the personal touch.

RonaH
by Bronze Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 3:02 PM

Oh really well that is good then. I have never dealt with Chase. But I have had account/credit cards with bank of America and Suntrust. 

Quoting 2Gs:

That happens at Chase too.  They know us the same way.

Quoting RonaH:

RonaH
by Bronze Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 3:04 PM

Yea that is a problem. I had an issue three weeks ago the money was back in my account in 15 mins. Its scary and a 2 week wait is ridiculous.

Quoting 2Gs:

Wait until you experience some kind of fraud or probblem.  Then you will know who your friends are.  We had our identity compromised and checking and savings were wiped out.  Chase had us up and running in 24 hours.  My friend had a two-week delay with her  bank and was late on her mortgage.

diaperstodating
by Queen24Princes on Nov. 7, 2013 at 3:10 PM

I have both. I have a checking and savings account at a credit union, and a bank.

matreshka
by Platinum Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 3:14 PM
1 mom liked this

I prefer credit unions because they are non profit and have a lot of extra perks once you become a member.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Nov. 7, 2013 at 5:40 PM

We use both.  I've been with our traditional bank for over 47 years and know them by name.  The only reason we use the credit union is because it's only 1 mile away vs. the bank is 4 miles.  If we don't need to go to town, we can use the credit union for cashing checks.

TheBabyFactory4
by Catherine on Nov. 7, 2013 at 6:53 PM
We use USAA for most of our banking. The only thing I don't like is them not having a local branch. but it's not a huge issue because we have direct deposit and we can use any atm free. we wwill have a savings account local to be able to easily cash checks if we need too
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN