Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

How do your prices compare??

Posted by on Feb. 6, 2014 at 10:48 AM
  • 10 Replies

Mobile Photo

I typically shop at the store closest to my house, Hannaford, and generally speaking, for a while they were quite competitive and I could rely on consistently good prices without having to drive all over creation to chase deals. It's not the least expensive way to shop, but I coupon when I can. (: Prices have been going up all over the store lately though, so I'm going to have to start bouncing around to other stores. We have Shaw's nearby, their loss leaders are usually good, Market Basket (same, but I find their stores are laid out funny and the employees never seem happy), and then about 30 minutes away we have Aldi (they are hit or miss), Super Walmart, and Target.

The picture is my receipt from this morning. I knew there would be markdowns because no one was out shopping yesterday, so I took advantage of that, but even with the markdowns the meat prices weren't too stellar.

How do your prices compare?
by on Feb. 6, 2014 at 10:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
katherinemcp
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 10:50 AM

Mobile Photo

Sorry I dont know why they are sideways lol
britmichele
by on Feb. 6, 2014 at 10:53 AM
I would say I get better deals here. I shop at different stores for different things. And I splurge on certain things
katherinemcp
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 10:55 AM
Large cansof diced tomatoes have gone up from .69 to .95 ea
Mac n cheese has gone up from .50 to .79 and .89 for spirals (store brand), shapes Kraft has gone from 1.00 ea to 1.39 ea
Store brand tortillas have gone from 1.69 for 8 burrito size to 1.99
Store brand bacon up to 4.29 from 3.49 for 1 lb
Boneless chicken thighs were on sale for 3.59 the other day, yikes, boneless skinless chicken breast 3.39 lb down from 3.89
I haven't seen pork below 2.89/lb in weeks at this store
katherinemcp
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 10:56 AM
Where are you? I live in MA but can shop in NH too (tax free).

Quoting britmichele: I would say I get better deals here. I shop at different stores for different things. And I splurge on certain things
britmichele
by on Feb. 6, 2014 at 10:58 AM
I'm in WI
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Feb. 6, 2014 at 11:08 AM

In our area (the prices that I do know):

American cheese slices - $1.99

egg noodles - 89¢ to $1.29

pasta (penne, etc.) 75¢ - 99¢

diced tomatoes 15 oz. can 35¢ - 59¢

ranch dressing 16 oz.  75¢ - $1

mac & cheese - 35¢

eggs - 99¢ - $1.29/doz

flour $1.29 - $1.59/5 lb.

bacon - $2.99/12 oz. pkg

specialwingz
by Corey on Feb. 6, 2014 at 11:13 AM

I'm in TX.  Our prices are pretty comparable to yours, for the most part.  Although, your meat prices are high compared to mine.  

I will agree that the prices have been going up more lately.  I even made a comment to our store manager about that.  Of course he has no control over corporate decisions.  But, I felt better making my thoughts known.

We have a Super Walmart just across the street from our grocer.  But, on average, the same cart of groceries would cost me $20-30 more, even buying Walmart's brand. 5 or 10 cents more per item adds up when it's a full cart of groceries for the week. And, their meats are WAY more per pound! I don't care for Walmart anyway.

If you are considering using several stores to complete your grocery list, be sure to figure in the cost of getting to all those stores.  Gas isn't exactly cheap.  And, can quickly eat up any savings you might gain at checkout.  My mother used to do that.  She had 5 different stores she would go to to get all her needs.  Although she planned the route strategically, she ended up spending more for the gas to get her around than she saved in prices differences and coupons.  Not to mention, the 3 hours it took her to make her rounds.  So, you HAVE to make sure that your are saving more than you are spending in gas and time.

katherinemcp
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 11:14 AM
Some stores in my area charge upwards of $5.99, $6.99/lb just for American cheese at the deli. Its nuts!

Quoting michiganmom116:

In our area (the prices that I do know):

American cheese slices - $1.99

egg noodles - 89¢ to $1.29

pasta (penne, etc.) 75¢ - 99¢

diced tomatoes 15 oz. can 35¢ - 59¢

ranch dressing 16 oz.  75¢ - $1

mac & cheese - 35¢

eggs - 99¢ - $1.29/doz

flour $1.29 - $1.59/5 lb.

bacon - $2.99/12 oz. pkg

katherinemcp
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 11:17 AM
Yup, thats why I stopped going around to the different stores too! Especially trekking out to Aldi or Super Walmart, it was so frustrating to get a half hour away with kids in tow just to see picked over shelves. This store is a mile from my house and its soooo much easier to go there, even with dragging the kids with me, lol.

Quoting specialwingz:

I'm in TX.  Our prices are pretty comparable to yours, for the most part.  Although, your meat prices are high compared to mine.  

I will agree that the prices have been going up more lately.  I even made a comment to our store manager about that.  Of course he has no control over corporate decisions.  But, I felt better making my thoughts known.

We have a Super Walmart just across the street from our grocer.  But, on average, the same cart of groceries would cost me $20-30 more, even buying Walmart's brand. 5 or 10 cents more per item adds up when it's a full cart of groceries for the week. And, their meats are WAY more per pound! I don't care for Walmart anyway.

If you are considering using several stores to complete your grocery list, be sure to figure in the cost of getting to all those stores.  Gas isn't exactly cheap.  And, can quickly eat up any savings you might gain at checkout.  My mother used to do that.  She had 5 different stores she would go to to get all her needs.  Although she planned the route strategically, she ended up spending more for the gas to get her around than she saved in prices differences and coupons.  Not to mention, the 3 hours it took her to make her rounds.  So, you HAVE to make sure that your are saving more than you are spending in gas and time.

aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Feb. 7, 2014 at 3:29 PM

where I am in TX...meat prices are STUPID. finding organic anything is like a needle in a haystack. small towns are just BAD for cost effective grocery shopping :/

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)