Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

How do you save on your heating bill?

Posted by on Dec. 19, 2013 at 10:54 PM
  • 40 Replies

We switched from oil to gas heat last year and we've seen big savings. What does everyone have their thermostats at? Do you keep it on the same temp or turn it lower when you're not home or sleeping?

by on Dec. 19, 2013 at 10:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KME3
by Member on Dec. 19, 2013 at 10:56 PM
1 mom liked this
It's off right now. We have a fireplace if we are chilly.. We keep it on 72 when it gets real cold.
Stacie03
by Silver Member on Dec. 20, 2013 at 12:22 AM
1 mom liked this

We cover our windows with plastic and use thermal drapes, the doors all have a towel or draft stopper thing at the bottoms.  This year we are testing out some stuff called seal and peel for in the window frames (seems to be working well).  We need a new thermostat as it feels and is so much colder than what it's set at.  We set it at 71 in the day time and 66 at night, but it is actually 3-5*'s colder.

I would like to look more into an outdoor wood burner as we have a practically free wood supplier.  

We have a fire place but rarely use it as it doesn't heat much.

LaughCryLive
by Bronze Member on Dec. 20, 2013 at 1:01 AM
2 moms liked this
I live in a second floor apartment. We are usually pretty warm if it's set at 60. One of the perks of living in the middle of nowhere is my rent and utilities equals $450 for a 2 bedroom apartment. Can't beat that!
amanda_mom89
by Member on Dec. 20, 2013 at 1:42 AM
Winter is the cheap season for us. Our heat is electric and our bill runs about $80 for electricity.

We live in Texas so it's the long summer that eats us up on electricity.

Our "winter" has given us 70 degree weather this week.
amanda_mom89
by Member on Dec. 20, 2013 at 1:44 AM
We are blessed with our rent too. We live in a 3 bedroom, 1.5 bath duplex apartment. Rent is $462. Only utility is electric and it ranges between $80 and $125 depending on the season.

Quoting LaughCryLive: I live in a second floor apartment. We are usually pretty warm if it's set at 60. One of the perks of living in the middle of nowhere is my rent and utilities equals $450 for a 2 bedroom apartment. Can't beat that!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Dec. 20, 2013 at 6:56 AM
1 mom liked this

There's no way we can afford to heat our house with gas or oil during the winter.  We have LP available, but LP is $3.39 a gallon at the moment.  We have a wood-burning furnace and that's what we use for our primary heat source.

chicken13
by Silver Member on Dec. 20, 2013 at 7:11 AM

We heat primarily with a wood stove in our main living area.  We have an oil furnace, but our heat is set at 50...just so pipes don't freeze.  If you don't like 50...then put more wood on the fire. 

Autumn07
by on Dec. 20, 2013 at 8:21 AM

I would love to have a outdoor wood stove! Alot of homes have them around here but we rent so have gas heat. We keep it at 65 at night and around 68 during the day. We crank it up a little for when we are getting ready for the day (baths, showers)

I have covered the windows in plastic and the doors that are out of use in winter get closed off and weatherstripped. It always feels a little warmer after I do that!

Autumn07
by on Dec. 20, 2013 at 8:22 AM

Forgot to say, I live in Michigan... where' it's 26 right now... not too bad! Seriously! lol

BeachLifeMama
by Dawn on Dec. 20, 2013 at 8:33 AM
So far we haven't turn on our heater and hopefully it'll stay that way. That's one of the reason why I like living down the South.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)