Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

Semi-Nice vs. Frugal

Posted by on Feb. 6, 2014 at 5:26 PM
  • 28 Replies

This may be more of a vent than anything.....

My parents will be celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary next month.  I am throwing a party for them for friends and family....and 50 years can make a lot of friends and family.  We fully expect anywhere from 150 to 200 people to show up at the (free) church fellowship building.

I'm doing this as NICE as possible, but also as frugally as possible.  I bought some party napkins, a personalized banner, and artificial gold rose petals from Oriental Trading....bought personalized invitations, metallic gold candles, gold confetti, metallic gold taffeta ribbon from eBay...bought cake making/decorating supplies from eBay.  I am making the cake/cupcakes myself along with almost all of the food.  We priced clear plastic plates and eating utensils along with large quantities of food from a restaurant supply store.

My mom is having a fit that it's going to cost me more than a few hundred dollars.  She makes me feel bad about it, but this is their 50TH ANNIVERSARY!  To me, it's something to really celebrate.  I don't want to go with cheap paper plates, no decorations, cheap food.  Ugh.

by on Feb. 6, 2014 at 5:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Feb. 6, 2014 at 6:48 PM

awww. well im not sure how you can convince her to just accept the GIFT you are giving. that is really wonderful that you are able to do this to show them how much you appreciate all they have done and express your love. hope they settle down and enjoy it too.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Feb. 6, 2014 at 6:51 PM

Thanks!  You're right....it's a gift, something I really want to do for them.

Quoting aneela:

awww. well im not sure how you can convince her to just accept the GIFT you are giving. that is really wonderful that you are able to do this to show them how much you appreciate all they have done and express your love. hope they settle down and enjoy it too.

aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Feb. 6, 2014 at 6:53 PM
1 mom liked this

i know some personalities it is tough to accept when others do nice things for them. she is worried how much it is costing you. but doesnt realise YOU WANT to do this and will do it as cost effective as possible anyway. hang in there. still some time for her to calm down lol. good luck tho.

Quoting michiganmom116:

Thanks!  You're right....it's a gift, something I really want to do for them.

AiW
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 7:09 PM
3 moms liked this
You're very careful with how you spend, so if you couldn't do it, you wouldn't. You're creating new memories built on old ones. For your parents and yourself, it's more about enjoying the moment. So, do what you want/can to celebrate, and enjoy.
anotherandree
by Inga on Feb. 6, 2014 at 7:18 PM
4 moms liked this
Is there a nice way to tell her to "shut up and show up"? Lol!
eatyourveges
by Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 7:20 PM
2 moms liked this
For that many people, I think anything under a grand is a miracle!
CDW75
by Candi on Feb. 6, 2014 at 7:37 PM
1 mom liked this
This! :)

Quoting AiW: You're very careful with how you spend, so if you couldn't do it, you wouldn't. You're creating new memories built on old ones. For your parents and yourself, it's more about enjoying the moment. So, do what you want/can to celebrate, and enjoy.
BeachLifeMama
by Beachy on Feb. 6, 2014 at 8:02 PM
1 mom liked this
Aww, she's probably just worrying you're spending too much. My mom is the same, gets mad for spending money on her but sometimes they just have to accept it because they deserve it. It's amazing how you spend less than a grand.
MissyB1011
by Silver Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 10:51 PM
2 moms liked this

Tell your Mom that you love her, but it's ok. 50 years is an amazing achievement and should be celebrated. That's a long time to push through the good and bad of marriages, love, and life.

For as frugal as you are, I'm sure you are doing your best. Tell her to enjoy the party and not worry. If you couldn't do something this size, then you wouldn't. Good luck in your planning, and have fun at the party!

chrisnjoesmom
by Adrienne on Feb. 6, 2014 at 11:32 PM
1 mom liked this
That's sweet of you. I'm sure the food will be fantastic!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)