Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Publix.. UGH (coupon vent?)

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2014 at 6:14 PM
  • 24 Replies

I sent DF and his new buddy to Publix. I can't stand his 'friend'.. I mean I really can't stand him, so I figured they could have quality time togther running errands.

So.. theres a money maker deal at publix right now. 
If you buy 5 qualifying items and use a publix coupon, you get a 5$ gift card back.

Over 4 days and multiple trips (per the store imposed limit per day) DF bought FORTY of the wrong items.  I caught this about an hour ago, while he and his buddy are at one of the two Publix's in town, finishing this 'deal' up.

So it was supposed to be:

4 x item @ 1.44 each

1 y item 1.59 = 7.35 (plus tax) minus 4$ in coupons, so 3.35+ tax then get back a 5$ gift card.

He bought 4 x items at 2.83 each.. double the price

Its almost a 60$ difference (maybe more with tax) so hes going to have to go in and exchange them ALL for the right kind, which sounds pretty straight forward right? Get the right kind, since we already got the gift cards all they have to do is refund half the price and the tax difference, right?

NOPE. Apparently we are trying to SCAM the store to get money back. I get it, couponers buy crap and return it for cash (hoping for the coupon value in cash) all the time. We are there weekly, if not almost every day.. why would I do that?

So anyhoo hes at the other publix right now doing the last two transactions, which I caught in time. This store is 20 miles away on the other side of town.

He bought the right items, but instead of giving him a 5$ gift card they tried to take five dollars OFF the transaction.

Problem is, its a money maker and they wont give him cash back per corporate policy (fine by me!) BUT the tearpad coupon from the store says "Get  a 5$ gift card when you buy 5 particpating items" NOT "Get 5$ off your tranasction"

Hes texting me having a fit, I'm telling him to go return it, get the managers name and come home. I'll call corporate and get this straightened out before we load everything back to exchange it

I'm so frustrated. it makes perfect sense in my number driven mind and hes usually good with it.. he just doesnt get it or is pretending because of this friend.

I'm so frustrated! Between this, the friend, the treatment from the employees I'm ready to just quit! UGH

/endrant

(if you made it this far, I am sorry no one else understands coupon frustration!)

by on Jan. 21, 2014 at 6:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sem1234
by Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 6:19 PM
I sent dh ONCE to do something like that, with a very detailed list. NEVER AGAIN!! I feel your pain lol
thefiregoddess
by Optimus Prime on Jan. 21, 2014 at 6:32 PM

He was just on the phone going "this is insane, I'm about to return it all and NEVER AGAIN!" 

Never again will I send him alone to do this crap. If its not just a coupon and an item off the shelf I will go myself! 

The one store is saying they cant issue gift cards with such low amounts.. 5$ (I've put 1$ on it there before they are full of crap) and its funny because it worked the right way at the other store.

He still has to come back get all of the stuff and go try to exchange it!

I dont think he will step foot in a publix for another six months.. if ever!

AHhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

At least we can commiserate together lol

Quoting sem1234: I sent dh ONCE to do something like that, with a very detailed list. NEVER AGAIN!! I feel your pain lol

sem1234
by Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 6:41 PM
That's the worst! The store not knowing how to handle the return AND they think you're trying to scam them. Yeah, I get my kicks scamming grocery stores out of six bucks lol!

Quoting thefiregoddess:

He was just on the phone going "this is insane, I'm about to return it all and NEVER AGAIN!" 

Never again will I send him alone to do this crap. If its not just a coupon and an item off the shelf I will go myself! 

The one store is saying they cant issue gift cards with such low amounts.. 5$ (I've put 1$ on it there before they are full of crap) and its funny because it worked the right way at the other store.

AHhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Quoting sem1234: I sent dh ONCE to do something like that, with a very detailed list. NEVER AGAIN!! I feel your pain lol

thefiregoddess
by Optimus Prime on Jan. 21, 2014 at 6:44 PM

Right?!

