Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

Woman Supports Family on $150 a Month by Doing 1 Simple Thing

Posted by on Jan. 22, 2014 at 9:31 AM
  • 37 Replies
1 mom liked this

Woman Supports Family on $150 a Month by Doing 1 Simple Thing (VIDEO)

by Mary Fischer

michelle reis

Whoa. How much would you say your average weekly grocery bill is? Mine is at least $100 to $200, which is why I'm absolutely blown away by a mom who supports her family of five on $150 per month -- all because she's so skilled at using coupons.

Michelle Reis is so savvy at extreme couponing that she spends two hours a day on clipping them in addition to her full-time job. Yep. Instead of zoning out, taking a snooze, or reading a book on her train commute to and from work, she clips and clips and clips in an effort to make sure she can spend as much time with her three kids as possible.

And she's so good at couponing, Michelle even recalls a time where she went to Walmart -- and the store owed her $215 at the end of her transaction. And over the past few years, she's saved over $45,000.

(Wow. Really? That's pretty cool.)

Take a look at this video to hear more of how Michelle makes each dollar count.

Sheesh. Is she committed to saving or what? If only all of us were as well versed in couponing as she is, our wallets certainly would be a lot more padded.

But even if we don't have a good two hours to spend each day on clipping coupons, we can at least put a few of Michelle's tips into action to try and save a buck or two here and there.

1. Don't forget about drug stores -- I, for one, never think about drug stores when it comes to coupons, but according to Michelle, that's where you'll find the best deals.
  2. Coupon matching is key -- Some stores, such as Walmart, will match coupons for other retailers, so you get more bang for your buck by shopping there.
  3. Devote a little time every day -- Again, two hours is a bit much for most of us. But even setting aside 10 to 15 minutes to clip while you're watching TV at night after the kids are in bed could wind up saving you a little cash.

Do you coupon? How often do you do it?

by on Jan. 22, 2014 at 9:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
thefiregoddess
by Optimus Prime on Jan. 22, 2014 at 9:41 AM
Every three to four weeks now. It's no longer worth it to fight over instock items (or wake up at 5 am to get first pick) fight with employees and managers over their own store policy (and they are usually wrong) or even to clip the coupons.

Being treated like crap to save some money is quickly becoming not worth it.

I.still do and don't mind the occasional coupon but after this experience yesterday I don't think ill be doing any large trips for a very long time.
aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Jan. 22, 2014 at 9:45 AM

i do not have the space to extreme coupon nor do i condone it if all you will do is let it collect dust. if this mom and others are actually using the items and she is using the coupons legally ...then i say go for it.

i use coupons on items i usually would get, if something will be free after and is on my want list or looks good to try...i will also get it.

i try to stock up on non food at the drug stores every 2 to 3 weeks (not weekly) when certain items are on sale and i have the right coupons

food items are hard when you do not want to only buy JUNK

but sometimes there are coupons for meats, organic and gluten free..just keep scanning online sites like coupons.com etc

aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Jan. 22, 2014 at 9:47 AM

LOL funny you say that....i know at some of the drug stores that are 24 hour...the extremers just go in at night and fill their carts and once they change over the new prices for the registers...they go ring out...

i know some CVS stores do the change over mid evening on SAT...so the shelf is wiped out long before SUN morning...

Quoting thefiregoddess:  It's no longer worth it to fight over instock items (or wake up at 5 am to get first pick) fight with employees and managers over their own store policy (and they are usually wrong) or even to clip the coupons.
Angie_O
by Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 9:50 AM

I coupon. I like to have a decent amount in the house so that I don't HAVE to go to the store weekly. We only buy stuff that we will use. I also try to do a weekly menu and stick to it. Saves money that way too. Then whatever is left of the budget, I will buy some extra stuff.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jan. 22, 2014 at 9:51 AM
4 moms liked this

Clarification:  She FEEDS her family of 5 (3 smaller children) on $150 a month.

I use coupons but I don't go out of my way to spend 2 hours a day.  Why? because we don't eat many of the things for which coupons are available.  We don't have decent stores that double or triple coupons, and buying name brand with a coupon is still more expensive than buying store brand. 

The coupons I do use are the $5 off $25 or $30 purchase at Dollar General.  our local store lets me make multiple sales if I have multiple coupons (and I got 3 this morning.)  If I don't need all of the coupons, I pass them along to other customers.

thefiregoddess
by Optimus Prime on Jan. 22, 2014 at 9:52 AM
I tried that once at Walgreens at 1 am. The register hadn't reset. never again lol

Quoting aneela:

LOL funny you say that....i know at some of the drug stores that are 24 hour...the extremers just go in at night and fill their carts and once they change over the new prices for the registers...they go ring out...

i know some CVS stores do the change over mid evening on SAT...so the shelf is wiped out long before SUN morning...

Quoting thefiregoddess:  It's no longer worth it to fight over instock items (or wake up at 5 am to get first pick) fight with employees and managers over their own store policy (and they are usually wrong) or even to clip the coupons.

thefiregoddess
by Optimus Prime on Jan. 22, 2014 at 9:54 AM
You need to post about dollar General when you go! Man I have one within a block and I never go cause I don't know what to do!

And you're right she feeds her family on that much. I think you mentioned you don't spend much more than that and you eat way better than most!

Quoting michiganmom116:

I use coupons but I don't go out of my way to spend 2 hours a day.  Why? because we don't eat many of the things for which coupons are available.  We don't have decent stores that double or triple coupons, and buying name brand with a coupon is still more expensive than buying store brand. 

The coupons I do use are the $5 off $25 or $30 purchase at Dollar General.  our local store lets me make multiple sales if I have multiple coupons (and I got 3 this morning.)  If I don't need all of the coupons, I pass them along to other customers.

aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Jan. 22, 2014 at 9:56 AM

LOL well yeah if it hasnt been activated then it's a mess...

i never tried...lol...little too much for me. if when I go they are out...i get a raincheck. i dont get bothered anymore unless the coupon is gonna expire like very very soon. in that case i do get annoyed lol. but usually the coupon will come back at some later sale cycle.

Quoting thefiregoddess: I tried that once at Walgreens at 1 am. The register hadn't reset. never again lol

aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Jan. 22, 2014 at 9:59 AM

isnt DG one where they only take the $5/25 off AFTER all other manu coupons? that makes it kinda tough to get a really good deal there. but if you can use it on items that never have coupons..then that helps.

Quoting thefiregoddess: dollar General  Man I have one within a block and I never go cause I don't know what to do!
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jan. 22, 2014 at 10:00 AM
1 mom liked this

Dollar General this morning:  I bought vitamin C tabs for DD for $4, then saw their Christmas stuff is 25ยข EACH.  Bought 4 bags of decorations, boxed cards, gift boxes for $4.51 (tax included).  Then one of the cashiers had a cold and kept sniffling, so I bought her a box of tissues ($1.06).  Three different purchases and I got three different $5 off $25 purchase coupons.  If I use them all, then I MADE money this morning.

We do eat very well (3 adults, 3 teens, so basically 6 adult appetites) and I've spent under $150 a month average on food for the past 3 months. 

Quoting thefiregoddess: You need to post about dollar General when you go! Man I have one within a block and I never go cause I don't know what to do!

And you're right she feeds her family on that much. I think you mentioned you don't spend much more than that and you eat way better than most!

Quoting michiganmom116:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN