Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

Are warehouse stores worth the cost of membership?

Posted by on Jan. 13, 2014 at 4:29 PM
  • 58 Replies

They're putting in a Costco here and we have a Sam's, but I've never been to either one.

Are they really worth the cost you pay for membership? Have you ever saved big at one of those discount warehouse stores?

♥ ♥   I love to read. ♥ ♥

by on Jan. 13, 2014 at 4:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DACIA79
by Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 4:32 PM
1 mom liked this
It depends on the person but for me it has definitely been worth it.

If you don't like they will refund your membership
diaperstodating
by Queen24Princes on Jan. 13, 2014 at 4:50 PM
1 mom liked this

It's worth it to me. I originally joined when Costco opened up near my house to save on gas. Eventually I started buying food and other products in bulk.

I agree that it depends on you and your family if it will be worth it for you.

mom2bahandcch
by on Jan. 13, 2014 at 4:56 PM
Ours is. We shop at Sam's. We buy food and drinks in bulk. And if they have your brand of toilet paper or paper towels they are great! When my kids were smaller I bought diapers there in the huge boxes.
Anniea90
by Bronze Member on Jan. 14, 2014 at 9:31 AM

My mom and aunt split the cost of the membership. So its not as bad. We use it for DDs snack at school, big bags of sugar, seasonings, things along those lines. If you use a good amount of pre-packaged stuff or like to buy toliet paper and stuff in bulk it can be worth it.

aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Jan. 14, 2014 at 9:55 AM

it can be if you have space to keep things and will be using them often. certain things like paper goods esp were good to buy there. if you have a big family then getting food items in bulk gets used up and is more cost effective. i would def give it a try for a year and see how it worked out.

Come join me at Serious Coupon Swappers.
http://www.cafemom.com/group/seriouscouponswappers

Marz31
by Bronze Member on Jan. 14, 2014 at 11:40 AM

We save twice the cost of memberhsip in gas savings alone. DH fills up weekly at about $2-3 savings per fillup (doesn't seem like much, it's convenient tho, so that's why it's actually savings) and then we buy things inside too that are less than normal stores. we don't spend tons inside. Oh, sorry, Costco. We bought a groupon for a Sams membership, but they're not as close. we just liked the option and the membership was basically free. 

Firenygirl180
by Member on Jan. 14, 2014 at 11:43 AM
We don't have one here, but my dad is a member and he saved a lot on some small appliances there. They send out coupons as well and those are great.

I go every time i visit my dad to get essentials and he will bring stuff out for us as well.

If we got one here we'd probably join
specialwingz
by Corey on Jan. 14, 2014 at 11:50 AM
2 moms liked this

I was on a business account for years through my ex-inlaws.  Honestly, I was glad I didn't pay the membership.  It just wasn't worth it to me.

Bigger is NOT always better.  Sure, they have an uber-sized box of Cheerios.  But, I can buy 2 bags of my grocery store brand O's to equal the same weight and it costs me way less than those at Sam's!

Same goes for my TP and paper towels.  When my grocery store puts them on sale, I just stock up.  Again, I come out spending less than buying the bulk sizes at Sam's.

I'm not saying that there aren't some decent deals there.  Sure, the mega-sized mayo is a great price.  But, it's so large that I'd never be able to use it all before it went bad.  And, there really isn't a way to break it down and store it.  Same goes for their large spice containers.  If you aren't going to use them within 6 months, they aren't a bargain.  They lose most of their potency in that time.

So, as I said, it's not worth it for me.  What few things I might buy there do not constitute a membership.  You can get a free one-day pass every month right online.  So, in the event I DO want something from Sam's, I will just print out a one-day free pass.

Maries_Mom23
by Member on Jan. 14, 2014 at 11:53 AM

For us...it is.  We pay $45 yearly for Sam's (I think that's the price).  Things we buy on a regular basis are Jimmy Dean breakfast sandwiches (mainly for DH to grab and go in the mornings), fresh produce, some meats, toilet paper, sometimes clothing (DH loves their jeans) and other items in the food area.  When the girls hit Christmas break, I got instant oatmeal, cereal, canned ravioli and canned chicken (to make chicken salad).  

lizard3731
by Bronze Member on Jan. 15, 2014 at 7:52 AM

I have a membership through work that doesn't cost me anything.  I generally think it's just as cheap to shop at Aldi's or WalMart.  And it seems like they don't have what I'm looking for some of the time.  I rarely shop there.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)