Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you still have a landline phone?

Posted by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 3:18 PM
  • 80 Replies

We still have ours since it's required for our DSL service, but there are rumors that the cable company is FINALLY bringing cable internet out here. If they do, we want to switch and ditch the landline and just use my cell phone as our main point of contact.

Do you still have a landline phone? If not, how long have you been a cellphone-only household?

How much would or did it save you to ditch the landline?

by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 3:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Jan. 16, 2014 at 3:41 PM

no land line...been cell phone for about 8 years

Come join me at Serious Coupon Swappers.
http://www.cafemom.com/group/seriouscouponswappers

pixiemg1
by Bronze Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 3:49 PM

We got rid of it back in June and I do not miss it at all.  Should have gotten rid of it sooner.   It saves us $30 by getting rid of it.  The only person I ever called or called us on the landline was my mom.  

kdgord
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 3:49 PM
Nope, probably been 5+ years now that we have been without a landline
chrisnjoesmom
by Adrienne on Jan. 16, 2014 at 3:53 PM

Yes, decided we need it at least till after we go on our trip, so that the babysitters and my kids have access to a phone. But the past few years 90% of the calls I get are telemarketers. Luckily we have caller id too. 

RonaH
by Silver Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 4:10 PM

No I can't even remember when I did have one. LOL

michiganmom116
by Ruby Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 4:23 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't have a cellphone.  Our landline/DSL internet/satellite TV bundle is $70/month...a simple cellphone plan is around $50.  I can't see where dumping the landline would save us money.

jsbuck
by Janet on Jan. 16, 2014 at 4:31 PM

We just got rid of ours last September when we switched our cell phones over to smartphones and got a larger package with data and more minutes.  It ended up saving us about $30 a month.  Of course our cell phone bill went up LOL.  

I wanted to keep the landline until ds was old enough to understand how to use a cell phone and know our address and such in case of an emergency.

specialwingz
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 5:00 PM
2 moms liked this

Sure do.  Ours is digital through Time Warner.  I refuse to depend on my cell phone.  My landline never cuts out or drops a call.

specialwingz
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 5:03 PM

I pay $2.95 per month to be unlisted and non-published for that very reason. A small expense that is well worth it to me.  I get more soliciting calls on my cell than I do at home.  But, I never answer those.  And, there is no way to stop those, unfortunately.

Quoting chrisnjoesmom:

Yes, decided we need it at least till after we go on our trip, so that the babysitters and my kids have access to a phone. But the past few years 90% of the calls I get are telemarketers. Luckily we have caller id too. 

momtoo4boyz
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 5:04 PM
Yes.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)