Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

How do you make ends meet when bad weather becomes an obstacle?

Posted by   + Show Post

With the "Great Snowstorm of '14" looming on the horizon, we're looking at schools being out and roads being closed. We both have full tanks of gas and we have lots of groceries and things on hand, so we're going to be okay, I think. My sister, however, living 2hrs north and in the trajectory of the heaviest snow predictions for the state, isn't sure how they'll manage since road closings mean her husband can't get to work so he won't get paid for that day.

It made me think, how do you manage when bad weather means the kids are home and you and/or your husband/SO can't go to work, either? You have the extra expense of them being home to eat more during the day and the loss of income from not getting to work.

If you haven't had to deal with this yet, what do you think you'd do? Do you think you'd come out okay?

by on Jan. 28, 2014 at 2:25 PM
Replies (31-40):
MommytoAbigail
by Member on Jan. 29, 2014 at 3:42 PM

I think most jobs up here that are full time will pay you....maybe because we aren't wisp and have to drive through snow and ice all winter, and things only close when it's very very bad much worse than you will ever see in the south.

Quoting specialwingz:

It is rare for a company to pay you for a bad weather day.  You are very lucky!  Most don't do that.  They don't see it as their fault either and one is forced to use a vacation day or personal day if they want to be paid for the day.  Many companies won't allow a sick day to be used as it isn't for an actual illness.  Sucks, yes.  But, it's how it is.

Quoting MommytoAbigail:

In Ny we are used to crappy weather, nothing shuts down but maybe school.  We did have a blizzard and business closed, my work closed but we were still paid, since it was not our fault we couldn't work.  I would think most places would be like that, or could you use a sick day to get paid?

pixiemg1
by Bronze Member on Jan. 29, 2014 at 4:20 PM

We manage fine.  My husband is a SAHD so that is covered and I trudge to work.  We did get hit with a big snowstorm on the 5th of this month.  My boss closed the office that Monday but I still got paid.  If he wouldn't of paid us I would have used sick/vacation time.  Also, I can work from home if I have to so that is another plus.

la_bella_vita
by Bronze Member on Jan. 29, 2014 at 5:12 PM

It's not an issue here. I'm thankful we don't have to worry about our electric bill. It also helps having a fireplace and we have wonderful windows and doors that keep the cold out.

iamcafemom83
by Bronze Member on Jan. 29, 2014 at 5:23 PM
He would just use PTO, plus we have savings.
diaperstodating
by Queen24Princes on Jan. 29, 2014 at 5:24 PM
I am living this right now. I am a single mother and have four mouths to feed. I work at a middle school and when schools are closed I can't work. I have missed several days due to the snow. I didn't get paid during the Winter Break, I am not a teacher and only get paid the days I work. My stbx husband is out of work now and I am not currently not getting child support.
malibucj
by on Jan. 29, 2014 at 5:28 PM

I still venture out to work. I leave earlier and it is a longer car ride. 

Saharra
by on Jan. 29, 2014 at 5:38 PM
1 mom liked this
We've been locked in since last Friday. Looks like there won't be school tomorrow either. Out driveway is long (for our area). We are in the middle of the woods, but we have to be able to get DH to work. He works for a heating and cooling company, so people NEED heat in this weather. But he kinda has an advantage because he works on cars and because of that he has learned how to drive in just about anything. Those people that are on the roads really know how to handle what the weather does! We make sure our cars have snow tires and we also have a truck that is a 4x4. So far he has been able to make it every day, though everything has been shut down most of this week. I did go out last night to get a few groceries (needed fruit!). I took my oldest DS out today to get his allergy shots. The key is being slow and not letting people push you. When the white outs happen, make sure your lights are on because people don't slow down. Make sure tail lights are brushed off and if you know you are going to be in white out conditions, turn on your hazards to keep your lights warmer so they don't freeze. Then people see you easier too.
momrocks2000
by Bronze Member on Jan. 29, 2014 at 5:51 PM

Good news your employer still pays you, very forunate!  I wish we were in that same spot right now.  My DH is losing money now, due to customer's not coming out on slippery roads.  Nice you are stocked up, I wish that was us right now.  Ugh.

Quoting maggie268:

Living it right now... Ds & I are home because of the freezing rain & icy road conditions. His school is closed & the company I work for also closed. I keep the pantry & freezer stocked up & since its just the 2 of there's always something to eat. I also have savings for the unexpected. But my employer will still pay us for the days missed. 

shadowspirit07
by Member on Jan. 29, 2014 at 5:57 PM

We make large meals so that we can have leftovers or freeze them. We supplement heat with fires in our wood stove and with heat from the oven when cooking/baking. It's about the same amount of food used in my opinion because we still have to feed those going to work by providing a lunch of sorts (unless they don't eat lunch) for them at work or at home regardless. I do agree that finances could get a little tight if those who work don't get to go. DH and I live with my parents to help them out with things like snowblowing that they can't do any more. We dig and snowblow the driveway to make sure everyone can get out and there's plenty of food in the cupboard and freezers (freezer over the fridge and a small chest freezer) for us all to eat (4 adults).

momrocks2000
by Bronze Member on Jan. 29, 2014 at 5:58 PM

Good advice for people living in the snowbelt area.  I'm in the same situation as you, I have not left our house since last Friday, my DH took me grocery shopping.  Are you in the Midwest? you can send me a PM if you'd like,,,just wondered.  My family is so bored.  DD (teen) missed another day of school.  It's too cold to go outside, even for a little while. I do NEED to go & shovel our driveway very soon, before it gets dark outside. We have a car thats a four wheeled, I miss my Jeep 4x4, a lot, wish i had it now!  My car now, may get stuck on my city street, no kidding, it has not been plowed out for days and I live in the city!  I need to be brave and drive to a grocery store yet tonight, with hazzards on, if the wind picksup, i've heard tonight, early morning 40 to 50 MPH for our area.  Ugh.  Please winter, go away.  I am so ready for spring!

Quoting Saharra: We've been locked in since last Friday. Looks like there won't be school tomorrow either. Out driveway is long (for our area). We are in the middle of the woods, but we have to be able to get DH to work. He works for a heating and cooling company, so people NEED heat in this weather. But he kinda has an advantage because he works on cars and because of that he has learned how to drive in just about anything. Those people that are on the roads really know how to handle what the weather does! We make sure our cars have snow tires and we also have a truck that is a 4x4. So far he has been able to make it every day, though everything has been shut down most of this week. I did go out last night to get a few groceries (needed fruit!). I took my oldest DS out today to get his allergy shots. The key is being slow and not letting people push you. When the white outs happen, make sure your lights are on because people don't slow down. Make sure tail lights are brushed off and if you know you are going to be in white out conditions, turn on your hazards to keep your lights warmer so they don't freeze. Then people see you easier too.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN