Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

DIY vs Couponing

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 8:08 PM
  • 20 Replies

Who do you think saves more, people who coupon or those who DIY? I am starting to think about the expenses associated with couponing - newspapers, printed coupons, etc...Then there is driving to several different stores to get what I want. I can see the benefit from couponing, it's just a lot of work. I have thought about DIY yourself instead (i.e. cleaning products, body wash, shampoo, etc...). I watch the show with the Duggars and they make their own baby wipes and laundry soap. 

by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 8:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AzariahsMother
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 10:50 PM

Honestly I think they might just even out the same.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Feb. 6, 2014 at 8:24 AM
2 moms liked this

When I take into account the time spent couponing vs. the time spent DIY, I would say the DIY is more frugal....but that is something that each mom has to value for herself.

It takes me less time, for example, to make a batch of laundry soap vs. searching for a coupon, driving to the store, and buying the product.  Definitely costs less, too.

Larisa72
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 9:23 AM
1 mom liked this

I do a combination of the 2....coupons are great for groceries...sometimes....I meal plan and try to get as many meals as possible with a limited amount of $$, which is why I coupon (family of 4 with 1 being a fairly recently fledged teenager....the apprtite just kicked in with him, 2 cats, 1 dog)....however, I also make things myself - laundry detergent, cleaners, bread, "pop tarts", granola, snacks, etc.

I think you need to see which best fits your personality and lifestyle.....

specialwingz
by Corey on Feb. 6, 2014 at 11:18 AM

DIY totally does it best for me.

12yrmama
by on Feb. 6, 2014 at 11:41 AM

Depends on the product.

We have been making our own laundry soap for years, DEFINITELY cheaper! But I've noticed it tends to build-up on the laundry pipes, we have to have ours snaked... so we might go back to buying it.

Goofychic
by on Feb. 7, 2014 at 12:47 PM

I'm just learning to REALLY DIY.  I've tried the coupon thing, but the more I look at the products offered, the more I realize they are chock full of chemicals. 

So with that being said, I am going more to the homemade side and am going to keep a running tab for a while just out of curiousity.  So I'll have to check back and tell you lol!

carebear10993
by Member on Feb. 8, 2014 at 8:13 PM

I do both. Well I help my mom with couponing and I do DIY. We have 7people with one on the way in our house right now and we only spend about $50 eah week on food counting fresh fruis and Vegs. Wedo have to pay more when we get meays but we do try to only stock up on those when on sale.  We garden when we can and freeze or can the extra's we get. For us we get soaps and thinds like that much cheaper wih coupons. We don't maake special trips to store either and we also don't drive all over the place if a place is out we get a rain checkso no extra gas is spent.

GrandmaSherry
by Gold Member on Feb. 8, 2014 at 10:11 PM

The people I know who really make couponing work for them are families who have inside connections to numerous free coupon inserts each week. Buying numerous papers probably wouldn't pay off in a big way.  But those who have connections to newspaper delivery service people, etc, can get all those left over coupon inserts free.  Then they take those and get 100 free ketchups or 20 almost free deodorants, etc.  

victoriaherring
by Bronze Member on Feb. 8, 2014 at 10:18 PM

I think more factors go into it than just the money you save.. It depends on how much time you spend doing it, and whether or not you enjoy doing it.. Also, I know I have saved a ton using homemade laundry detergent, but I just like Tide better.. I like the smell of it because it brings back good memories of my childhood (I know that sounds crazy) but because of that I always get Tide when I can find it at a good price on sale and with coupons.. I like homemade bread, but I hate making it. I can never get it right and I end up getting frustrated so I just buy it.. I will get whatever is on sale or what I have coupons for if there is something decent so that I can save some money.. 

Oh and I think if you coupon right, you don't have to worry about the cost of the newspapers because it ends up paying for itself plus some.. You also shouldn't worry about going to a dozen stores.. Just pick a favorite or two and just go there.. The deals make the rounds so you end up getting what you need..

victoriaherring
by Bronze Member on Feb. 8, 2014 at 10:23 PM

I have a connection with the local newspaper because I use to work there.. Our local newspaper isn't allowed to give out their extra inserts. They are saved and sent back or recycled.. I'm not sure which.. I'm sad I didn't coupon when I worked there because I could have gotten plenty, because we were able to grab as many newspapers as we wanted, and each paper had an insert.. I probably wouldn't have been able to go back and get stacks of inserts alone, but I could have easily have gotten more than I needed.. I was so young and clueless I never even looked at them back then, I just took out the stuff inside and threw it away..

I wonder if all of these people that get stacks of coupons are doing it legally though? I wonder if this rule applies to more people/papers.. I know they would have given me the inserts when I asked if they were allowed to, but they just couldn't.

Quoting GrandmaSherry:

The people I know who really make couponing work for them are families who have inside connections to numerous free coupon inserts each week. Buying numerous papers probably wouldn't pay off in a big way.  But those who have connections to newspaper delivery service people, etc, can get all those left over coupon inserts free.  Then they take those and get 100 free ketchups or 20 almost free deodorants, etc.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)