Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

Canning Recipes

Posted by on Nov. 10, 2013 at 8:57 AM
  • 5 Replies

So, last Christmas my hubby got me a pressure canner.  I'd planned on using it this summer/fall as I'd planted some tomatoes.  Well, hubby had me move the location of where I planted them and I didn't realize it until later that they weren't getting enough sun in that area.  I didn't get a single good tomato from them.

Well, when I'd went grocery shopping last time I bought 4 whole chickens.  I used the carcasses to make chicken stock.  It had come out really concentrated and I'd planned on freezing them in ice cube trays to essentially make bouillon cubes.  A friend of my mom's suggested that I can it.  I decided it would be a good learning item.  I diluted it to a good broth flavor and canned it from there.  I got 12 quarts and 3 pints from it all.

Now, I have the canning bug.  I'm going to be grocery shopping soon and I want to make some soups to can.  Something hubby can just grab up for a single serving meal or feed the family.  What are your favorite recipes?  I've read the warnings; no milk, flour, starch, pasta, rice, and dried vegetables must be fully rehydrated.  I get the reasons behind that (kinda), but I'd also read about not canning pureed soups and I don't get the reasoning behind that.

by on Nov. 10, 2013 at 8:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Nov. 10, 2013 at 9:22 AM

VEGETABLE SOUP

2 quarts peeled, cored, chopped tomatoes

1 1/2 quarts peeled and cubed potatoes

1 1/2 quarts 3/4-inch sliced carrots

1 quart lima beans

1 quart cut corn, uncooked

2 cups 1-inch sliced celery

2 cups chopped onions

1 1/2 quarts water

salt and pepper to taste

Combine all vegetables in a large saucepot. Add water; boil 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. Ladle hot soup into hot jars, leaving 1 inch headspace. Remove air bubbles. Adjust lids and rings. Process pints 1 hour, quarts 1 hour and 15 minutes at 10 lbs. pressure. Yield: about 14 pints or 7 quarts.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Nov. 10, 2013 at 9:22 AM

BEEF STEW WITH VEGETABLES

4 to 5 lbs. beef stew meat

1 Tbsp. oil

3 quarts peeled and cubed potatoes

2 quarts sliced carrots

3 cups chopped celery

3 cups chopped onions

1 1/2 Tbsp. salt

1 tsp. thyme

1/2 tsp. pepper

Cut meat into 1 1/2 inch cubes; brown in oil. Combine meat, vegetables and seasonings; cover with boiling water. Bring stew to a boil. Ladle hot stew into hot jars, leaving 1 inch headspace. Remove air bubbles. Adjust lids and rings. Process in a pressure canner: pints 1 hour, quarts 1 hour and 15 minutes at 10 lbs. pressure. Yields 14 pints or 7 quarts.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Nov. 10, 2013 at 9:23 AM

CHICKEN SOUP

4 quarts chicken stock

3 cups diced chicken

1 1/2 cups diced celery

1 1/2 cups sliced carrots

1 cup diced onion

salt and pepper to taste

3 chicken boullion cubes

Combine chicken stock, chicken and vegetables. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Season to taste. Add boullion cubes. Cook until boullion cubes are dissolved. Ladle hot soup into hot jars, leaving 1 inch headspace. Adjust lids and rings. Process pints 1 hour and 15 minutes, quarts 1 hour and 30 minutes at 10 lbs. pressure. Yield about 8 pints or 4 quarts.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Nov. 10, 2013 at 9:27 AM
ncbirdie
by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 3:49 PM

Thank you, michiganmom.  I'm gonna get right on some of these.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN