Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

Freezing commercial pasta sauce- Can it be done?? What else do you freeze?

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2014 at 8:36 PM
  • 5 Replies

We never get through an entire  bottle of pasta sauce before it goes bad. How long will an unopened bottle of sauce keep anyway? The same thing with tomato paste and milk. I have tried freezing milk too. I have some milk frozen into ice cubes. The problem is I forgot to write down when I put the milk into the freezer. I have no idea how long they have been in there for. I've heard people say they put bread in the Freezer. I have not had much success with this. When the bread comes out it defrost or it is freezer burnt.

by on Feb. 12, 2014 at 8:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
kit_manson
by Member on Feb. 12, 2014 at 8:40 PM
1 mom liked this

I just ate some frozen pasta sauce tonight! As long as you don't freeze it in the glass, it's fine. I've never tried freezing milk. we just buy it 1 litre at a time. I also don't freeze bread, but I freezr muffins, loaves, cake etc and I've had no problems.

lilmama8408
by Member on Feb. 12, 2014 at 8:45 PM

The problem wth freezing milk is the proteins tend to seperate so while it would be good for cooking i wouldnt drink it. 

Ive heard you can freeze cheese but you need to seal it good.

You can freeze any sauce. I need to start doing this lol when i make my spaghetti sauce i tend to make way to much. 

The trick with bread (from what im told) is to freeze it on a cookie sheet and allow it to become hard then vacuum seal it and toss back in the freezer. Freezing it prior will keep it from getting mushed with the sealing. Another way after freezing it is to wrap it in plastic wrap, foil and plastic bag. 

Jaysgal426
by Member on Feb. 12, 2014 at 8:51 PM

Quoting kit_manson:

I just ate some frozen pasta sauce tonight! As long as you don't freeze it in the glass, it's fine. I've never tried freezing milk. we just buy it 1 litre at a time. I also don't freeze bread, but I freezr muffins, loaves, cake etc and I've had no problems.

You can freeze muffins and cake? I should try that. Everytime my husband and I bake I wind up throwing it out because how much cake or muffins can you eat? Can you freeze any type of cake or muffins? Even cake made from a box mix. 

kit_manson
by Member on Feb. 12, 2014 at 8:54 PM

I honestly don't know about the box mix, I don't use it. Muffins I wrap in plastic wrap and then foil, and then put a bunch in a freezer bag. Cake/loaves I slice and do the same. To defrost, I just take it out and let it sit on the counter. I usually end up microwaving the muffins though, lol

Quoting Jaysgal426:

Quoting kit_manson:

You can freeze muffins and cake? I should try that. Everytime my husband and I bake I wind up throwing it out because how much cake or muffins can you eat? Can you freeze any type of cake or muffins? Even cake made from a box mix. 

bluelace777
by Member on Feb. 12, 2014 at 10:39 PM

We freeze loaves of bread in the bags they come in. The trick is to defrost it in the fridge and break apart the slices so it defrosts evenly.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)