Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

So Glad I got a Second Opinion!

Posted by on Feb. 24, 2014 at 3:53 PM
  • 10 Replies
1 mom liked this

Last year, I took my car in to Midas for an oil change.  While there, I had them look and see what was causing my engine to be loud while driving.  They said it was the transmission mount and two lower engine mounts, and wanted nearly $1,000 to fix them.

A couple months later, I was talking with a parent from my daughter's school about the issue, and he referred me to a local business that he'd been to and had good reviews.  Now that I have the money for repairs, I called them and they said to bring the car in for a free check.  Thank goodness I did.

Now, Midas was correct that the trans mount needed to be replaced.  But the lower engine mounts are still in great shape and don't need replacing.  Also, Midas missed that the upper torque mount needs to be replaced.  I got a written estimate from the local shop, and it will cost me only $390 to replace the two mounts.  A big savings of about $600.

I'm so glad I was referred to the local shop and got the second opinion.  Had I gone with Midas, I would have spent a lot of extra money on unneeded repairs, and one mount would have been missed.

by on Feb. 24, 2014 at 3:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MissyB1011
by Silver Member on Feb. 24, 2014 at 5:42 PM

When I was younger and not so smart, I got taken by Midas. I found a local guy who is my sole car guy. He does all my stuff if it's beyond what my DH can do.

KenzieQsMommy
by Heather on Feb. 24, 2014 at 8:35 PM
Wow!! I'm glad you got a 2nd opinion too!!
katiebug840204
by Bronze Member on Feb. 24, 2014 at 10:11 PM
It's terrible car places take advantage of people like that!
diaperstodating
by Queen24Princes on Feb. 24, 2014 at 10:13 PM

Quoting KenzieQsMommy: Wow!! I'm glad you got a 2nd opinion too!!
sweetspice03
by Bronze Member on Feb. 24, 2014 at 10:25 PM

Yeah, Midas probably thought that they were helping me by getting the lower mounts replaced at the same time.  Or they thought the lower mounts were "bad", when in fact they're just fine.  I'm definitely not going to Midas anymore.  Plus it's good to support the local businesses.

Quoting katiebug840204: It's terrible car places take advantage of people like that!

BeachLifeMama
by Beachy on Feb. 24, 2014 at 11:05 PM
Glad you went somewhere else. That's happened to me but it was Pep Boys.
taniamorse85
by Bronze Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 2:44 AM

Local repair shops are always my first choice.  Most of the time, they are far more trustworthy and reliable.

I love the shop we go to.  The guy who runs it is always willing to go the extra mile to find more affordable, yet still good, parts, and sometimes he'll significantly cut down the charge for labor for his regular customers.

JasonsMom2007
by Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 2:59 AM

I'll never trust one of those big chains!  Thankfully my parents owned an auto repair shop for most of my life so I've never had to take my van in.  They're selling the equipment off now and it makes me really nervous :(  It's so strange to see it go.

AzariahsMother
by on Feb. 26, 2014 at 11:08 AM

Glad you got 1 too. 

mamavaness
by on Feb. 26, 2014 at 11:16 AM
I dont trust auto shops. I usually just go to my uncles because I would like to believe he wont rip me off lol. Glad you got a second opinion.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN