Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

Are warehouse/bulk stores really worth it?

Posted by   + Show Post

We don't eat boxed food and don't buy many OTC meds either, so is getting a Sams Club membership worth it? Costco isn't an option, I wish it was. Do they have any organic foods at Sams? Would it be worth it to shop there for tp and paper towels, meat, and produce, vs. just going to Aldi?

by on Jan. 23, 2014 at 9:40 AM
Replies (11-15):
awesomemommy2
by on Jan. 23, 2014 at 11:04 AM
The whole chickens are cheaper but so much waste. It may only be .79/lb but you are paying for skin, bone and dark meat which none of us eat. I always find pork cheapest at the food store and never buy enough beef that it makes a difference. I know that the soy and almond milks are cheaper at Costco. My friend buys those and swears by it but not sure what the dollar savings is.

Quoting mich2.0:

Quoting awesomemommy2: Our aldi doesn't sell 1% and milk is 50 (or more) cents cheaper at Costco. I buy a 10lb bag of chicken breasts there for $21 which is $2.10/lb and you can occasionally get a bit cheaper at the food stores but the quality of the ones at Costco and unsurpassed. Nothing to trim and since they are frozen you can take out exactly what you need so no waste.

Quoting mich2.0:

Quoting awesomemommy2: I shop Costco. Milk, eggs, butter, flour, sugar, butter. The meats are so much better quality than Aldis. I make my membership back in 6 months on milk alone.

I don't buy meat from Aldi since I can get it on sale elsewhere for less. I buy produce, greek yogurt, and milk from there.

I don't buy cow's milk so I'm not sure what ours has. I buy almond and soy. Most of the time I just buy soy from Aldi because it's super cheap and organic, so no GMO or pesticides, etc. Almond I can get cheaper at Kroger with coupons. I don't buy chicken breasts. I refuse to pay more than $2/lb for poultry or pork so I usually end up buying whole turkies, pork loin on sale, and occasionally I'll buy beef but only on steep discount.

mich2.0
by Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 11:09 AM

Quoting awesomemommy2: The whole chickens are cheaper but so much waste. It may only be .79/lb but you are paying for skin, bone and dark meat which none of us eat. I always find pork cheapest at the food store and never buy enough beef that it makes a difference. I know that the soy and almond milks are cheaper at Costco. My friend buys those and swears by it but not sure what the dollar savings is.

Quoting mich2.0:

Quoting awesomemommy2: Our aldi doesn't sell 1% and milk is 50 (or more) cents cheaper at Costco. I buy a 10lb bag of chicken breasts there for $21 which is $2.10/lb and you can occasionally get a bit cheaper at the food stores but the quality of the ones at Costco and unsurpassed. Nothing to trim and since they are frozen you can take out exactly what you need so no waste.

Quoting mich2.0:

Quoting awesomemommy2: I shop Costco. Milk, eggs, butter, flour, sugar, butter. The meats are so much better quality than Aldis. I make my membership back in 6 months on milk alone.

I don't buy meat from Aldi since I can get it on sale elsewhere for less. I buy produce, greek yogurt, and milk from there.

I don't buy cow's milk so I'm not sure what ours has. I buy almond and soy. Most of the time I just buy soy from Aldi because it's super cheap and organic, so no GMO or pesticides, etc. Almond I can get cheaper at Kroger with coupons. I don't buy chicken breasts. I refuse to pay more than $2/lb for poultry or pork so I usually end up buying whole turkies, pork loin on sale, and occasionally I'll buy beef but only on steep discount.

I don't waste any of it. The bones are used to make broth for soup, the skin stays on to keep the meat from being too dry, and none of us mind dark meat.

aj23
by Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 11:11 AM
Its worth it for me. I have to drive an hour to Sams Club but I take my niece with me and she stocks up on diapers and wipes (she has a 2 month old) and I get a lot off snacks, fresh foods and drinks there. I also buy large packages of plates, napkins and things like that that I donate to my sons school. I also buy a lot of office supplies there. I also got a lot of Christmas gifts there this past year.
If you can, find someone to split the cost with you. You can get two membership cards so you will each get one and won't have to do together except for the first time.
mich2.0
by Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 11:25 AM

Quoting aj23: Its worth it for me. I have to drive an hour to Sams Club but I take my niece with me and she stocks up on diapers and wipes (she has a 2 month old) and I get a lot off snacks, fresh foods and drinks there. I also buy large packages of plates, napkins and things like that that I donate to my sons school. I also buy a lot of office supplies there. I also got a lot of Christmas gifts there this past year.
If you can, find someone to split the cost with you. You can get two membership cards so you will each get one and won't have to do together except for the first time.

Will they let you share a membership or do you have to do it on the down low?

aj23
by Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 11:35 AM

Quoting mich2.0:

Quoting aj23: Its worth it for me. I have to drive an hour to Sams Club but I take my niece with me and she stocks up on diapers and wipes (she has a 2 month old) and I get a lot off snacks, fresh foods and drinks there. I also buy large packages of plates, napkins and things like that that I donate to my sons school. I also buy a lot of office supplies there. I also got a lot of Christmas gifts there this past year.

Will they let you share a membership or do you have to do it on the down low?

The terms say 'The household card is for the primary cardholder's spouse, domestic partner or household member living in the same household who is 18 years of age or older.'
Technically it has to be on the down low but they don't check. As long as you use one primary address they aren't going to question if the other person lives with you or if they are a spouse or anything like that.

They used to require the person whose picture was on the card to be present to use the card but they don't anymore. My card has my picture and my moms has hers but my sister and nieces borrow our cards all the time and go alone.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)