Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

How do you make ends meet when bad weather becomes an obstacle?

Posted by   + Show Post

With the "Great Snowstorm of '14" looming on the horizon, we're looking at schools being out and roads being closed. We both have full tanks of gas and we have lots of groceries and things on hand, so we're going to be okay, I think. My sister, however, living 2hrs north and in the trajectory of the heaviest snow predictions for the state, isn't sure how they'll manage since road closings mean her husband can't get to work so he won't get paid for that day.

It made me think, how do you manage when bad weather means the kids are home and you and/or your husband/SO can't go to work, either? You have the extra expense of them being home to eat more during the day and the loss of income from not getting to work.

If you haven't had to deal with this yet, what do you think you'd do? Do you think you'd come out okay?

by on Jan. 28, 2014 at 2:25 PM
Replies (41-50):
gingermommy86
by on Jan. 29, 2014 at 6:28 PM
We are dealing with this now... hubs hasn't been to work since Monday. . Also he just took off for the birth of our dd.. so his checks are have been quite small and we just got a 300$ power bill... (we got a new heating system back in November a bigger one with a heat pump..they claimed it would help on the bill but being it's a bigger unit it makes it more) we keep it on 70 but still..
Saharra
by on Jan. 29, 2014 at 6:31 PM
1 mom liked this
Thank you! Yes, I'm in Michigan. My LO's are bored too! They are 6 and 4, so the 4yr old is used to being home with me. My 6yr old is always wanting to move though! If it would just get a tad warmer I would let him play on the deck in the snow for a few minutes (just long enough to make hot chocolate ;) Just to wear them out a little tiny bit! Lol.
Be careful going out to shovel. Rest when you need to and have coffee or tea ready when you come back :)
I'm ready for spring too! We've got the horses and I'm all the time checking on them. So far they are doing ok, but I worry about my old mare. I love spring and summer and looking forward to the camp ground opening. I'm ready! But they are saying that the lakes may freeze over. If they do, the sun should shine more and we won't get the lake effect. But it will be colder :( I'm thinking NOOOO! Lol. Though the sun will feel nice.
The snow banks are higher then my mini-van in some areas. It's crazy!

Quoting momrocks2000:

Good advice for people living in the snowbelt area.  I'm in the same situation as you, I have not left our house since last Friday, my DH took me grocery shopping.  Are you in the Midwest? you can send me a PM if you'd like,,,just wondered.  My family is so bored.  DD (teen) missed another day of school.  It's too cold to go outside, even for a little while. I do NEED to go & shovel our driveway very soon, before it gets dark outside. We have a car thats a four wheeled, I miss my Jeep 4x4, a lot, wish i had it now!  My car now, may get stuck on my city street, no kidding, it has not been plowed out for days and I live in the city!  I need to be brave and drive to a grocery store yet tonight, with hazzards on, if the wind picksup, i've heard tonight, early morning 40 to 50 MPH for our area.  Ugh.  Please winter, go away.  I am so ready for spring!

Quoting Saharra: We've been locked in since last Friday. Looks like there won't be school tomorrow either. Out driveway is long (for our area). We are in the middle of the woods, but we have to be able to get DH to work. He works for a heating and cooling company, so people NEED heat in this weather. But he kinda has an advantage because he works on cars and because of that he has learned how to drive in just about anything. Those people that are on the roads really know how to handle what the weather does! We make sure our cars have snow tires and we also have a truck that is a 4x4. So far he has been able to make it every day, though everything has been shut down most of this week. I did go out last night to get a few groceries (needed fruit!). I took my oldest DS out today to get his allergy shots. The key is being slow and not letting people push you. When the white outs happen, make sure your lights are on because people don't slow down. Make sure tail lights are brushed off and if you know you are going to be in white out conditions, turn on your hazards to keep your lights warmer so they don't freeze. Then people see you easier too.

momrocks2000
by Bronze Member on Jan. 29, 2014 at 6:34 PM

Same state, ugh.  so those southern, yeah, they've got issues, but we've got long term ones. My DH drives 45 min to his job, which is now taking him 1 plus hours one way!  Now it is dark out, so maybe no shoveling for me.  I just see outer areas of schools, not in our county are already closing for tomorrow, winds are suppose to be 20 to 38 on one tv station website , but another tv station website is saying 30 to 50 MPH winds, oh my... i am at wits end.  Praying now.  I have only seen pictures of the snow banks.  We now live in the city, and its bad here...no city plow truck that i know of down our cul de sak.  I have not been out since last FRIDAY...cabin fever, other than me shoveling off an don,,,not the last few days...i couldn't do it, i have arthritis, and its hurting bec of the cold weather.  

Quoting Saharra: Thank you! Yes, I'm in Michigan. My LO's are bored too! They are 6 and 4, so the 4yr old is used to being home with me. My 6yr old is always wanting to move though! If it would just get a tad warmer I would let him play on the deck in the snow for a few minutes (just long enough to make hot chocolate ;) Just to wear them out a little tiny bit! Lol.
Be careful going out to shovel. Rest when you need to and have coffee or tea ready when you come back :)
I'm ready for spring too! We've got the horses and I'm all the time checking on them. So far they are doing ok, but I worry about my old mare. I love spring and summer and looking forward to the camp ground opening. I'm ready! But they are saying that the lakes may freeze over. If they do, the sun should shine more and we won't get the lake effect. But it will be colder :( I'm thinking NOOOO! Lol. Though the sun will feel nice.
The snow banks are higher then my mini-van in some areas. It's crazy!

Quoting momrocks2000:

Good advice for people living in the snowbelt area.  I'm in the same situation as you, I have not left our house since last Friday, my DH took me grocery shopping.  Are you in the Midwest? you can send me a PM if you'd like,,,just wondered.  My family is so bored.  DD (teen) missed another day of school.  It's too cold to go outside, even for a little while. I do NEED to go & shovel our driveway very soon, before it gets dark outside. We have a car thats a four wheeled, I miss my Jeep 4x4, a lot, wish i had it now!  My car now, may get stuck on my city street, no kidding, it has not been plowed out for days and I live in the city!  I need to be brave and drive to a grocery store yet tonight, with hazzards on, if the wind picksup, i've heard tonight, early morning 40 to 50 MPH for our area.  Ugh.  Please winter, go away.  I am so ready for spring!

Quoting Saharra: We've been locked in since last Friday. Looks like there won't be school tomorrow either. Out driveway is long (for our area). We are in the middle of the woods, but we have to be able to get DH to work. He works for a heating and cooling company, so people NEED heat in this weather. But he kinda has an advantage because he works on cars and because of that he has learned how to drive in just about anything. Those people that are on the roads really know how to handle what the weather does! We make sure our cars have snow tires and we also have a truck that is a 4x4. So far he has been able to make it every day, though everything has been shut down most of this week. I did go out last night to get a few groceries (needed fruit!). I took my oldest DS out today to get his allergy shots. The key is being slow and not letting people push you. When the white outs happen, make sure your lights are on because people don't slow down. Make sure tail lights are brushed off and if you know you are going to be in white out conditions, turn on your hazards to keep your lights warmer so they don't freeze. Then people see you easier too.

critter_boo
by New Member on Jan. 29, 2014 at 6:37 PM
I get paid for snow days
poppys_mommy
by on Jan. 29, 2014 at 7:13 PM

We aren't affected in our area (it's mid 70s today) but I really worry about people.  We'd be ok if we had to be home since we have savings and if we had power, dh and I would work from home (I always work from home so energy usage would be the same and maybe slightly less since DH eats out for lunch every day) so it wouldn't be a big change necessarily.  But frankly, we're lucky to be in this position.  Yes, we worked hard for it, but I know there are people who are fighting to make ends meet and a day salary loss, whether from illness or weather or whatever, is a huge hit.  I know those families are working just as hard as we are.  Fighting against weather too?  It just doesn't seem right.

specialwingz
by Corey on Jan. 29, 2014 at 7:16 PM

I lived in MN for 20 years.  It's where I spent most of my career.  None of my employers ever paid for snow days.  And I worked for major employers like American Airlines and Archer Daniels Midland.  On Halloween 1991, we got 3 feet of snow within about 6 hours.  That shut down the city simply because the road crews couldn't keep up with the pace at which the snow was falling.  I had to take vacation day to get paid for that day.

I moved to TX in Dec. 2004.  We have had only 4 ice events in the past 9 years.  Two of those in the past week.

I think it's very unfair how northerners bad mouth southerners and their "wimpiness" ( which is what I think you meant instead of "wisp") and "inability" to drive on ice and snow.  Perhaps a little explaining will help you understand better.

When we get freezing rain, it's more of a light rain and most often a mist that coats everything and freezes.  It's a slick layer that sits on top of the roads and is perfectly clear and invisible to drivers.  It can be patchy. You can be driving on dry pavement and suddenly hit a patch of invisible ice.  If it's not patchy, it's solid and there is no traction at all.  And, since it doesn't happen very often, we are not allowed snow chains or studded tires.

Of course you know how to drive on it.  You deal with it every winter!  Southern states don't have the experience.  We get 1 ice storm about every 4-5 years.  I have to ask you, exactly HOW are people supposed to learn to drive on it when it happens once every 4-5 years?  As for me, I've driven on it all.  And I would choose driving in a northern winter over driving on the ice rinks that happen in the southern states once in a blue moon.

So, putting down people for not being able to drive in conditions they are not used to is like putting down an accountant for not being able to repair jet engines.  While numbers are 2nd nature to an accountant and putting engines together is common sense to the mechanic, you couldn't expect them to trade places for a day and know what they are doing.

Quoting MommytoAbigail:

I think most jobs up here that are full time will pay you....maybe because we aren't wisp and have to drive through snow and ice all winter, and things only close when it's very very bad much worse than you will ever see in the south.

