Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

How do you make ends meet when bad weather becomes an obstacle?

Posted by   + Show Post

With the "Great Snowstorm of '14" looming on the horizon, we're looking at schools being out and roads being closed. We both have full tanks of gas and we have lots of groceries and things on hand, so we're going to be okay, I think. My sister, however, living 2hrs north and in the trajectory of the heaviest snow predictions for the state, isn't sure how they'll manage since road closings mean her husband can't get to work so he won't get paid for that day.

It made me think, how do you manage when bad weather means the kids are home and you and/or your husband/SO can't go to work, either? You have the extra expense of them being home to eat more during the day and the loss of income from not getting to work.

If you haven't had to deal with this yet, what do you think you'd do? Do you think you'd come out okay?

by on Jan. 28, 2014 at 2:25 PM
Replies (11-20):
DawnPratt23
by Dawn on Jan. 28, 2014 at 5:41 PM
We do this to. However for the next 19 months my hubby will have an income at least.

Quoting michiganmom116:

We have a savings account to help cover lost wages.

My kids are homeschooled so we'd only have one more mouth to feed if DH can't get to work.  He takes dinner leftovers to work for lunch, so he usually eats those when he's home, too.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RonaH
by Bronze Member on Jan. 28, 2014 at 7:56 PM
Honestly when we had hurricaines several years ago and my job was not yet salaried. I suffered all my food went bad and I couldn't afford to replace it. I didnt have enough for bills because of lack of work and I was a hot mess. I decided then to at least set some gift cards aside for lean times and try to at least build a meager emergency fund. I feel bad for people living close to the edge right now in bad weather locations.
Stacie03
by Silver Member on Jan. 28, 2014 at 8:18 PM

DD is going on her 3rd day this week of no school.  She doesn't cost anything more food wise being home or not as I send her to school with lunch.  DF will go (try to go) to work no matter the road conditions.  We live on a busy road which is one of the first plowed and then he takes a US hwy so that is usually kept pretty clear.  His being able to go to work in this nasty weather has actually worked in our favor as he has been asked to stay and work a double shift, and his work payed for a hotel room for the night.  If it weren't for the furnace running so much we'd actually be making money this winter because of the road conditions.

MommytoAbigail
by Member on Jan. 28, 2014 at 10:25 PM

In Ny we are used to crappy weather, nothing shuts down but maybe school.  We did have a blizzard and business closed, my work closed but we were still paid, since it was not our fault we couldn't work.  I would think most places would be like that, or could you use a sick day to get paid?

chicken13
by Silver Member on Jan. 29, 2014 at 9:17 AM

I'm in NH.  Snow happens.  They rarely cancel school.  And dh is salaried.

Since dh travels a ton for work, we are subject to everyone's weather.  Bad weather means his trips are longer, airports are closed, etc etc. which sucks...but doesn't end up costing us anymore.

mjimaging
by on Jan. 29, 2014 at 10:11 AM
We have sick time for lost wages. We have two weeks of food usually. Unless it happened right before a shopping weekend. But we are close enough that we could walk to the grocery store if need be. We have a grill that we could cook with in the event of lost power but heat would be an issue.
RosePetalTears
by Silver Member on Jan. 29, 2014 at 10:19 AM

dh does alot of weather dependant work, so i stock the pantry/freezer/fridge as much as I can before the slow season hits and then if it came down to it, i would only have to get milk and the occasional fresh produce...that could go on for a few months.   We pay off credit cards monthly and don't have a ton of other bills so i would use the money i set aside for that.

ambermario4ever
by on Jan. 29, 2014 at 10:43 AM

well we dont live somewhere it snows. but hubby could take a sick,personal , or vacation day so he would still get paid just would not get any over time. 

specialwingz
by Corey on Jan. 29, 2014 at 10:53 AM

Although my kids are now grown, I've been there a couple of times throughout the years.  Living in MN when the kids were growing up, we really didn't have bat a small handful of snow days.  And, only 1 shut down the Twin Cities.  And, it took 3" of snowfall in 8 hours to do that.  The only reason being that there was just more snow than the road crews could handle and it was coming down faster than they could move it.

Here in TX, we had only 1 really bad ice storm while the boys were still in high school.  This was about 8 years ago.  That storm was the 1st of the 4 we have now experience here since moving here 9 years ago.

As for making the budget...well, I had a tough time with any kind of budget.  My ex-h didn't believe in any such thing.  I spent 2 1/2 decades with a man who simply ran out and did a cash job if the monthly income didn't meet the bills.  Yeah, there are a LOT of reasons he's an ex.  And, his money issues were the very least of it.  =/  But, I always got the bills paid.  And, I worked my butt off to do it.  However, I always had sick time, vacation time or personal time to use for any type of unexpected time off.

Thankfully, he is in the past.  Presently, new DH and I are on the same page financially and pretty much everything else as well.  We are in a position where bad weather days don't impact us.

What I don't get is moms on here say their kids cost more when they are home.  Whether it be for a snow day or for the summer.  Don't the kids have to eat whether they are at home or away from home during the day?  You either have to pack them a lunch or pay for the meal the school provides.  So, I really don't see how them being home impacts the budget.  My kids never ravaged the pantry when they were home.  They got fed at meal times and appropriate snacks throughout the day.No differently than had they been at school.  Except we had more fun that day.  LOL.

I'm not knocking anyone down, here.  Not my style. It's just that I am legitimately not understanding this way of thinking.  Don't you have to pay for your child to eat regardless of whether they are at home or at school?

Mrs.Kubalabuku
by Member on Jan. 29, 2014 at 10:55 AM

I haven't had to deal with it as DH gets a salary, but I do have a savings account.  Anything unexpected like this would be covered by tapping into savings if for some reason our normal budget couldn't stretch over it.

If people could just put $50 away each month, it would probably cover one or two situations like this per year.

Another thing DH and I do is stock up on staples.  I have flour, dry beans, rice, meat in the chest freezer, recently learned you can freeze milk, etc.  We save up on these basic items to toss together meals when the weather is awful.  Summer or winter, because honestly we have more horrible days in summer heat here.  I also recently invested in a pot for the fireplace as well as some gas burners (safe to use in our garage) we could use if the power went out.  After living through a few disasters of my own, I'm pretty savvy about how to prep for small time emergencies.

I guess the added question is:

If they are so tight her DH missing a day or two, and schools being closed a day or two, is going to put them under, what do they do when DH is sick, or school holidays?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)