I mean come on.. you know my  name.. my identity since its on my credit card I used to pay.. you KNOW me.. I REALLY want to scam  you out of a couple bucks! Ha!

I just called corporate and am waiting on a call back. I'm just so sad.. hes mad at me, I'm cranky at this whole thing.. sigh.

Dang it why does saving money have to be so frustrating!?

Quoting sem1234: That's the worst! The store not knowing how to handle the return AND they think you're trying to scam them. Yeah, I get my kicks scamming grocery stores out of six bucks lol!

Quoting thefiregoddess:

AHhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

sem1234
by Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 6:51 PM
I hope you can get it straightened out! And let that be a lesson to you......never send a man to do a ladies job, and don't scam the grocery store you shop at on a regular basis! (that was typed in my sarcasm font lol) :-)

Quoting thefiregoddess:

Right?!

I mean come on.. you know my  name.. my identity since its on my credit card I used to pay.. you KNOW me.. I REALLY want to scam  you out of a couple bucks! Ha!

I just called corporate and am waiting on a call back. I'm just so sad.. hes mad at me, I'm cranky at this whole thing.. sigh.

Dang it why does saving money have to be so frustrating!?

Quoting sem1234: That's the worst! The store not knowing how to handle the return AND they think you're trying to scam them. Yeah, I get my kicks scamming grocery stores out of six bucks lol!

Quoting thefiregoddess:

AHhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jan. 21, 2014 at 6:55 PM

how frustrating for both of you!

aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Jan. 21, 2014 at 6:55 PM

I cannot trust my husband to use ONE coupon on ONE item LOL...

he would have done the same mess like yours did this time

hopefully you can get it sorted out...sorry the store used the "S" word (scam) that is just ridic

Come check out  Serious Coupon Swappers for swapping, friendship and chat.
http://www.cafemom.com/group/seriouscouponswappers

thefiregoddess
by Optimus Prime on Jan. 21, 2014 at 7:10 PM

I've trained him. I write out transactions, put coupons in paperclipped little sections.. i even write down the size flavor where to find the item!

Oh man never again! I HATE going out now since I'm so big (I get a lot of mean comments) but forget this!

I over estimated his skills lol

We got lucky, the store about 4 miles from us (the one that does the gift card right) actually is WIPED of the right item and the one we need to exchange, so hes getting rain checks.. for 32 of them.

All we have to go is go in, buy 8 with the coupons we have left on the rainchecks and exchange the rest on the raincheck value. 

So frustrating but hey.. I get my money back, plenty of hand soap, for me & the shelter, toothpaste for the shelter (I use sensitive only) and spaghettios for df.. which are so gross lol

Next time I'll go too.. wheel chair or not. Screw that lol

Quoting aneela:

hopefully you can get it sorted out...sorry the store used the "S" word (scam) that is just ridic

aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Jan. 21, 2014 at 7:52 PM

well what a mess lol but sounds like you have it figured out and how to make it work in the end.

mine just doesn't understand so I don't ask him to lol..sometimes i miss deals and that's just fine...i get them on the next sale cycle...

Quoting thefiregoddess:

I've trained him.

sem1234
by Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 9:47 PM
I'm glad you got it straightened out! :-)

Quoting thefiregoddess:

I've trained him. I write out transactions, put coupons in paperclipped little sections.. i even write down the size flavor where to find the item!

Oh man never again! I HATE going out now since I'm so big (I get a lot of mean comments) but forget this!

I over estimated his skills lol

We got lucky, the store about 4 miles from us (the one that does the gift card right) actually is WIPED of the right item and the one we need to exchange, so hes getting rain checks.. for 32 of them.

All we have to go is go in, buy 8 with the coupons we have left on the rainchecks and exchange the rest on the raincheck value. 

So frustrating but hey.. I get my money back, plenty of hand soap, for me & the shelter, toothpaste for the shelter (I use sensitive only) and spaghettios for df.. which are so gross lol

Next time I'll go too.. wheel chair or not. Screw that lol

Quoting aneela:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)