Quoting specialwingz:

It is rare for a company to pay you for a bad weather day.  You are very lucky!  Most don't do that.  They don't see it as their fault either and one is forced to use a vacation day or personal day if they want to be paid for the day.  Many companies won't allow a sick day to be used as it isn't for an actual illness.  Sucks, yes.  But, it's how it is.

Quoting MommytoAbigail:

In Ny we are used to crappy weather, nothing shuts down but maybe school.  We did have a blizzard and business closed, my work closed but we were still paid, since it was not our fault we couldn't work.  I would think most places would be like that, or could you use a sick day to get paid?

sissy502
by New Member on Jan. 29, 2014 at 7:21 PM
1 mom liked this

I try to turn storm days into an adventure for the family.

If it looks like a really severe storm is going to hit us my hubby will run to town for a few extra supplies. But we live in the snow belt of the north and we're used to snow & ice storms.

I'm generally well stocked but I have 3 plastic trunks in the basement with extra storm gear. (candles, batteries, oil for the oil lamps, matches... flares.... crank radio, new playing cards, you name it I have it)

sakpoints
by Bronze Member on Jan. 29, 2014 at 7:51 PM
As long as our electricity stays on we would be fine. I can work from home if needed and DH is currently unemployed. So no loss of income for us. We keep our pantry stocked.
jessi2girls
by on Jan. 29, 2014 at 8:31 PM

We are stocked, have food, gas, wood for the fire... we are from western, ny... so we are always prepared.... I work from home so that's not an issue either.

MommytoAbigail
by Member on Jan. 29, 2014 at 8:33 PM

Wow calm down.  I know what ice is, (what you are talking about is called black ice btw)we had an ice storm right before Christmas, 1.5 inches of ice you don't think that gets slick?  I say wimps because every time it gets cold or you get a dusting of snow they freak and close everything. Sorry but if you can still see the black top you are not going to spin out of control, and instead of trying to drive slow they just close everything.  I saw a picture of a bridge in LA I think and they were dumping a whole dump truck load of sand on it, not necessary at all.  The truth is if you have just a bit of ice, it will mealt if enough cars drive over it and heat it up.  People in the south think it's such a huge deal if it gets a little cold for one day and want everyone to feel bad for them (maybe not everyone but a lot do.) it gets annoying, 

No one taught me how to drive in snow, you just do it and go slow, I guess the warm states don't know how to drive under 30?

again calm down no one is out to get you.

Quoting specialwingz:

I lived in MN for 20 years.  It's where I spent most of my career.  None of my employers ever paid for snow days.  And I worked for major employers like American Airlines and Archer Daniels Midland.  On Halloween 1991, we got 3 feet of snow within about 6 hours.  That shut down the city simply because the road crews couldn't keep up with the pace at which the snow was falling.  I had to take vacation day to get paid for that day.

I moved to TX in Dec. 2004.  We have had only 4 ice events in the past 9 years.  Two of those in the past week.

I think it's very unfair how northerners bad mouth southerners and their "wimpiness" ( which is what I think you meant instead of "wisp") and "inability" to drive on ice and snow.  Perhaps a little explaining will help you understand better.

When we get freezing rain, it's more of a light rain and most often a mist that coats everything and freezes.  It's a slick layer that sits on top of the roads and is perfectly clear and invisible to drivers.  It can be patchy. You can be driving on dry pavement and suddenly hit a patch of invisible ice.  If it's not patchy, it's solid and there is no traction at all.  And, since it doesn't happen very often, we are not allowed snow chains or studded tires.

Of course you know how to drive on it.  You deal with it every winter!  Southern states don't have the experience.  We get 1 ice storm about every 4-5 years.  I have to ask you, exactly HOW are people supposed to learn to drive on it when it happens once every 4-5 years?  As for me, I've driven on it all.  And I would choose driving in a northern winter over driving on the ice rinks that happen in the southern states once in a blue moon.

So, putting down people for not being able to drive in conditions they are not used to is like putting down an accountant for not being able to repair jet engines.  While numbers are 2nd nature to an accountant and putting engines together is common sense to the mechanic, you couldn't expect them to trade places for a day and know what they are doing.

Quoting MommytoAbigail:

I think most jobs up here that are full time will pay you....maybe because we aren't wisp and have to drive through snow and ice all winter, and things only close when it's very very bad much worse than you will ever see in the south.

Quoting specialwingz:

It is rare for a company to pay you for a bad weather day.  You are very lucky!  Most don't do that.  They don't see it as their fault either and one is forced to use a vacation day or personal day if they want to be paid for the day.  Many companies won't allow a sick day to be used as it isn't for an actual illness.  Sucks, yes.  But, it's how it is.

Quoting MommytoAbigail:

In Ny we are used to crappy weather, nothing shuts down but maybe school.  We did have a blizzard and business closed, my work closed but we were still paid, since it was not our fault we couldn't work.  I would think most places would be like that, or could you use a sick day to get paid?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)