Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

Cutting cable?

Posted by on Feb. 6, 2014 at 2:08 PM
  • 41 Replies

How long did it take you to adjust after you cut out cable?

Ours is temporarily suspended and dh and I are giving serious thought to just shutting it off all together and watching our favorite shows when they post the full episode online the day after airing. Today is our first full day without it and the change in routine is throwing me off a little. 

by on Feb. 6, 2014 at 2:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RonaH
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 2:28 PM

I didn't have cable for 3 years on two separate occasions. :) I think it takes about 2 weeks then you don't even miss it. When I move its going off again I only got it again because I got a fantastic deal which is over now. With the internet you can watch just about anything and i have Netflix and Amazon Prime. Plus there are like 50 free channels you can get if you have a digital TV including ABC, NBC, FOX, CBS and all the regular's. Even if you have an old box tv you can buy a cheap converter that comes with a remote and everything its like a mini cable box.It looks just like cable so I watched my network shows at the same time as everyone else anyway.

victoriaherring
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 2:31 PM
I signed up for the free trials of Netflix and Hulu before we canceled cable to see if We would be happy with just those. It only took a day or two before I was sure I would be fine canceling. I do miss HGTV and some other stuff, but not enough to pay all that extra money. It saves us over $50 a month.
victoriaherring
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 2:32 PM
We also have an antenna to get the free channels.. I think it depends on where you live and the signal you can pick up.. We only get nbc and abc.. But all of my favorite shows come on those channels so I have no complaints.

Quoting RonaH:

I didn't have cable for 3 years on two separate occasions. :) I think it takes about 2 weeks then you don't even miss it. When I move its going off again I only got it again because I got a fantastic deal which is over now. With the internet you can watch just about anything and i have Netflix and Amazon Prime. Plus there are like 50 free channels you can get if you have a digital TV including ABC, NBC, FOX, CBS and all the regular's. Even if you have an old box tv you can buy a cheap converter that comes with a remote and everything its like a mini cable box.It looks just like cable so I watched my network shows at the same time as everyone else anyway.

Gorilla_Mama
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 2:37 PM

Quoting victoriaherring: I signed up for the free trials of Netflix and Hulu before we canceled cable to see if We would be happy with just those. It only took a day or two before I was sure I would be fine canceling. I do miss HGTV and some other stuff, but not enough to pay all that extra money. It saves us over $50 a month.

I've been hunting down the websites of our favorite shows, and so far they all post the full episode online the day after airing. So I'm thinking it shouldn't be to painful and it would save us $60 a month.

It's just things like my dd2 always watches Mickey Mouse in the morning while she eats breakfast. There was no Mickey today and since she's 2 she doesn't understand why, she was just pissed. And I usually watch reruns of a couple old favorites while she naps but didn't have that today and I didn't care enough to look online for something to watch.

RonaH
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 2:40 PM

Oh wow that is not a lot of channels at all!  I used to love this channel called Qubo because it was an all kids channel all day and it was wholesome shows so my daughter would watch that and not miss cable at all. If you haven't already check to make sure your TV is set to AIR not CABLE and then run the channel scan. I didn't realize that at first and didn't get many channels it makes all the difference. Although that may not be the case for you its worth a looksie.

Quoting victoriaherring: We also have an antenna to get the free channels.. I think it depends on where you live and the signal you can pick up.. We only get nbc and abc.. But all of my favorite shows come on those channels so I have no complaints.

Quoting RonaH:

XOXOnBubbles
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 2:42 PM

We haven't had cable for years now... and I honestly don't miss it.  We have Netflix and an antenna that picks up free channels.  That is enough for us.  Kids can watch PBS in the morning and it is free.  Or they have a ton of kid shows and movies on Netflix too.  :-)  

victoriaherring
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 3:10 PM
I hate sitting at my computer to watch shows. Plus my husband and I like to watch stuff together so it's just easier to use the tv.. Hulu airs most shows the day after they air like the network websites, and my daughter watches Mickey and Curious George on Netflix.

Quoting Gorilla_Mama:

Quoting victoriaherring: I signed up for the free trials of Netflix and Hulu before we canceled cable to see if We would be happy with just those. It only took a day or two before I was sure I would be fine canceling. I do miss HGTV and some other stuff, but not enough to pay all that extra money. It saves us over $50 a month.

I've been hunting down the websites of our favorite shows, and so far they all post the full episode online the day after airing. So I'm thinking it shouldn't be to painful and it would save us $60 a month.

It's just things like my dd2 always watches Mickey Mouse in the morning while she eats breakfast. There was no Mickey today and since she's 2 she doesn't understand why, she was just pissed. And I usually watch reruns of a couple old favorites while she naps but didn't have that today and I didn't care enough to look online for something to watch.

rmp
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 3:12 PM

We have never had cable. A year ago my son and husband got netflix and we really like it. 

LimeTree
by New Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 3:13 PM
We don't have cable but we do have hulu+ and netflix.
victoriaherring
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 3:15 PM
Mine is set to antenna.. It's the only option other than cable. I've tried moving it around to get a better signal, but I think it's just our location. I'm moving closer to the city in a month or two so I'm hoping I'll get more channels that way.

Quoting RonaH:

Oh wow that is not a lot of channels at all!  I used to love this channel called Qubo because it was an all kids channel all day and it was wholesome shows so my daughter would watch that and not miss cable at all. If you haven't already check to make sure your TV is set to AIR not CABLE and then run the channel scan. I didn't realize that at first and didn't get many channels it makes all the difference. Although that may not be the case for you its worth a looksie.

Quoting victoriaherring: We also have an antenna to get the free channels.. I think it depends on where you live and the signal you can pick up.. We only get nbc and abc.. But all of my favorite shows come on those channels so I have no complaints.

Quoting RonaH:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)