Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Work Hours-Vent-Long

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 2:53 PM
  • 8 Replies

I work for a national company's daycare.  I LOVE it!  My boss is great, my co-workers are awesome, I love working with children and for my line of work the pay is good(some DC teachers get paid peanuts).  Anyway we have been struggling for a couple month now with the number of children we have each day,  when we get paid for each child (personal accounts and state accounts) and this has caused changes in everyone's schedules. 

I was hired 5 years ago as a part-time teacher working between 25-30 hrs a week.  I took this job when my DD was 8mths old and it was perfect for me then,  I only had to pay for a half day of DC I could spend my mornings with her and then I could be near her while at work, but now my DD is in school full time.  I would like to work Full-time between 30-40 hrs a week and durning the day when my DD is at school, but with these changes I am looking at 25-30 hr again.  I have mentioned to my boss that I would like more hr but without children it is hard togive hours to a part-time worker, when there are full-time girls that would gladly work overtime :( 

The thing that I am struggling with right now is once summer rolls around my hours pick up to between 30-40+ hrs, because of school agers coming for summer break.  I get so excited to work that many hours but once summer is over my hours are taken away again.  I discussed it with DH and he told me that it is time to find something new.  He said that he would like to move soon into a new house and he would need more help ($$ wise).  So I am not sure what to do.  Stay with something because you love it or find something new.  And the other problem is what.  Ahhhh I wish there was a magic potion that you could make all your problems go away :)

Thanks for listening. 

by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 2:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
diaperstodating
by Gold Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 2:57 PM
Hugs
pinkstar729
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 3:03 PM

Hugs, IDK if you are ok with me suggesting this, but what about starting your own business in DIrect Sales? There are lots of moms making a really good living by joining the right company. It would be something to consider.

shellybird
by Michelle on Feb. 5, 2014 at 4:46 PM

Not sure about this?  If you mean selling something like Mary Kay or Party Lite, been there done that and failed. 

Quoting pinkstar729:

Hugs, IDK if you are ok with me suggesting this, but what about starting your own business in DIrect Sales? There are lots of moms making a really good living by joining the right company. It would be something to consider.

kimber2465
by Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 4:58 PM

you could always find another center to work at, or even at the school.

christyg
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 5:26 PM

I run a licensed daycare from my home ... Plenty of hours here!! In fact, I keep trying to find a way to CUT my hours back. Have you looked into opening a home daycare?

BeachLifeMama
by Beachy on Feb. 5, 2014 at 9:29 PM
I know how you feel. I was working at a Pediatric office that I love but not enough hours and no advancement. It was pros and cons for me but I went ahead and took a different job which is a full time with good benefits but I'm not crazy about it. As for me I rather work somewhere that I love doing instead of coming to work and hate it. But it's also good to take new chances. Good luck and best wishes.
katherinemcp
by on Feb. 6, 2014 at 7:45 AM
This is what I would suggest, or trying to go tgrough something like care.com and taking a nanny position?

Quoting christyg:

I run a licensed daycare from my home ... Plenty of hours here!! In fact, I keep trying to find a way to CUT my hours back. Have you looked into opening a home daycare?

shellybird
by Michelle on Feb. 6, 2014 at 2:41 PM

I would love to do something in my home, but my house is the size of a shoebox!  Well thats for all your support ladies! :) 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)