Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

Feeding 5 teenage boys...ugh

Posted by   + Show Post
We are a family of 7. Myself, my hubby and our sons are 18, 18, 17, 15 & 13. They are bottomless pits! Recently we've had a ton of unexpected medical expenses and I've lost half of my income. Its very frustrating. I try very hard to be creative and come up with meals with what we have but I run out of ideas so I thought I'd see if other people have suggestions. I'm not exaggerating when I say I feed all of us on $300 or less per month until we can get my health back on track & that includes breakfast, packing hubbys lunch and dinners. I generally use meat sparingly because of its cost so no meals where everyone gets their own serving of meat. Most so called cheap meal recipes are for families of 4 or less so once I double it they're no where close to cheap! So any suggestions for super cheap but good meals for large families??
by on Jan. 7, 2014 at 3:03 AM
Replies (41-44):
MrsD.Duvall
by New Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 10:59 AM
Soup, stews, make a turkey use the carcass to make turkey soup. Lots of pasta an beans.' Get the cheap slice ham at the deli and cheap cheese slices for grilled sandwiches. Cup o noodles for
In between meals ( they have macaroni and cheese like ones, more like thick noodles that macaroni but cheap.) add potatoes to everything. I'm sure your boys will manage to burn all the carb off.
Barb10
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 11:02 AM

Prob all mentioned already but spaghetti,chili,my kids like Tom soup and grilled cheese.im glad my oldest got a part time job and he gets a free meal when he works so it helps some nights!

shellybird
by Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 1:47 PM

I would use cheap add-ins to bulk up your meat!  I love to add a can of black beans into my 1lb ground beef for tacos or mexican-type meals.  For 50 cents a can you can't go wrong. 

aj_mom
by Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 5:34 PM

Chicken pot pie, chili, vegetable soup,

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN