Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

Unexpected bill....need advice on saving money in the grocery store

Posted by on Jan. 23, 2014 at 5:30 AM
  • 36 Replies

We had an unexpected bill pop up ($200 YIKES!) and it has to be paid out of our very next paycheck. We are already skimping where we can. It looks like I'm going to have to take the money out of my grocery allotment. I've scoured the net and got some pretty inexpensive meal ideas, but I need more. Hubby doesnt do many vegetables. I know now isnt the time to be picky. I'm just letting you know so you can offer me some workable advice ;) he will eat potoates and green beans, oh and corn. I dont think I'm going to be able to afford much meat. Heck I can barely afford it without this unexpected bill coming up. I also need some affordable snacks to buy. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

by on Jan. 23, 2014 at 5:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jan. 23, 2014 at 6:22 AM

How much do you have to spend?  How many weeks will you have to buy for?  What do you already have on hand that you could use?

mybratsmom
by Silver Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 6:29 AM
2 moms liked this
Don't buy snacks - make them!! I agree with ^ ^ - we need some more info. And a list of what you already have is super great!!!
campingmomof4
by Bronze Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 6:43 AM

Try to make meals with what you already have in your cabinets and freezer before you go grocery shopping.  Make your snacks instead of buying them.  

How many meals do you need to make and how many people are you feeding?  Do you do 3 meals a day?

wyattmama78
by on Jan. 23, 2014 at 6:59 AM

hi, ladies. I am feeding two adults and one child, age 10. What I have on hand is enough to last thru the end of next week. But after that, its bare bones. I hardly have any meat. i do have fruits for my smoothies. I have canned soups, pastas, a big can of tomato sauce, lots of flour, sugar, potatoes, rice. I need some ideas for the first two weeks in february. I've got homemade pizza, breakfast for dinner. I have cheddar and mozzarella cheeses in the freezer. I've got frozen pizza sauce. I have several dozen eggs. We've had it kinda rough since november. Chad's hours got cut. All of our bills get paid, but once theyre paid it leaves little else for food. Like alot of you, we have too many dang bills. I'm trying really hard to get rid of the payments, debt. And I have cut alot of it out. I guess I'm really needing meatless dinners.  As for the snacks, I make brownies, cakes, cupcakes and puddings all from scratch. But sometimes they like hotpockets or microwavable pizzas. I am absolutely not going to be able to buy those for them. :( So if you have any recipes for stuff like that that I can freeze and they can pop in the micro when they want, that would help. I'm sorry to be so vague. I'm just being honest with what I have. And that istn very much.

wyattmama78
by on Jan. 23, 2014 at 7:00 AM

Mainly just dinner. For breakfast, we'll have oatmeal or muffins for them, smoothies for me. And lunch is already covered.

wyattmama78
by on Jan. 23, 2014 at 7:00 AM

Oh and to spend I have about 55 dollars.

wyattmama78
by on Jan. 23, 2014 at 7:01 AM

We drink water and on occasion kool aid. So the drinks are covered.

mybratsmom
by Silver Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 7:27 AM
2 moms liked this
Do a pizza dough - make the "crust" about a 6" circle, add your sauce, some cheese, fold over and bake. My 9 yo son loves those hot pockets but on a budget we can't get them.
I think you could probably take $20 of your $55 and buy enough meat to stretch - a bag of frozen chicken breasts, 5 lbs of ground beef, and maybe a bag of tilapia filets. Depending on your local prices. Might want to price that out. Quesadillas, biscuits and gravy, breakfast burritos...egg scrambles (I put mine in muffin tins and bake while getting ready). Twice baked potatoes, lots of casseroles - you could do your soups over the noodles or rice. Make bread bowls, add your soups - bruschetta? (You can used canned tomatoes if you have them.). Making me hungry and it's only 430 am here...
daryahna
by Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 7:40 AM
2 moms liked this
Hi i save over $800 per month now. I can share with you some of the things I do if you like. Im just not going to post it here because I have learned that people assume slot and are very judgemental on cafe mom so you can pm me if you like. Sorry To hear that you are going through such a rough patch. It will get better.
momrocks2000
by Bronze Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 8:17 AM
1 mom liked this

You can PM me too.  I am on a tight budget, and I've been exactly where you are now.  It is manageable. 

O.P. ---  I'll offer you tons of suggestions, that are good ideas, just don't want to annouce it to all, and get slammed.  I definitely got a lot going on in my life, and I can not deal with negativity.  I want positive people surrounding my being.  I can help ya a little.  I am not much of a cook, but I can sure stretch a dollar.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)