Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

How do you keep track of your Coupons?

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2014 at 10:27 AM
  • 10 Replies
I end up never using most of my coupons bc I forget I have them or they expire. I usuallly go to the store w my kids, who are 2 & 10 months, so I don't have a ton of time.

I've tried using a binder w the clear plastic things (can you tell I don't know know much about all this?) but it was hard to organize everything and I didn't know when stuff expired so I ended up losing coupons.

How do you keep your coupons organized?

I should add I'm not this huge couponing mama lol. so i dont have hundreds of coupons but I have a few dozen or so. Thanks in advance!!
by on Jan. 21, 2014 at 10:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momrocks2000
by Bronze Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 10:42 AM

I use a very little coupon holder.  I don't keep them all separated.   Before I go to any store, I make a list of items I'm buying at each store; each store gets a separate list: Target, grocery store, Dollar store, Walgreens, Bath & Body Works, the Mall, etc.:  then I clip the cpns to go to EACH STORE, and make sure I print out or write out if I need to use an APP Coupon or a mobile coupon at Target or Family Dollar, etc.;  becuase I'm on a tight budget, I try to save atleast $1.00 per item, which makes my time worth it.  If I am saving 40% each time I shop; that is like earning $40.00 per hour of couponing....that is A LOT of money.  I did this when I worked full time, and now, I'm a SAHM.   I don't like binders either.   I keep most of my coupons at home, only take what i am going to use.  Oh, & I take a calculator with me, to make sure I'm getting a GOOD DEAL. 

aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Jan. 21, 2014 at 11:25 AM

i use envelopes...i label them with type of coupons (food or non food)

if I am going to a certain store...say CVS...I pull out all the ones I will need for that trip and put into another envie labelled CVS :)

it works for me. i dont have tons of coupons so it is easy to track and keep up. pull out expireds etc.

rmp
by Bronze Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 12:08 PM

I have been using an expandable plastic check or bill organizer . I buy it at Staples once it comes apart I buy another one. I think it runs me about 6.99 or 8.00 dollars. I buy 2 or 3 sunday newspapers a week. I love it because it works for me. 

specialwingz
by Corey on Jan. 21, 2014 at 12:46 PM

I don't use that many coupons anymore.  Our store brand products are very comparable in quality and way cheaper than the name brands with coupons.

Once was a day when I couponed a lot!  That was before the stores started carrying thier own brands.  I separated mine into groups.  For instance, canned goods.  Then, put the coupons for the same product together in order of expiration dates (Ones expiring the soonest on top).  I made weekly meal plans and made my grocery list from the plan.  Then, I looked through my coupons to see if aything on my list had a corresponding coupon.  If so, I'd take it out and clip it to my list and mark the item on the list with a 'c' to indicate that I had a coupon to use for it.

This way, I took only the coupons I was actually going to use with me to the store.  No sorting through 100s of coupons to get to what I needed.

Now, that was back in the day when coupons were worth more, too.  You didn't have to buy multiples to get a mere .25 off the item.  And, stores had double and triple coupon days during the month.  It is rare to find any store that does this anymore.

These days, I do use a few coupons.  But, not many.  My store has instore coupons on their items regularly.  I get the weekly ad in my email.  That way I can plan ahead of time.  I make my meal plan, my grocery list, mark the items I have a coupon for and mark things that I need to watch for an instore coupon.  This method isn't winning any extreme couponing awards.  LOL.  But, I do what works for my family.  I average about $35-$46 of savings per week.

shellybird
by Bronze Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 2:04 PM

I have a binder and baseball dividers and plain clear page dividers.  I only cut out the coupons that I KNOW I will use.  All the others I leave in the inserts, date the front of it and place it in my clear page dividers.

When it comes time to go grocery shopping, I plan this trip out 2-3 days in advice I sit down at the computer with my binder and the store flier and see first what is on sale.  Then I go to a trusted coupon database (I used midwestcouponclipper.net) and see if there is a coupon to match up with the sale.  This process can take as little as 1/2 hr.  I find that I know what I am looking for now more than I did a couple months ago so it goes rarely quickly. 

Then at the end of the month I will go through my binder and throw away coupons that have expired.  This is my Sunday lazy afternoon activity.

My suggestion is that you preplan your store trips.  Have a list of what you are buying, how many of that item and how much it will cost and what and how many coupons you have. 

An example of this list might look like

2-bottles of Hunts tomatoes (1 MQ) 1.00    8 boxes of Hamburger Helper (2 MQ)(1SQ) 3.50

Place ALL of you coupons in an envelop and have them ready.  Preplanning is the best way to get in and out of the store and even save you money in the long run. GL

iluvmypreemies
by on Jan. 21, 2014 at 10:53 PM

I have a filer that I use and when I get my insert I write the date on it. If there are coupons I know for sure I won't use (baby food, diapers or foods we don't like) I will clip those and offer them up to someone who can use them. I read the blogs, facebook pages and use certain sites for match ups. I was thinking of doing a spreadsheet with the coupons I have but not sure. The way I have it set up now the match ups tell me which insert the coupon is in so I can just pull that one and clip.

lillucky8
by Jen on Jan. 22, 2014 at 9:46 AM
I have a small accordian holder i found at target for $5, it holds plenty but is quickly getting overloaded since ive been more into it lately. I have envelopes for each store i frequent and make a list and take out the coupons for that list for when im planning a trip. Im not extreme by any means but a few $ savings each trip makes me happy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Angie_O
by Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 10:01 AM

I keep my coupons in a tote. I put the whole inserts in a hanging folder organized by the insert week. Then I use a blog TrueCouponing.com to decide what I will be guying on sale with coupons when I go. I go to that insert folder, pull out what I need and only clip it at that point. I used to cut all of them and use a binder, but it took me hours every week =( I find this method much better. 

If I need something else, I just go to the coupon search to see if there is a coupon for it :)

campingmomof4
by Bronze Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 12:51 PM

I keep mine in a container by month date.  So when I look for a coupon for a certain item.  I will find the one that expires first.  

katiebug840204
by Bronze Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 3:32 PM
I have a binder put into sections based on the type of coupons.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN