Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

let's get healthy!!!

Posted by on Feb. 26, 2014 at 2:16 AM
  • 27 Replies
I want to start growing my own veggies at home any suggestions, tips? I'm going to research how to start and maintain a garden just as soon as I'm done writing this 5pg paper :-)
by on Feb. 26, 2014 at 2:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LaughCryLive
by Bronze Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 3:28 AM
My mom had a nice garden with her landlord. I helped take it down. That was the extent of it. Ha. This year old help out more. I can't wait.
Shygirl951
by on Feb. 26, 2014 at 3:44 AM
Lol well maybe we can learn together. I've aided in the upkeep of one but never started my own from nothing but dirt and seeds lol

Quoting LaughCryLive: My mom had a nice garden with her landlord. I helped take it down. That was the extent of it. Ha. This year old help out more. I can't wait.
thefiregoddess
by Optimus Prime on Feb. 26, 2014 at 4:19 AM
Dirt fertilizer if your soil needs it, tilling weding water and sun.

And Keep.hungry puppies away from it!

That's all I have.
MommyJill87
by Jill on Feb. 26, 2014 at 4:40 AM
How exciting! Right now alls I do is scallions in a cup in my window sill. Once we have more room I wanna grow lots of stuff.
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Feb. 26, 2014 at 7:50 AM
1 mom liked this

Well...

1.  Pick an area that gets plenty of sun.

2.  enrich the yard soil with plenty of humus, compost, and manure from farm animals

3.  pick easy veggies/fruits to grow.  Learn about each veggie/fruit and what it needs.  Learn about companion planting.

4.  don't plant more than you'll eat (or preserve)

5.  Mulch between plants/rows to keep down the weeds.

6.  Water as needed, but be careful not to overwater.

Any questions?  I've been gardening for over 30 years and don't mind answering questions.

clairewait
by Bronze Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 9:16 AM

I'm growing a container garden this year.

I've done tomatoes for the last three summers with minimal success. My yard is not huge and I'm not the most attentive gardener - so this is my compromise.

Google it and look at the images. I'm pretty excited.

Claire Wait

My blog: TheUnderToad.com

RosePetalTears
by Silver Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 10:06 AM

Quoting michiganmom116:

Well...

2.  enrich the yard soil with plenty of humus, compost, and manure from farm animals

3.  pick easy veggies/fruits to grow.  Learn about each veggie/fruit and what it needs.  Learn about companion planting.

Any questions?  I've been gardening for over 30 years and don't mind answering questions.

i agree with all of this :)

If you don't have an established garden plot all ready, it might be a good idea to make a raised bed. Sometimes the natural soil needs ALOT of work before anything wants to grow in it....mine does and i'm on yr 3 with my current bed and still having to work on it

AzariahsMother
by on Feb. 26, 2014 at 11:02 AM
1 mom liked this

I have no tips sorry. 

Shygirl951
by on Feb. 26, 2014 at 5:51 PM
I was going to start it in the spot my uncles garden uaed ti be in but nothing has been there for two years lol???

Quoting RosePetalTears:

Quoting michiganmom116:

Well...

i agree with all of this :)

If you don't have an established garden plot all ready, it might be a good idea to make a raised bed. Sometimes the natural soil needs ALOT of work before anything wants to grow in it....mine does and i'm on yr 3 with my current bed and still having to work on it

Shygirl951
by on Feb. 26, 2014 at 5:52 PM
Awesome, what do you grow? I'm definitely going to address my questions to you after I finish my research :-)

Quoting michiganmom116:

Well...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN