Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do you make ends meet when bad weather becomes an obstacle?

Posted by   + Show Post

With the "Great Snowstorm of '14" looming on the horizon, we're looking at schools being out and roads being closed. We both have full tanks of gas and we have lots of groceries and things on hand, so we're going to be okay, I think. My sister, however, living 2hrs north and in the trajectory of the heaviest snow predictions for the state, isn't sure how they'll manage since road closings mean her husband can't get to work so he won't get paid for that day.

It made me think, how do you manage when bad weather means the kids are home and you and/or your husband/SO can't go to work, either? You have the extra expense of them being home to eat more during the day and the loss of income from not getting to work.

If you haven't had to deal with this yet, what do you think you'd do? Do you think you'd come out okay?

by on Jan. 28, 2014 at 2:25 PM
Replies (21-30):
brenda_joyce
by New Member on Jan. 29, 2014 at 10:57 AM
Happened jus last week to us. Roads iced over our SUV slid sideways off the road into a ditch (scared me to death our car tipped). 3 days no pay. 5 days in the house. (Weekends off) Sucked!

I will admit we did not prepare well. Our two big dogs ran out of food. Street iced over so we shared our food with them. Had everything my DD needed though. Stocked up on milk, diapers ect.

Now trying get everything back in order, bills caught up ect.
specialwingz
by Corey on Jan. 29, 2014 at 11:01 AM
1 mom liked this

It is rare for a company to pay you for a bad weather day.  You are very lucky!  Most don't do that.  They don't see it as their fault either and one is forced to use a vacation day or personal day if they want to be paid for the day.  Many companies won't allow a sick day to be used as it isn't for an actual illness.  Sucks, yes.  But, it's how it is.

Quoting MommytoAbigail:

In Ny we are used to crappy weather, nothing shuts down but maybe school.  We did have a blizzard and business closed, my work closed but we were still paid, since it was not our fault we couldn't work.  I would think most places would be like that, or could you use a sick day to get paid?

saqmdbsl07
by New Member on Jan. 29, 2014 at 11:03 AM
My dh luckily can work from home. He works 45 minutes away and if the weather gets too bad he can still log into his company and do all of the work on his laptop at home! We also have savings we could use, if needed.
luvmygirls59
by on Jan. 29, 2014 at 11:07 AM
DH didnt work last Fri or yesterday, so this will be a small check :/ we've got it covered though.
dalbax2
by Bronze Member on Jan. 29, 2014 at 11:14 AM

Most people dont get paid anyways if there is no work unless they are on salary.  Its really no different, IMO, than losing a day from work due to being sick.  Might mean cutting back a bit until you get straightened around.  I would be worried if it was longer than a couple of days.

cowgirls10181
by Member on Jan. 29, 2014 at 11:17 AM

We havent had it bad enough that he cant get to work. Thankfully! We try to keep vacation days for just in case then use them in the spring for family trips if they werent needed over winter! 

When we don't have the vacation days we just "deal" with the outcome of the check usually the blow is taken by all the bills (not paying 100% of each bill) or if its bad enough we lose a whole week we suspend something for a month to absorb the cost of the days off. 

rebeccasmommy09
by on Jan. 29, 2014 at 11:21 AM
Dh is on salary and I work from home so we're in good shape.
MinglingMom
by New Member on Jan. 29, 2014 at 11:54 AM

We have emergency savings but I am also a salaried employee which is very beneficial. DH travels for work and most travel days are considered work days in his line of work so even if he has a delayed flight or something, he still gets paid.

jbyrd898
by Member on Jan. 29, 2014 at 11:56 AM

fortunately my hubby has a lot of leave time and the ability to work some hours from home; not his whole shift but like half of it. This along with his current four weeks of time off available would make things tolerable $$ wise. I have a part time job I work from home too. We just might drive each other crazy though, we usually have enough foood in the house for  a few weeks. 

MissyB1011
by Silver Member on Jan. 29, 2014 at 12:13 PM

We have food stocked up, so I will just have to get the basic milk and bread before the weather hits.

I work at a school, so I don't work if they cancel. My income isn't critical to our budget, so it's ok. My DH has 5 weeks of vacation accumulated, so he can use those for any days he might miss. He's been with his company for 24 years. They have only told him to stay home maybe 5 times. He does heating and air conditioning, so he is in high demand right now.

We also have money in savings, so missing a little work wouldn't mess us up.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)