Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

Amazon Will Sell You Things Before You Know You Want to Buy Them (what do you think about this idea??)

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2014 at 5:08 PM
  • 21 Replies

Amazon Will Sell You Things Before You Know You Want to Buy Them

​The miles of aisles at an Amazon.com Fulfillment Center on "Cyber Monday" on the busiest online shopping day of the holiday season Monday, Dec. 2, 2013, in Phoenix.

Amazon is working a plan that would ship products to you before you even purchase them because Amazon knows what you want better than you do.

Amazon is considering a new phase in it quest for global commerce domination. They're working a plan that would ship products to you before you even purchase them because Amazon knows what you want better than you do.

That's general idea behind a new patent for "anticipatory shipping" discovered by The Verge that outlines a weird pre-cognition-like system that Amazon plans to implement to trim delivery times. Amazon will ship products to different areas of the country based on the shopping habits of the people who live there. The new system will use "previous searches and purchases, wish lists, and how long the user's cursor hovers over an item online," to determine where the products will go, The Verge explains.

This all means Amazon can put something on a truck and have it " speculatively shipped to a physical address," the patent says. Products that regularly sell in different areas are shipped to those areas more often, because they will sell. But sometimes, the patent goes on to explain, Amazon will ship products to your door  whether or not you actually purchased anything. Sometimes Amazon will ship something to a particular area, then find someone shopping for that product online and offer the product at a discounted rate. It's already there, so they have to sell it, right? In another scenario, Amazon is willing to risk that you won't be too upset when another slowcooker arrives at your doorstep — whether or not you actually purchased the slowcooker. The company hopes you'll return it, pay for it, or take the gift and come back for more business later.  "Delivering the package to the given customer as a promotional gift may be used to build goodwill," the patent says.

Amazon is now entering a new space in the shopping universe, where data takes the decision making out of everyone's hands. How Amazon plans to account for people who go shopping late at night when the last bottle of wine is empty and a $14 body bag seem like too good a deal to pass up is unclear. Now we may have to pay the price even if you're sober enough to not the press the "check-out" button.

Currently there's no plan to implement this system into Amazon's current set-up. But we can definitely see it happening and it's a little spooky how much Amazon wants to integrate itself into our lives. Predicting our purchases based on something as minute as how long our cursor hovers over a product is the kind of meta-data collection that people should maybe get upset over. When you also consider that Amazon wants to take over the Post Office on Sundays, use drones instead of trucks, the extent to which Amazon might someday control our lives should be something to think carefully about. Maybe we all need a little space between the hyper-intelligent Internet giant and our daily lives.

But we could also use new bathmats delivered to our apartments in ten minutes with the press of a button because we're too lazy to leave the house. That would be nice too.

——

by on Jan. 21, 2014 at 5:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LaughCryLive
by Bronze Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 9:04 PM
1 mom liked this

Ha. I would only be sending it back. I keep things in my basket for a long time.

momof3inTN
by on Jan. 21, 2014 at 9:54 PM

Um.. no thanks. I hope they're willing to pay for the return shipping cause I'm sure as heck not paying to return something I never ordered in the first place.

diaperstodating
by Queen24Princes on Jan. 21, 2014 at 9:56 PM
I agree with the previous posters.
aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Jan. 22, 2014 at 9:31 AM

i think they do and will if they ever roll this out...

Quoting momof3inTN:

Um.. no thanks. I hope they're willing to pay for the return shipping cause I'm sure as heck not paying to return something I never ordered in the first place.

Come check out  Serious Coupon Swappers for swapping, friendship and chat.
http://www.cafemom.com/group/seriouscouponswappers

karone04
by on Jan. 22, 2014 at 5:20 PM

They would have to pay thousands in return shipping from me. I have a ton of stuff in my family wishlist.

aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Jan. 23, 2014 at 11:18 AM

ha ha definitely..if they wanna be that forward then they will have to suck it up when ppl say no thanks and return it

Quoting karone04:

They would have to pay thousands in return shipping from me. I have a ton of stuff in my family wishlist.

aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Jan. 23, 2014 at 11:19 AM

interesting avatar...:P

Quoting karone04:

mich2.0
by on Jan. 23, 2014 at 11:44 AM

Quoting aneela:

i think they do and will if they ever roll this out...

Quoting momof3inTN:

They better friggin come pick it back up from my doorstep too. I'd be PISSED if I had to create a return label, go to the post office, etc. because they sent me something I didn't ask for.

aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Jan. 23, 2014 at 11:48 AM

they might still want a return label printed...or maybe they would send it out with the package? who knows...guess we shall see what they really do later on. i wouldnt want to go to the PO either...but i can order those flat rate boxes for  home delivery from USPS...and they will come pick up...you can schedule a pick up online...

Quoting mich2.0:

They better friggin come pick it back up from my doorstep too. I'd be PISSED if I had to create a return label, go to the post office, etc. because they sent me something I didn't ask for.

aj23
by Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 12:08 PM

It says they hope the people either pay for it, return it or accept the gift so they know some people will just keep what is sent and they can't charge them for it because they didn't order it.

Its a good idea in general. I order some of the same things on a regular basis so I'm sure it's geared towards someone who like me is fairly predictable and if they want to send me something that I can use and accept as a gift then I'm all for it. I spend enough money on there that they easily make enough profit to cover a $20-$50 item.
I don't really understand the need for faster shipping though. I get everything within 2 days 90% of the time anyways. There's 2 distribution centers within an hour and a half of me and the only way they are going to get it here faster is if they drop it off as soon as I click pay.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)