Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

Do you plan on shopping today?

Posted by on Jan. 1, 2014 at 9:39 AM
  • 20 Replies

Target, Walmart & 14 Other Stores Open on New Year's Day

by Maressa Brown

target registersWhile you're recovering from watching the ball drop and ringing in 2014, you might find yourself needing to go shopping for a staple or two. Or maybe even craving some retail therapy and wanting to snag your first bargain of the year! Of course retailers know that, and that's why many of them are open today (albeit, perhaps with abbreviated hours), in spite of federal offices, the postal service, the stock market, and banks being closed.

Here, a list of stores you can expect to be open and closed on New Year's Day ....

Most convenience and grocery stores should be open, with few exceptions:

CVS: Most stores will be open during regular business hours. Call 1-800-SHOP-CVS to find out if the CVS near you will be open.

Publix: Stores located in the following Florida counties will open at 7 a.m.: Broward, Dade, Indian River, Martin, Monroe, Okeechobee, Palm Beach, St. Lucie, and Palm Beach. All other stores open at regular hours. Many stores will close at 7 p.m.; stores in select areas will close later. Please call your store to confirm their operating hours. (Store locator.)

Rite Aid: Should be open regular business hours. (Store locator.)

Walgreens: 24-hour stores will operate on normal business hours.

• Other national chains that WILL be open:

Barnes & Noble: 10 a.m. to 9 p.m. (some locations open even later).

Bed Bath and Beyond: 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. but some locations open even earlier. (Find your local store's hours here.)

Belk: Stores will be open 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. on New Year’s Day.

Best Buy: Some stores will open at 10 a.m. and close at 6 p.m. or even as late as 9 p.m. in some locations on Jan. 1, 2014. (Find your local store's hours here.)

Big Lots: Stores open 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.

Dick’s Sporting Goods: 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.

IKEA: Stores are open 10 a.m. to 7 p.m.

Kmart: Stores are open 8 a.m. to 10 p.m.

Macy's: Most stores will remain open during regular business hours today. (Check your local store here.)

Sports Authority: 9 a.m. to 9:30 p.m. New Year’s Day, but earlier in some locations. (Check for local store hours here.)

Target: Stores are open during regular business hours today.

Walmart: Store hours vary by location. Many stores are open early as 6 a.m. today. The 24-hour locations will remain open during normal hours. (Check for local store hours here.)

National chains that will be closed:

Costco

Toys R Us

Do you plan on shopping today?

by on Jan. 1, 2014 at 9:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BeachLifeMama
by Dawn on Jan. 1, 2014 at 10:03 AM
I'm just going to Walgreens for my passport picture & that's it.
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jan. 1, 2014 at 10:04 AM
3 moms liked this

Nope.  One of my goals for the new year is to put more money in savings and that's hard to do when I'm out shopping all the time.

charla_r
by Charla on Jan. 1, 2014 at 10:09 AM
Nope, not shopping today.
pinkcoffeecup
by Silver Member on Jan. 1, 2014 at 10:37 AM

Heck no to the shopping.  It's snowing hard out.  Roads are slick.   We stopped at Walmart last night after we ate dinner out.  I needed a few things before the snow hit. 

e.sugarbaby
by Bronze Member on Jan. 1, 2014 at 10:56 AM

Maybe ...need to buy a paint brush...dh and I are gonna paint the bathroom tomorrow!  

mom4awesomekids
by Member on Jan. 1, 2014 at 10:57 AM
No
Bleacheddecay
by Bronze Member on Jan. 1, 2014 at 1:00 PM

No way. I have to go places the new two days. Today is a stay at home day. One of the last I will have in 2014. LOL

RosePetalTears
by Bronze Member on Jan. 1, 2014 at 1:27 PM

not sure. I stil have some returns to make to target and i might need some more meds for my dd...her temp hit 104.3 last night and I am about to run out of motrin/tylenol

tmajma032408
by New Member on Jan. 1, 2014 at 3:22 PM
Can't go anywhere until I get stickers in my car, and can't do that until I get paid. It will cost almost 2000 to fix it, I will just get another car at tax time cuz I know my car isn't even worth 2000. Happy new year to me lol
UCFknight
by Member on Jan. 1, 2014 at 3:40 PM

was sick for Christmas and the day after sale. Found a few great deals at walmart today! A lot more was there than I though would be there!  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)