Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

Planning a trip to Florida - Any tips

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 10:54 PM
  • 5 Replies

Thinking of driving to save money. We are in NJ. Have a couple of places we want to go. Have Triple AAA. Thinking about getting a rewards card to pay for airfare. Any other trips on how you would plan a trip to Florida. We usually stay in midgrade hotel. Going to the Miami area, but not for the nightlife. Going in March sometime.

by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 10:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Bleacheddecay
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 10:59 PM
2 moms liked this

I highly recommend renting a condo. Usually that's cheaper than a hotel, comes with full kitchen so you don't have to eat out all the time, and washer and dryer so you can pack less. We do it. It saves us a lot of money and it's very relaxing to stay a whole week.

vrbo.com is my fav site to rent from.

MixedCooke
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 2:53 AM
1 mom liked this

Travelzoo and Groupon for discounts. 

momrocks2000
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 10:17 AM

In the past, we've rented a house from off of Craigslist (the area) or the site vrbo.com  ; you can either rent directly from the owner (done this from UK owner's), and we've rented thru a rental management company, both worked out well.  I try to find one that I do NOT need to place a security deposit either.  I look for a home with minimum 2 bedrooms, plus a full kitchen/all kitchen utensils, washer/dryer, linens included, cable for internet/tv and a pool & spa. There are plenty of places to rent, and I found these are much cleaner, quieter and you can eat in your own house rather than eat out for every meal. We save a lot of money and it includes privacy, even a garage to park your rental or own car!  PM if you want more details.

specialwingz
by Corey on Feb. 6, 2014 at 11:15 AM

Gas Buddy app to find the best gas prices along the way.

karone04
by on Feb. 6, 2014 at 5:24 PM

Avoid toll roads to and from your destination if possible.

We live in Ohio and took a different route coming home because of visiting a couple of online friends. We hit the toll roads in Orlando (where granparent-inlaws live) and near the Ohio/West Virginia border.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)