Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

School Vent

Posted by on Jan. 23, 2014 at 2:37 PM
  • 65 Replies

My oldest is a Junior in High School and attends a public school, last night I got an email reminding me of my required 35 hours of volunteer time. Ugh, I always ignore it but wonder why they think it should be required to volunteer. Back when I would volunteer it was because I wanted to, not because I was required to. Plus I just don't have any extra time to give. As is I am going to be cutting back a LOT of stuff soon so that I can enjoy life more and not be always stressed with deadlines. 

Anyone else experiencing extra work load from the schools to parents?

by on Jan. 23, 2014 at 2:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
savingtheworld
by Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 4:56 PM
I have six kids, an I know about dead lines.. Or getting children in the places they need to be! An I know how I feel when I should be putting extra strength in to their activities but can't muster up the ability.. But, like you said, cutting back! I have cut back!! Even though I'm a yes man kinda person! I have learned to say no or just avoid it all together! So I'm not sure if its the right answer.. But I say enjoy life more:)
jslpruitt
by Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 4:59 PM

I was only required when I was in PALs, but they considered me being a staffer at a church camp as volunteer time so that was good.

what does he enjoy doing, maybe he can find some in that field so it wont be so bad

CometGirl
by Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 5:03 PM
1 mom liked this

That wouldn't fly with me.  I volunteer for the organizations that I select during the time that fits my schedule.  What is the consequence if you don't volunteer at your son's public school?

thefiregoddess
by Optimus Prime on Jan. 23, 2014 at 5:06 PM
Uh I'm not required to do crap.

I'd tell them to suck an egg.

You are required to provide for your children and pay your taxes.

Not much else.
aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Jan. 23, 2014 at 5:28 PM
1 mom liked this

that is really strange

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jan. 23, 2014 at 5:33 PM
2 moms liked this

I homeschool, so the whole load falls on me anyway.

DawnPratt23
by Dawn on Jan. 23, 2014 at 5:44 PM

I'm usually a yes person to and recently have been saying no to more things. This email really was unsettling for me, I know it was said at the beginning of the year and I told them then that I didn't see how they could require it. I don't have any extra time to give and am so annoyed that volunteer time would be required. 

This is the email, I also received an automated message on my phone half an hour ago. 

Dear parents,We are looking for some volunteers to assist with our 10th annual GALA celebration.  If you are wondering how you can fulfill your 35 hours of volunteerism, then this is the perfect opportunity for you.  We will be having a GALA committee meeting next Tuesday, January 28 at 5:30 pm. in the board room.  

Quoting savingtheworld: I have six kids, an I know about dead lines.. Or getting children in the places they need to be! An I know how I feel when I should be putting extra strength in to their activities but can't muster up the ability.. But, like you said, cutting back! I have cut back!! Even though I'm a yes man kinda person! I have learned to say no or just avoid it all together! So I'm not sure if its the right answer.. But I say enjoy life more:)

DawnPratt23
by Dawn on Jan. 23, 2014 at 5:46 PM

my son volunteers a lot and has to attend the Gala, this is parent volunteerism that is required, which is bull-If I want to volunteer it will be my decision not something told to me to do. That isn't volunteering at that point. 

Quoting jslpruitt:

I was only required when I was in PALs, but they considered me being a staffer at a church camp as volunteer time so that was good.

what does he enjoy doing, maybe he can find some in that field so it wont be so bad

DawnPratt23
by Dawn on Jan. 23, 2014 at 5:48 PM

I'm the same way about volunteering. I am not sure what the consequence will be. I normally just ignore them and do what is needed. I attend the meetings and talk to the teachers regularly so I am not sure what else they would want. They never have pushed it this hard in the past. 

Quoting CometGirl:

That wouldn't fly with me.  I volunteer for the organizations that I select during the time that fits my schedule.  What is the consequence if you don't volunteer at your son's public school?

DawnPratt23
by Dawn on Jan. 23, 2014 at 5:50 PM

I'm about to tell them that, I provide for my kids, work from home, take care of my home and any free time I get will be of my choosing. Right now spending time with family and extended family is the most important things to me. 

Quoting thefiregoddess: Uh I'm not required to do crap.

I'd tell them to suck an egg.

You are required to provide for your children and pay your taxes.

Not much else.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)