Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do you make ends meet when bad weather becomes an obstacle?

Posted by on Jan. 28, 2014 at 2:25 PM
  • 81 Replies

With the "Great Snowstorm of '14" looming on the horizon, we're looking at schools being out and roads being closed. We both have full tanks of gas and we have lots of groceries and things on hand, so we're going to be okay, I think. My sister, however, living 2hrs north and in the trajectory of the heaviest snow predictions for the state, isn't sure how they'll manage since road closings mean her husband can't get to work so he won't get paid for that day.

It made me think, how do you manage when bad weather means the kids are home and you and/or your husband/SO can't go to work, either? You have the extra expense of them being home to eat more during the day and the loss of income from not getting to work.

If you haven't had to deal with this yet, what do you think you'd do? Do you think you'd come out okay?

by on Jan. 28, 2014 at 2:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KME3
by Member on Jan. 28, 2014 at 2:26 PM
bump
momrocks2000
by Bronze Member on Jan. 28, 2014 at 2:32 PM

I'm living it out right now.  Have not left my house, since, huh...Friday of last week!  I'm getting low on items. Not going to worry about it.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jan. 28, 2014 at 2:32 PM
2 moms liked this

We have a savings account to help cover lost wages.

My kids are homeschooled so we'd only have one more mouth to feed if DH can't get to work.  He takes dinner leftovers to work for lunch, so he usually eats those when he's home, too.

mybratsmom
by Silver Member on Jan. 28, 2014 at 2:42 PM
1 mom liked this

We have an emergency fund to cover us for a bit if something happens and we can't work.  We also keep a pretty well stocked pantry and fridge.  My main concern would be losing power because we don't have a fireplace and would probably have some issues with heating if we lost our generator.

GrandmaSherry
by Gold Member on Jan. 28, 2014 at 4:34 PM

My hubby is salaried so that helps.  He's generally on call 24/7 no matter what though.  We eat all of our meals at home so it won't add to much stress there....and other than fruits, fresh veggies, we should be ok for several days without any grocery store visits.  We shop once a week anyway but keep staples stocked up in case we have a week when money gets tight.

If we lost power, things would get tougher...but we have a wood stove. And Mimi would have to break out her camp-style cooking skills!  LOL

elizabooks
by Member on Jan. 28, 2014 at 4:41 PM
1 mom liked this

Money would be tight, but it is not like all we would do is sit home and eat. We have things to be painted, walls to be fixed, things to be baked. All can be done with or without power. We have candles and lanterns and books to read while under blankets and towels. Heck we even have a pavillion we can set up in the back yard and start a fire to cook on if needed.  The loss of inclome would be problamatic after a few weeks, but we can weather that as it comes.

maggie268
by New Member on Jan. 28, 2014 at 5:06 PM
1 mom liked this

Living it right now... Ds & I are home because of the freezing rain & icy road conditions. His school is closed & the company I work for also closed. I keep the pantry & freezer stocked up & since its just the 2 of there's always something to eat. I also have savings for the unexpected. But my employer will still pay us for the days missed. 

LaughCryLive
by Bronze Member on Jan. 28, 2014 at 5:09 PM

as long as we have electricity i'll be ok. it might be tight becasue 1 shift is 12hours not just 8 but i don't have a lot of bills.

Lindalou907
by Bronze Member on Jan. 28, 2014 at 5:10 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't know, but I just read an article about how the polar vortex is costing people so much more in heating bills that some people have to choose whether to eat decently or stay warm. And there was recently a cut in food stamp benefits.Kind of a perfect storm for some folks.

MooreBoysMama
by Member on Jan. 28, 2014 at 5:30 PM
We are living this right now. DH has missed a lot of work. We have food so that is not too much of a problem. As for bills we just shifted some things around. It should all even out in a couple of weeks.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)