Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

Craigslist vs Ebay ffor selling stuff. Which do you and why??

Posted by on Feb. 6, 2014 at 4:15 PM
  • 12 Replies

I have been trying to sell thins on Craigslist and Ebay with not a lot of luck. I am selling a unused Crib, maxi dress with tags, cutting board still in shrink wrap. plate organizer (4), China - Mikasa parchment dinner plates, Avenue Maxi Dress size 22/24, Scentsy type scent lamp - new, Used Maternity clothes, Baby seat

Not much in the way of responses. Any tips? Anybody on here sell on ebay? Are there any other places I could sell? Clothes are listed on Tradest.

by on Feb. 6, 2014 at 4:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rokduhouse
by on Feb. 6, 2014 at 4:24 PM

I definitely prefer Ebay over Craigslist. Craigslist always seems....kind of shady. 

Some tips for selling on Ebay are: make sure your item is photographed atractively and clearly and that the heading is very descriptive with all the needed information. Make sure it's categorized in the correct section. Most importantly, build up your rating. People are hesitant to bit on items from someone with no rating. 

Good luck!

Earn money posting links and reviews to your social media. 100% free & fun! CLICK HERE  to see how it works!

ZamilyMom
by New Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 4:42 PM
1 mom liked this

My family runs a bookstore on Ebay! It's how I am able to be a SAHM.  This is what works for us:  take detailed pictures of the items (from different angles for big stuff like the crib) and give a detailed description including any defects.  If you do not have a lot of positive feedback, try buying some things on ebay to boost your feedback rating.  (Your feedback score includes feedback both as a buyer and as a seller.)  Also, do an ebay search on the items you want to sell to make sure yours is priced competitively. 

The furniture might be easier to unload on Craig's list, due to shipping costs.  Craig's list has a local section for those who plan to pick up the goods.

bluelace777
by Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 4:53 PM

I would sell big things that are hard to ship on craigslist. I don't have advice there except to provide a picture and a good description. I read somewhere that plus sized clothing is a big seller on ebay. Maybe see what you could get for the baby things at a consignment shop.

Do you shop on ebay? Think about when you're searching for an item which listings get your attention. Accurate pictures and a good description are a must.

aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Feb. 6, 2014 at 5:03 PM

i like both for various things but for CL it really does depend on your area and how active it is. Have you tried local FB yard sale pages?

Tryin4GodsAngel
by Member on Feb. 7, 2014 at 9:46 AM
I have sold things on craigslist an havent had any trouble. But i do agree with the other ladies when they say make sure your photos are clear an put as much info on the products as possible.
chrisnjoesmom
Getting ready for the WW open house Saturday! Hope they like my decorations!
Yesterday at 8:49 PM
by Adrienne on Feb. 7, 2014 at 9:57 AM
I have sold things on eBay years ago but the fees now are a rip off and shipping is expensive and a hassle.

Craigslist is the way to go it's free. Esp for big items, non collectibles etc. or fb local garage sale groups. Also free. Haven't sold on fb yet but I watch what people sell and in look for something I'd like but usually it sells before I can ask price etc.

Make sure your pics are bright and items look clean and presentable.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chrisnjoesmom
Getting ready for the WW open house Saturday! Hope they like my decorations!
Yesterday at 8:49 PM
by Adrienne on Feb. 7, 2014 at 9:59 AM
Just looked back at the items you want to sell and I think you'd sell those fast on fb local garage sales those are items I see selling fast on there.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
specialwingz
by Corey on Feb. 7, 2014 at 10:46 AM

I used to ebay a lot.  I refuse to use Craigslist.  Ebay is anonymous.  Craigslist invites strangers to your home.  Too many bad things have happened to innocent people trying to sell things on CL.  

Honestly, my selling stuff days are over.  The internet sites are flooded with auction and selling sites.  I just donate all our stuff to the Women & Children's Domestic Violence Shelter.  They appreciate all they stuff.  And, my tax write off is bigger than anything I'd get for the stuff on an auction site.

rmp
by Bronze Member on Feb. 7, 2014 at 11:28 AM

I prefer Craigslist and I always meet them at church or a busy place . I have had a lot of luck and made a lot of money. I have kids so I do not have the time to be glued to my computer(cell phone does not have internet) or be at post office all the time. It works for me , 

AzariahsMother
by on Feb. 7, 2014 at 11:29 AM
I have done both. I really don't do EBay anymore because of the fees.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)