Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

I paid all that for a piece of plastic Ugggg

Posted by on Jan. 12, 2014 at 6:52 PM
  • 13 Replies

Ok the shower faucet handle had been broken a while.  The whole faucet is old or a outdated model.  Some time back we had a leak in the faucet fixed.  But couldn't find the fix to the faucet.  The plumber we used to fix the leak.  Gave us a place that gets parts for all the older model stuff.   Ok took the old face plate and that in. Told them the handle is broke.  Do you have a part.  They said well the face plate is good.  You need this square plastic thing and the plastic handle.  Ok. Can you get me that.  The guy says he thinks he should have that.  Sends his partner looking for it.  Comes back with something. That wasn't the exact fit.  So he looks up my part in a catalogue. Says Oh I see what you need.  I can have that for you by Wednesday.  Ok. Go ahead  and place the order.   I said how much?  He said 42.25$ with tax.  My mouth dropped. For a couple pieces of plastic.  But on the good side. If we wanted a new faucet. That would cost us over 1000$.  Well the plumber would have to go in a closet that has a wall against the bathroom.  He'd have to open up this panel.  Cut a pipe and rip some stuff up. Replacing it with something else.  I told dh oh heck no to that. Not unless we were planning to spend to redo the whole bathroom.    I'll take the 42$ parts for now. 

by on Jan. 12, 2014 at 6:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jan. 12, 2014 at 9:07 PM

Wow

GrandmaSherry
by Gold Member on Jan. 12, 2014 at 9:24 PM

Geez.....thats crazy for a faucet handle.

specialwingz
by Corey on Jan. 12, 2014 at 9:38 PM

What kind of shower faucet do you have that would cost $1K to replace???

yanamom
by on Jan. 12, 2014 at 9:59 PM

$1k for a faucet? I don't think it cost us that much to redo the whole bathroom, including new sink, new sink faucet, new shower faucets (we have two on the shower) and a new garden window!

Stop shopping at Tiffany's and start shopping at Home Depot or Lowes. I don't think they even carry a $1k shower faucet... I'm sure they could order you one, but why would you want one that expensive?

pinkcoffeecup
by Silver Member on Jan. 12, 2014 at 10:14 PM

We got some old Sterling Kohler faucet.  They don't make a newer faucet that fits the old piping for some reason.  Because we live in a older home. To get to the pipe. It's in the closet in a bedroom. There is a panel that pulls off.  You can see all the pips for the bathtub/shower.  It's very tight quarters working in there. So very difficult getting in with a pipe cutter to work on it.  That is why plumbers quoted us 1000$ and up to change it all out.   So if we were ever going to do that.  It would be when the whole bathroom gets ripped up. Then they would have the wall in the bathroom where the tub is torn open. Much easier to cut the pipe or pipes and replace.  Not that the pipes are bad. Just replacement parts are not so readily available.  So we went the cheap route.  Them finding us new parts to the face plate where the handle sits on.  As they are available but hard to find. We were lucky to find a  plumbing supply store that was able to locate parts.

Quoting specialwingz:

TheBabyFactory4
by Catherine on Jan. 12, 2014 at 10:19 PM
Things cost so much now a days
pinkcoffeecup
by Silver Member on Jan. 12, 2014 at 10:24 PM

I really wanted this different type of faucet. With a different handle. That is easy for dh to wrap his hand on to turn on and off. Dh has MS.  His fingers don't work proper.  We looked for a cheaper faucet to just change it out ourselves.  Seeing some new faucets for a shower not to horridly priced that we liked.  To find out the newer stuff don't fit the old connecting stuff in the wall now, where the faucet goes.  So annoying and expensive.  But at least do have a fix that will work.  Just not the handle that dh had hoped for.   At least it will look normal again. 

specialwingz
by Corey on Jan. 12, 2014 at 10:24 PM
1 mom liked this

Owned my own construction/contracting company for over 20 years.  You either have some overpaid plumbers or extremely slow plumbers in your area.  Possibly both.  LOL.  No reason a job like that should take more than 3 hours.

Quoting pinkcoffeecup:

We got some old Sterling Kohler faucet.  They don't make a newer faucet that fits the old piping for some reason.  Because we live in a older home. To get to the pipe. It's in the closet in a bedroom. There is a panel that pulls off.  You can see all the pips for the bathtub/shower.  It's very tight quarters working in there. So very difficult getting in with a pipe cutter to work on it.  That is why plumbers quoted us 1000$ and up to change it all out.   So if we were ever going to do that.  It would be when the whole bathroom gets ripped up. Then they would have the wall in the bathroom where the tub is torn open. Much easier to cut the pipe or pipes and replace.  Not that the pipes are bad. Just replacement parts are not so readily available.  So we went the cheap route.  Them finding us new parts to the face plate where the handle sits on.  As they are available but hard to find. We were lucky to find a  plumbing supply store that was able to locate parts.

Quoting specialwingz:

AzariahsMother
by on Jan. 13, 2014 at 12:26 AM
Dang!
katherinemcp
by Bronze Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 9:18 AM
"Stop shopping at Tiffany's"

totally cracked me up, lol. (:

Quoting yanamom:

$1k for a faucet? I don't think it cost us that much to redo the whole bathroom, including new sink, new sink faucet, new shower faucets (we have two on the shower) and a new garden window!

Stop shopping at Tiffany's and start shopping at Home Depot or Lowes. I don't think they even carry a $1k shower faucet... I'm sure they could order you one, but why would you want one that expensive?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN