Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

Being frugal with my time

Posted by on Dec. 14, 2013 at 8:10 AM
  • 42 Replies
3 moms liked this

I know a lot of us are frugal with our money but are any of you frugal with your time. I have found lately being unorganized is costing me time and money. Meaning it is taking me longer to get dressed so now we also have to grab a fast food snack cause we didnt have time at home. 

One of the biggest time sucks in my life is the amount of time it takes to drag out my craft stuff. I love crafting and a lot of the time it saves me money, but dragging out and putting up my sewing machine and whatever other project is getting ridiculous. 

I was able to spend less than $25 and rearrange my room so that I have a craft station! I am so excited. No more wasted time and everything is organized. I am also not going to waste money buying supplies I already have, cause now I can find them all!

Desk $10 (had all the paint)

Chair $5

Hardware for shelf and ribbon bar $5ish

I now can access all my cricut stuff and sewing machine all the time! I also went through and got rid of old materials and made sure the things I used most are easy to get too.

I put this vinyl decal on the side of the desk to decorate it a little bit and add some fun. I really like how everything turned out!

Is there something you do or could do to be more frugal with your time?

by on Dec. 14, 2013 at 8:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Dec. 14, 2013 at 8:32 AM
5 moms liked this

I have 3 teens at home, we homeschool, I watch my granddaughter a few days a week, we have barn animals and house pets to care for, I'm pretty crafty myself, I have a 2000 sq ft. home to keep neat, AND I have a huge garden in the summer that I preserve by canning, dehydrating, or freezing.

How do I save time?

• I have adapted Flylady routines/techniques to minimize the time I spend doing housework.  No joke that it takes literally minutes a day to do  so.
  • I clean as I go...most of the time.  If I'm passing through a room and see something that needs neatening or putting away, I'll do it then.
  • I empty the dishwasher when it's done (takes 3 minutes...I did time myself a few times).  That eliminates dirty dishes left on the countertop/in the sink...my kids will use any excuse to not take care of their dishes, so I don't give them one.  I also have a dishwand at the sink to clean up pots & pans as they're dirtied.
  • When (almost) 2 yr old granddaughter leaves, I take less than 5 minutes to put away what she's messed up.  If it takes longer, than she's got too many toys to play with.
  • I do laundry when the hamper is full.  Takes less than a minute to load the washer, 30 seconds to move laundry from washer to dryer, and less than 4 minutes to fold a (very large) load when it's done.  Takes just a couple of minutes to put laundry away.  One load of laundry takes less than 8 minutes out of my day.
  • I meal plan....saves me some time when it comes to meal prep because I use extra minutes during the day to get a head start. 
  • I use my crockpot a lot....just a few minutes (about 5 minutes or less) to put everything together, then I don't need to worry about it until it's time to eat.
  • My crafting items are usually kept to what can be kept in a tote bag.  I will do larger projects once in a while, but only at a time/place when I can leave them out for a few days.
  • I plan out my shopping trips so that I'm only shopping one day a week or less, and I try to keep that to only the morning.

Anniea90
by Bronze Member on Dec. 14, 2013 at 8:42 AM

ohhh Flylady sounds interesting do you have a link?

Quoting michiganmom116:

I have 3 teens at home, we homeschool, I watch my granddaughter a few days a week, we have barn animals and house pets to care for, I'm pretty crafty myself, I have a 2000 sq ft. home to keep neat, AND I have a huge garden in the summer that I preserve by canning, dehydrating, or freezing.

How do I save time?

• I have adapted Flylady routines/techniques to minimize the time I spend doing housework.  No joke that it takes literally minutes a day to do  so.
  • I clean as I go...most of the time.  If I'm passing through a room and see something that needs neatening or putting away, I'll do it then.
  • I empty the dishwasher when it's done (takes 3 minutes...I did time myself a few times).  That eliminates dirty dishes left on the countertop/in the sink...my kids will use any excuse to not take care of their dishes, so I don't give them one.  I also have a dishwand at the sink to clean up pots & pans as they're dirtied.
  • When (almost) 2 yr old granddaughter leaves, I take less than 5 minutes to put away what she's messed up.  If it takes longer, than she's got too many toys to play with.
  • I do laundry when the hamper is full.  Takes less than a minute to load the washer, 30 seconds to move laundry from washer to dryer, and less than 4 minutes to fold a (very large) load when it's done.  Takes just a couple of minutes to put laundry away.  One load of laundry takes less than 8 minutes out of my day.
  • I meal plan....saves me some time when it comes to meal prep because I use extra minutes during the day to get a head start. 
  • I use my crockpot a lot....just a few minutes (about 5 minutes or less) to put everything together, then I don't need to worry about it until it's time to eat.
  • My crafting items are usually kept to what can be kept in a tote bag.  I will do larger projects once in a while, but only at a time/place when I can leave them out for a few days.
  • I plan out my shopping trips so that I'm only shopping one day a week or less, and I try to keep that to only the morning.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Dec. 14, 2013 at 9:27 AM

