Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

Feeding 5 teenage boys...ugh

Posted by on Jan. 7, 2014 at 3:03 AM
  • 44 Replies
We are a family of 7. Myself, my hubby and our sons are 18, 18, 17, 15 & 13. They are bottomless pits! Recently we've had a ton of unexpected medical expenses and I've lost half of my income. Its very frustrating. I try very hard to be creative and come up with meals with what we have but I run out of ideas so I thought I'd see if other people have suggestions. I'm not exaggerating when I say I feed all of us on $300 or less per month until we can get my health back on track & that includes breakfast, packing hubbys lunch and dinners. I generally use meat sparingly because of its cost so no meals where everyone gets their own serving of meat. Most so called cheap meal recipes are for families of 4 or less so once I double it they're no where close to cheap! So any suggestions for super cheap but good meals for large families??
by on Jan. 7, 2014 at 3:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
diaperstodating
by Queen24Princes on Jan. 7, 2014 at 3:09 AM
2 moms liked this
Welcome to the group!
MichiganMom will be able to help. She and many ladies in this group are full of good ideas.
acrogodess
by Bronze Member on Jan. 7, 2014 at 3:09 AM
Spaghetti with meat sauce.

If you buy the canned spaghetti sauce when they're at a dollar or less apiece, pasta when on sale at $0.59 apiece, and a small pack of ground beef to brown and mix with the sauce or one polish keilbasa to brown and mix with the sauce. Should be able to eat for at least two meals for about $5-6.

For veggies you can add a can of diced tomatoes or 1/2 bag of frozen chopped spinach to the sauce. Both can be found for $1 when on sale. The canned diced tomatoes can occasional be found at $0.75
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
acrogodess
by Bronze Member on Jan. 7, 2014 at 3:13 AM
Hot dogs or polish kielbasa with mac and cheese. Cheap hot dogs can be as low as $1 per package. Add a can of diced tomatoes. Dice the hot dogs or kielbasa and saute with some onions. Stir in with three boxes of Mac and cheese. Boxed mac and cheese can be found for as low as $0.33 per box of store brand.

Watch the sales. Buy in bulk.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
acrogodess
by Bronze Member on Jan. 7, 2014 at 3:15 AM
Bag of Goya lentils (possibly two for all of yall). Follow the directions on the bag. Serve over white rice.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JTE11
by Member on Jan. 7, 2014 at 3:15 AM
1 mom liked this

Soups and stews are good for stretching a long way. Chile with lots of beans and rice is a favorite of ours. You need protein and beans and legumes are good for that. Also, eggs are relatively cheap and a good source of protein, so we will eat eggs for dinner at times when we're trying to not spend money on meat. Two eggs per person is a lot cheaper than a cut of meat per person. Add potatoes and a separate veggie or make a salad from head lettuce, which is relatively inexpensive. Feeding seven people is going to be more expensive any way you do it, but sticking to bulk dry foods like beans and rice and cheaper foods like potatoes and eggs will help a little.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jan. 7, 2014 at 6:41 AM

I never had luck getting my family to eat lentils.  Blech.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jan. 7, 2014 at 6:43 AM
1 mom liked this

I doubled this when I made it, served with homemade muffins and veggie sticks or glazed carrots.  It easily fed all 7, with leftovers.

Baked Beans

• 1 lb. dry navy beans (I've also used black-eye peas or great northern beans)
  • 6 cups water
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 3/4 c. ketchup
  • 3/4 c. brown sugar
  • 3/4 - 1 c. water
  • 1 tsp. dry mustard
  • 2 Tbsp. molasses
  • 1 tsp. salt

Soak beans in water overnight in large pot. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, simmer until soft, about 1 1/2 hours. Drain and discard water. Mix together all ingredients in crock pot. Cover and cook on low 10 to 12 hours.

Note: I often soak the beans the day before, cook them and then cook in crock pot overnight.

Note: I sometimes add sliced hot dogs or ham to the mixture. When I do this I reduce the salt to 1/2 tsp.

Saharra
by on Jan. 7, 2014 at 6:48 AM
1 mom liked this
Protein fills be holds really well. If they are still feeling hungry after meals, offer peanut butter sandwiches or toast. Milk at the meal will also help.

Chili with lots of beans in it never looks very filling, but it's amazing how much a little bit will fill and hold as well. Here's a cheap and easy recipe-

1 large can Great Northern Beans
8oz Colby/Jack cheese
1 can salsa
1 can Chicken Broth

1 can of chicken (or use frozen chicken, cook and add in. It's a bit harder, but I think the big frozen bags are cheaper and you can add in more or less)

Chili powder to taste

Throw it into a crock pot and let it go. Ready when they are and VERY filling!
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jan. 7, 2014 at 6:52 AM

This fed 8 as long as I had sides

Chicken & Rice Casserole

• 8 pieces chicken drums or thighs or combination
  • 1 can cream of mushroom soup
  • 1 to 1 1/2 soup cans water
  • 1 Tbsp. dry onion flakes
  • 2 tsp. beef boullion
  • 1 cup long grain rice

Wash chicken pieces (I prefer to remove the skin too). In 9 x 13 pan or baking dish, combine the rest of the ingredients and mix well. Add chicken pieces. Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.

mjgm1966
by on Jan. 7, 2014 at 6:53 AM

Goulash and soups!  Pots of soup go a long way, and it's good weather for it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)