flylady.net

Some things from the site can be overwhelming.  I've been using them for years and I don't do EVERYTHING she recommends...but I've streamlined them to work for us.

Quoting Anniea90:

ohhh Flylady sounds interesting do you have a link?

Quoting michiganmom116:

How do I save time?

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Dec. 14, 2013 at 9:41 AM

^^^the link was incorrect for a few minutes....I corrected it so that it works now.

Debmomto2girls
by Bronze Member on Dec. 14, 2013 at 10:31 AM

I have tried the FlyLady a couple of times but being a working mom I had a hard time following it.  It might be easier now that I teach nursing because when I was doing 12 hour shifts it just didn't work.

Quoting michiganmom116:

How do I save time?

KenzieQsMommy
by Heather on Dec. 14, 2013 at 10:43 AM
1 mom liked this
I need to get better at time management too. I'll be following this post!
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Dec. 14, 2013 at 10:56 AM

I couldn't keep up when I followed EVERYTHING she recommended, working or not.  I had to take what was relevant to ME and my situation and do those things.  I have a morning routine, bedtime routine, daily things to do lists (Monday is neatening, laundry, and floors...Tuesday is water the plants, wash windows/,mirrors/picture frame glass, zone cleaning...Wednesday is totally wipe countertops, clean the microwave and other appliances, wash down cupboards, zone cleaning...Thursday is scrub the bathroom, laundry, menu planning, zone cleaning.....Friday and Saturday are devoted to cleaning out the cars, shopping, yard work, barn cleaning), and weekly zone cleaning (done 10 to 15 minutes at a time.)

When I had the accident and lost my finger 4 weeks ago, I already had everything lined up for meal plans and my family is used to the routines.  It was easy for them to keep the routines and my house suffered very little during the time that I was unable to do anything/slowed down due to my injured hand.

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

I have tried the FlyLady a couple of times but being a working mom I had a hard time following it.  It might be easier now that I teach nursing because when I was doing 12 hour shifts it just didn't work.

Quoting michiganmom116:

Christmas countdown banner

Anniea90
by Bronze Member on Dec. 14, 2013 at 11:21 AM
1 mom liked this
Thanks! I'm goin to check it out. I have been tryin to stay on top of housework but haven't found a good system yet

Quoting michiganmom116:

^^^the link was incorrect for a few minutes....I corrected it so that it works now.

Debmomto2girls
by Bronze Member on Dec. 14, 2013 at 11:21 AM
1 mom liked this

That's a good idea. Just pick what is relevant to me.  I am on semester break and I need to get organized before it starts again.  Maybe I will try it again.  Thanks

Quoting michiganmom116:

I couldn't keep up when I followed EVERYTHING she recommended, working or not.  I had to take what was relevant to ME and my situation and do those things.  I have a morning routine, bedtime routine, daily things to do lists (Monday is neatening, laundry, and floors...Tuesday is water the plants, wash windows/,mirrors/picture frame glass, zone cleaning...Wednesday is totally wipe countertops, clean the microwave and other appliances, wash down cupboards, zone cleaning...Thursday is scrub the bathroom, laundry, menu planning, zone cleaning.....Friday and Saturday are devoted to cleaning out the cars, shopping, yard work, barn cleaning), and weekly zone cleaning (done 10 to 15 minutes at a time.)

When I had the accident and lost my finger 4 weeks ago, I already had everything lined up for meal plans and my family is used to the routines.  It was easy for them to keep the routines and my house suffered very little during the time that I was unable to do anything/slowed down due to my injured hand.

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

Quoting michiganmom116:

Anniea90
by Bronze Member on Dec. 14, 2013 at 11:22 AM
I have a hard time stayin on a schedule, but I am so much more productive and happy when I do. I need to work on it myself

Quoting KenzieQsMommy: I need to get better at time management too. I'll be following this post!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)